eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Stripe payment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stripe doesn't offer any seller protection should something go wrong or if you end up with a dishonest customer. I'd almost be afraid to let customers use another service like bitcoin thru stripe. Who knows how many extra stipulations they would have. I've seen sellers forced to eat $60+ out of pocket because a dishonest customer filed a chargeback to get a refund or because a customer claimed their card was stolen.

Stripe doesn't even consult the seller to ask what happened or give the seller time to request the items sent back first, they get the notice from the buyer's bank and if the seller doesn't immediately refund with no questions asked, whether the original merchandise is returned or not, if stripe has to take the money from the seller's bank account the seller is charged an additional $30 or so chargeback fee. They might try to say well there's an additional $20 fee because the payment was from bitcoin. You never know.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
creativewench

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
Well stripe doesn't offer any seller protection should something go wrong or if you end up with a dishonest customer. I'd almost be afraid to let customers use another service like bitcoin thru stripe. Who knows how many extra stipulations they would have. I've seen sellers forced to eat $60+ out of pocket because a dishonest customer filed a chargeback to get a refund or because a customer claimed their card was stolen.

Stripe doesn't even consult the seller to ask what happened or give the seller time to request the items sent back first, they get the notice from the buyer's bank and if the seller doesn't immediately refund with no questions asked, whether the original merchandise is returned or not, if stripe has to take the money from the seller's bank account the seller is charged an additional $30 or so chargeback fee. They might try to say well there's an additional $20 fee because the payment was from bitcoin. You never know.

OK I'm sold. Staying with PayPal only.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creativewench wrote:
tigercreekgifts wrote:
Just keep in mind, if you do decide to use Bit Coin you can't use it here at ecrater because it's not a supported payment method here and inviting a buyer to leave the ecrater checkout to pay with Bit Coin would be against the rules.

Even though it's accepted through Stripe?

This is my own personal view (and not policy at eCrater) ...

If the buyer hold BTC, and wants to pay you in USD, then I think Stripe might do the conversion (which is no different than the conversion of any other currency to USD). eCrater does not offer a way to list prices in BTC (only USD, GBP and AUD) so there would be no way to list the item with a BTC price (and expect eCrater to calculate your fees in BTC). That Stripe allows BTC as an input to the transaction, does not necessarily mean that you can get BTC out. We had a very similar problem with Google Checkout where GCO would not allow us to accept foreign currencies, via the a non-US GCO account, unless we could find a bank account that would hold GBP or AUD. Within the US, that is a very difficult problem.

If eCrater ever wanted to make a BTC oriented store-front, then it might open interesting prospects.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creativewench wrote:

Thinking of turning off stripe myself for various reasons. Nice Minecraft creeper avatar by the way.
creativewench

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
creativewench wrote:

Thinking of turning off stripe myself for various reasons. Nice Minecraft creeper avatar by the way.

Thanks. I made an enderman for my son's friends birthday.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I have Stripe, I don't get many payments through it. So far one this month, but then I haven't had much in the way of sales either.

Someone had posted a link to an article about Stripe and all these people were complaining about it. I read their comments and most hated Stripe. I left a positive comment about Stripe since I don't have any problems with them. Since then I get updates when someone else posts there. Got one the other day mad that Stripe had done something they weren't happy about and is sitting on $5000 from 3 orders that had gone bad somehow or they refunded it to the buyer or something (I can't remember the whole rant). What struck me was the amount. If I was selling something in that stratosphere of money I would be shipping by registered mail plus anything else I needed to be sure that the buyer got their item as well as being sure they weren't going to scam me. It seems like all the really irate people were new sellers using Stripe that ran into big trouble with Stripe. But from the tone of their letters, I wonder what kind of job did they do listing whatever they are selling since it sounds so much like the same kind of flack they we hear some people here moaning about and then you look at their listings and they are abysmal. Not saying that all of the complainers were lousy sellers, but I wasn't picking up any 'normal' sellers from what they were saying. How can so many people all have their first sales go so bad that the credit card company refunds their money and that means Stripe takes it away from them? A lot of us here us Stripe without those problems. So is it one type of seller or what?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, any one of us could be targeted if a buyer claims their credit card was stolen, no matter how good of a seller we are. Stripe doesn't have the same approval period like GCO did. Remember when GCO would keep us waiting 15 mins. to 3 days sometimes because something about the payment made them nervous, so they would check every little detail and sometimes we'd hear back 'we have cancelled this transaction due to suspected fraud' or whatever. Stripe will approve any payment if all things match up, depending on your settings. Someone could easily steal their wealthy cousins CC and know their address, zip, etc.

If that happenes with stripe, I have heard a few long time ecrater sellers say stripe did nothing to protect them, took the money without giving them time to process what really happened, they lost the money and the item, and were charged a fee because someone ELSE stole someone's CC and a $30 order turned into $90 worth of debt. That's not the sellers fault but they were charged for it anyway. PP has seller protection. The one time this happened to me with PP, I shipped the item the next afternoon and 5 days after the order was shipped I get a note from PP, sorry but we found out this transaction was paid for with a stolen CC DO NOT ship any goods. I called them and said, you're just now telling me this 5 days after I already shipped? I checked the tracking and the package already arrived yesterday evening.

My seller protection kicked in and PP did refund the original CC but they let me keep my money too because the goods had already been shipped. PP lost money and took the blame for it because they said they should have caught it sooner. But this is not the reason I am tired of stripe, I sell moderately priced very low scam alert items that no one would see as worth risking jail over. The few times I have sold electronics, it's been a $25 cell phone or a $14.99 old landline phone, or a $70 laptop that was crashed and for repairs only, nothing really risky. And my stripe transfers are daily, I just have another reason I'm thinking of cutting it off.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
Stripe will approve any payment if all things match up, depending on your settings. Someone could easily steal their wealthy cousins CC and know their address, zip, etc.

You cannot make that statement, without making the same statement about PayPal Express. There is no difference in getting the charge to process. The difference is what happens after the fact.

The problem you describe is not a shortcoming of Stripe, it is a problem with how long it takes any card charge to appear on the customer's statement. My own CC transactions typically take 2-3 business days before I see them. So there is a window of vulnerability that can be exploited. The card issuer will typically see a problem very quickly. If the pattern of charges jumps out of the norm, they will contact the card holder to inquire if they are legitimate.

That it took 5 days before you were notified, suggests that the card holder was someone who used their card heavily, and the charge looked normal.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was not about how stripe decides whether a payment is declined, the point was that if something happens later on and the transaction is found to be made with a stolen credit card and the original card owner files a chargeback or the merchandise was already shipped to the thief, PP will protect you while stripe will not protect you. Obviously, stripe and PP use the same criteria when deciding what cards to accept or decline but that was not the point of my post so why would you feel the need to correct me on something that was not mentioned, because it wasn't the focus here?

When I respond to a topic that you create, you skip over my answers and acknowledge the next person in line even if they provide the same answers I did, unless you are convinced that I have made a mistake then you do respond to me. I'd rather you just not respond to me anymore if you always feel like you have to point things out that I already know because my post was misinterpreted, and I will show you the same respect. I'm not trying to be rude or irrational, I am very intelligent so it hurts my feelings when someone tries to make me feel ignorant about something I've been doing for quite some time with success, whether done intentionally or not.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the type of PP used, or stripe, it can take 3-10 days before the money is actually shown as deducted from the buyer's bank balance, or it can show up instantly if your bank has automatic deductions, and some banks DO instantly hand over the money to PP and stripe and deduct it from the buyer's balance which would make theft detection a much faster process for payment processors. I am aware that banks that take several days to completely process and transfer a payment, it would take several days for PP or stripe to be made aware that a CC was stolen.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
The point was not about how stripe decides whether a payment is declined, the point was that if something happens later on and the transaction is found to be made with a stolen credit card and the original card owner files a chargeback or the merchandise was already shipped to the thief, PP will protect you while stripe will not protect you. Obviously, stripe and PP use the same criteria when deciding what cards to accept or decline but that was not the point of my post so why would you feel the need to correct me on something that was not mentioned, because it wasn't the focus here?

The Stripe transaction would likely be settled in your favor if you ship to the address approved by the card issuer. The big problem that most people face is that many customers legitimately want to ship to a 3rd address, and want you, the merchant, to take responsibility.

The customer can solve this problem, but most of them refuse to expend the energy to make it work in a way that protects everyone.

It is true that PayPal may provide some coverage. That coverage is dependent on your shipping to the 'Seller Protection Address'. If you ship to any other address, PayPal is no better than Stripe.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
When I respond to a topic that you create, you skip over my answers and acknowledge the next person in line even if they provide the same answers I did, unless you are convinced that I have made a mistake then you do respond to me. I'd rather you just not respond to me anymore if you always feel like you have to point things out that I already know because my post was misinterpreted, and I will show you the same respect. I'm not trying to be rude or irrational, I am very intelligent so it hurts my feelings when someone tries to make me feel ignorant about something I've been doing for quite some time with success, whether done intentionally or not.

The last time we went down this highway, I asked that you take it private, if you thought there might be a personal attack. There was no personal attack. There was a statement of fact, that I disagreed with. But you took it personally, and said so publicly. I have no choice but to respond publicly.

I don't go after people personally. If you are that sensitive, then back away from things that might be controversial.

Payment services are highly controversial in the eCrater community. People want it to be black and white. People want one to be perfect, and the other to be evil. Neither of them are perfect and neither are evil. The problems usually arise when the seller (with or without the customer's suggestion) does something that is risky. They usually do it because they need one more sale to make this month's numbers.

Sometimes they need the numbers to pay bills. Sometimes they need the numbers so they can achieve bragging rights. I try, as hard as possible, to avoid risky payments. Thus far this year I've covered my bills three months, The other eight I have been dipping into savings. I'm way behind last year, and I'm under water for the year. Hopefully December will at least get me back to break even, or maybe a little positive. We'll see.

So avoiding risky payments is a sensitive subject for me. Avoiding those payments might be a reason why I'm under water, but it may also be a reason why I've had few (if any) chargebacks to deal with.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Stripe payment today and as I was checking it out, I realized that it works basically like a regular credit card. if you charge something on your Discover card, later that day or the next it will show as pending on your on-line activity and then it goes the rest of the way through. Unless the owner of the card complains, the owner pays the bill when it comes. If it isn't there charge, they may not notice it until they get their statement. At that point they call their credit card company and a hold is put on the amount or it is credited back immediately depending on the circumstances. When I bought an airline ticket and they put me on a bus for half the trip, I called the cc and complained and they immediately gave me my money back. Now the airline could have objected but didn't and they were probably pretty glad that not everyone asked for their money back. But these things are all done between the credit company and the purchaser. Unlike them, the PP has put themselves as a middleman between the buyer and the cc. Chargebacks don't work the same way.

I'm not saying I like going through all that rigmarole if a charge is refused, but that is what all the other cards have people go through. PP just gets more in the way and also allows buyers to have more rights than normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: