eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Stupid Question, but I'm going to ask anyway
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens, I've had mine set up to exclude bots and my own hits for about 3 years now but since then, they have changed the layout and controls of GA a lot. It's almost impossible for me to find certain functions that I enabled a few years ago because google has moved them around or changed the name of the function. There are some regular functions that I used to use all the time, but I can't even locate the settings for those functions these days. They need to stop moving stuff around every few years.

By the way if you do manage to find that setting, it will only exclude those hits from the numbers you see in your GA account so you can get a more accurate view count. It will not exclude those hits from the view you see while logged into your ecrater account.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
jensemporium

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the response. Guess I will have to go hunting. Smile Although the whole analytics thing is a bit overwhelming for an old mind like mine!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jensemporium wrote:
tigercreekgifts wrote:

If you use Google analytics, you can set it up to not show bot hits and not show your own hits,...

Thanks for the info on how to enable Google Analytics with eCrater. I did that long time ago.

But what I didn't know was how to set up analytics so that it doesn't show bot hits and hot show one's own hits. If you know how that is done, I'd appreciate some info on that. Thanks in advance.
To filter your own hits, you have to use an internet connection that assigns a permanent or semi-permanent IP address (or spend a lot of time updating your filters in GA). Most (if not all) dial up connections will give you an IP address every time you activate your internet connection. I use a cable connection and have a semi-permanent IP address. Every few months it seems I'll have to re-boot the connection and they assign a new IP address. I don't know the status with DSL and satellite connections. Maybe someone else can shed some light on those.

So, step one is to determine your IP address. Do a search for IP address and you'll have a choice of sites that will give you that information. Your IP address will be a series of numbers, something like 123.45.678.852, and you need to write down the number including the periods.

2) Log into your GA account. From your dashboard click on Admin., then click on All Filters in the first column and click on the button to +Add Filter. Add a name that you will understand for this filter, like "Don't count me". Laughing
Filter Type: select Predefined
In the 3 boxes across make these selections:

Select filter type: Exclude
Select source or destination: traffic from the IP addresses
Select expression: that are equal to

Next, add your IP address in the box under IP address

In the last 2 boxes, click on your site in the box on the left and click the Add button which will move your site name to the box on the right.

BE SURE to click the SAVE button at the bottom of the screen!

I keep a sticky note with my IP address and the date I checked GA near my monitor. From time to time I'll check my IP address to see if it's changed, so I know to update my filter information.

I thought GA filtered most if not all bots from the count, but I don't know. Maybe Tiger will come along and add more information related to the bots.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see Tiger answered while I was typing. I also thought of something else about the IP address. That is the address that your home computer is using. If you access the internet via your smart phone connecting to your home wireless modem, the phone will also have an IP address that will be different from the desktop. I don't know if that IP address is related to the phone or my home wireless modem, but I added that address as a second filter.

I haven't checked to see if the IP address stays the same when I connect somewhere else. Still learning about smart phone & the internet.
jensemporium

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards
Thanks for the detailed info. Even MY old mind understood it. lol

Followed the directions and hope I did it right and it worked.
Thanks again.
creativewench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jensemporium"]
jensemporium wrote:
tigercreekgifts wrote:

If you use Google analytics, you can set it up to not show bot hits and not show your own hits, but the hit counter on ecrater counts spider bots as views and every time you preview your store in live mode, your own views are counted too. An item on ecrater can show 68 hits, but when I check that item in GA I can see that only 47 hits came from real people, the other hits are spiders and my own views.

Thanks for the info on how to enable Google Analytics with eCrater. I did that long time ago.

But what I didn't know was how to set up analytics so that it doesn't show bot hits and hot show one's own hits. If you know how that is done, I'd appreciate some info on that. Thanks in advance.

OK I followed the directions above and set up an account-and think i found the bot spyder turn off thing-go under admin under the third column (all web site data) is view settings-scroll down to bot filtering
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sheila, I could not remember where that setting was. In 2014 my shop was on hold for several months and when I reopened my store, I noticed that my GA account layout was completely different than before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: