eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

sold item

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintageblend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: sold item Reply with quote

I sold one item last month and just noticed that it still gets hits even if it marked as hidden. Is it still visible? Or all these hits come from buyer who bought it and now through this link check my store?
I don't want to delete it (if there is such option). Actually don't you think that it would be helpful for sellers if all "sold items" could be visible for potential customers? I'm also Etsy seller and noticed that many customers check "sold items" page. Maybe Ecrater could make something like that?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The items are no longer visible in your store or in the marketplace but they remain visible and searchable on google for several months after being sold, and also if you posted the items to facebook, pinterest etc. people can still find them. Most of us don't delete out sold items in case we get more in stock so if we need to relist we just click unhide and update the quantity, but also because paypal and U.S. based banks extended the period where chargebacks and refunds can be made so we also keep the listings in case a customer doesn't read the listing all the way thru and complains a few weeks later that we messed up, that way we'll have proof with the original listing.

So it is good to keep the listings but keep them hidden. Some sellers will edit their sold listings to say "this item has been sold but check out my store to see the similar items I have" that way the listings are still hidden on ecrater but customers who find the link on google can see the updated text. It can take google months or even a few years to remove sold listings.
vintageblend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: sold item Reply with quote

Thank you tigercreekgifts for answer.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you will run into though are people saying, that if whoever you are holding the item for doesn't pay, they want it, please, ASAP, etc. So then I have to explain that it is sold even though I do mark sold items as on hold and add a blurb at the top of the listing info that it is sold. This week I was able to track to where a customer had seen the hidden listing and sure enough, there was the sold info, but since she apparently hadn't READ the description, she wanted it PDQ. Many are like 'I have the money right now and can pay you now' (basically trying to bump to the head of the line for the item)

So I do keep all my sold items on hold since it gives me a chance to try to suggest something else, etc. but be prepared for folks that don't read any blurb you write and insert in the listing. I especially do this since I sell patterns and many times I can source more of them and it is much easier to do a relist if I don't delete them AND I still have all the old links that can bring in customers now that there is another copy for sale.
vintageblend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: sold item Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore,
You have really hot items in your store. No wonder that some clients are willing even pay for "sold" products.
I don't have such situation right now, but thank you for the message.
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to change 'on hold' to 'sold' or would eCrater consider changing it? I get several messages a month also asking if the person I am holding it for doesn't purchase it to let them know, then I have to explain it is actually sold. Why do buyers always want the sold out patterns? Smile

I think since the standard across any site I have sold or purchased from is 'sold' or 'sold out' it confuses buyers when they see 'on hold'. I also don't want to delete the listings as they still draw traffic to the site and they may purchase other items if they know one has sold. As it is now they likely leave and wait for me to message them back and, unless I have something similar to suggest, they are gone.

Just an idea that I think would make things easier Smile
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing on hold to say sold instead has been suggested at least a few times per year over the last several years so I don't think that ecrater considers that a top priority. Maybe ecrater uses "on hold" on purpose, knowing it could attract potential customers to come take a look anyway to see if the seller has other similar items? If you think about it, some buyers probably do click thru to our stores and see the same item in a different color or pattern, while seeing a listing that says "sold" may cause most buyers to think they don't have any more of those so I'll check elsewhere. Because I'd be willing to bet that most buyers don't take the time to ask questions, probably only about 3% of buyers will contact us and say do you have anymore?
finickyfinds

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for replying tigercreekgifts Smile

I can understand your thinking and maybe it depends on the type of product that a shop sells. Mine is all sewing patterns so more limiting I think than if there were a variety in a store.

I know out of all the messages I have received not a single one was followed up with a purchase of a different product. I make very few sales on eCrater compared to other venues so I am unsure if some buyers are looking and just not contacting me but it isn't resulting into a sale.

Maybe having a choice between 'out of stock' or 'sold' might even be a better option. To me, and obviously those viewing my shop, having a message of 'on hold' implies that it is available still but waiting for payment.

There must be a reason every other site I have shopped on also uses those terms. Oh well, it is what it is, I will just keep responding to buyers asking questions and attempt to point them in another direction if I have something similar to offer Smile
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably has to do with vacation. I put my store on hold once a year and all my items say on hold. When I come back I take it off vacation and the ones that were placed on hold are activated and the ones that were sold out remain on hold.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a seller offers one of a kind items, it makes more sense to have the statement SOLD and I would be pleased with that change. However, if I were selling new items that I stock from a wholesaler, I would want the system to remain as is.

Personally, I wish sellers had a store wide choice of the wording used, either On Hold or Sold which would always be used for sold - Qty 0 items. If we had this choice, it should be separate from the notation that our entire store is on hold. If we put our store On Hold, each item should say the same.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fincky I try with all my blurbs to also insert a note about the fact that currently the item is sold out. But many buyers are not readers so they ignore the message. If they question me, I do try to help them out the best I can with links back to my store. I have converted a few to orders.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: