eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Mary, someone I knew

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Mary, someone I knew Reply with quote

Mary is someone that I have known on and off for the past 5 years or so. When I met here, she was in her 70s, and was caring for her husband who was a bit invalid. Her husband passed away about a year ago.

Mary had a large booth at the big flea market, about 12 miles down the road. Mary sold pots, pans, dishes, and everything you can think of kitchen related. She lived about 55-60 miles further down the road, in the next larger city. Three times a week, she drove up to our town to sell the kitchen stuff. Her van was always full to overflowing.

Back around Christmas she mentioned that she was closing up, as she was getting up in her years, and was tired of dealing the folks that ran the flea market, and with all the driving. I thought briefly about making her an offer, but better sense told me that I have enough to sell without taking on more. Her inventory probably took up more space than my backstock does.

For a variety of reasons, I had not been down to say hello for a month or 6 weeks. Today I was chatting with someone up here, and found out that she is no longer with us. Mary was driving home last week, and was involved in an accident. The other person in her van was killed then, and she died later at the hospital. The accident involved a farm tractor, and I suspect after sundown.

Rest In Peace Mary, I will miss your crankiness and friendship.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chieflandcitizen.com/content/crash-us-19-claims-two-lives
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Florida we called it Useless 19. I quit drinking after riding on it in a car driven by a man with more than a skin full.

Sorry for the loss of your 'friend'. I know her feeling of it being more than she can handle. I've been trying to close up for a couple of years but can't get rid of the inventory.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:
I've been trying to close up for a couple of years but can't get rid of the inventory.

Buying stuff is much easier than selling stuff. Unless it happens to be something in high demand and short supply. Back in January, I watched Mary selling some vintage pieces of Corning-Ware to someone from Atlanta. She knew they were worth more, but was happy to move the stuff, and would have less to pack up come the end of March.

My best guess, looking at the calendar, is that she sold on that weekend (Friday, Saturday & Sunday), then was driving back up on Monday, with the guy buying her out, to get it all packed up. That is when it happened.

Three days of making that run was hard enough, but add the fourth morning, plus having someone else in the van distracting her, and that's the recipe that set it up. I try really hard to keep my driving down the past few years. Every mile is cumulative, and contributes to something like that happening.
43rdStreetComicsCards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn thats like an hour north of me yea 19 is horrible especially in pinellas I almost dread moving back there in a few months
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: