eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

postage is way off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catesgeneralstore

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: postage is way off Reply with quote

I sold a plush toy jersey cow, it was only $4.99, but it was at 16 ounces, but for some reason, when she paid, the shipping was only $1.36, how did that happen. Is the shipping calculator off or what. I will probably have to give her the money back. First time this has happened
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
43rdStreetComicsCards

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never figure that thing out why i stick with flat rate postages but then again everything I sell pretty much is so small and light weight dont have a problem like that but was afraid of something just like this happening though
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you what I suspect happened since I don't use the calculated postage, I go strictly by the matrix. When I checked on several of your items, I was offered 4 different prices, one of them being first class mail. Your Hippo monkey sports a 1st class price of $2.45, then priority of $6.95, then the medium rate box at $13.45 and then the large box at $18.75. For the item your customer ordered, they apparently choose the cheapest postage price to pay, which any normal person would do, unless they were honest enough and knowledgeable enough to realize that the item they were buying wasn't going to be able to be mailed for the 1st class price.

You can get around this by going with flat rate shipping or using the matrix. Maybe someone that uses calculated shipping can help you out.

Anyhow according to eCRATER rules, you can't ask for extra shipping, but you can obviously cancel the sale if it will put you into no profit or a deficit. If you need to cancel you need to send a polite email to your customer ASAP outlining what happened and that you have to cancel the sale. You may have a customer that wants the item bad enough to buy it again with the appropriate amount of postage, but you can't ask for extra as much as I understand the rules. You don't look like you have had many sales yet, so you have to weigh the pros and cons of whether it is worth losing a sale over this.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ catesgeneralstore ... How did you have your weight listed for the plush toy? If the packaged weight was 16 oz., you should have listed it at 1.0 which would be one pound. I looked at the Hippo mentioned by Moon and it is offering First Class Mail at $2.45 which would mean you have told the system that the packed weight is 3 ozs or under. How is your weight listed on the item? It sounds like you have the weight listed as 0.1875 or less.

It's fine to offer the shipping options you have as long as every item in your store will fit in a medium flat rate box. The customer doesn't know which box you must use, so they assume they are free to select from the options provided. I would suggest you delete the options for medium flat rate & large flat rate. That way they can choose either First Class or Priority Mail. If they select Priority Mail, they will be charge the full retail price for Priority Mail. You are free to use the flat rate box OR a regional box since both are Priority Mail.

If you offer First Class and Priority, First Class will ONLY be offered to the customer when the weight is 13 ounces or under. If the weight is over 13oz, the system will only offer the customer Priority Mail. NOTE: 13 ozs MUST be entered as 0.8125. All weights less than a full pound have to be entered as a decimal fraction of 1 pound. There is a handy chart with all the conversions in the forum FAQ on Shipping.

If you had entered your weight correctly on the item that sold, then my next question would be what you have in column one of your shipping matrix as a back up. Maybe the postal system timed out and the system reverted to your shipping matrix for backup.

I'll help you work out the problem. Between my 4 stores, I use every system offered on eCRATER and I'm willing to help.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone would come along to help that uses that system! Yeah Sheila.
catesgeneralstore

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed all my items that were less than a pound to decimal fractions, now what about items that are over a pd, do you write it as 1.4 if its one pound four ounces or do you put it in as 1.25
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catesgeneralstore wrote:
I changed all my items that were less than a pound to decimal fractions, now what about items that are over a pd, do you write it as 1.4 if its one pound four ounces or do you put it in as 1.25
Your item weights will always be entered as a decimal fraction of a pound. If you enter 1.4 the computer is going to round up to 1 lb 7 oz. If your item has a packed weight of 1 lb 4 oz it should be entered as 1.25. Likewise, if you enter 2.625 the postage is going to calculate a weight of 2 lbs 10 oz. This is really important for weights under 1 pound AND when the customer orders multiple items.

I printed the chart from the FAQ on shipping and keep it beside my desk so it's handy when I'm listing.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: