eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

PayPal Withholding Payment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we had a seller here if my memory is correct, that would not take any e/payments. As far as they were concerned they had run their business for a long time without them and they weren't going to change then. Not sure if they are still here and how they are getting paid.

When I first started selling on line, It wasn't unusual to get a MO and even a personal check even though my payment options clearly stated I wouldn't take them. So I would wait for the MO the people would send me, and it would turn out to be a personal check. So I would rip it in half and scan the pieces to show the 'buyer' that I had destroyed it and that I either needed a MO or PP payment. Some folks think no rules apply to them. I had found out the hard way what a mess a bad check could make of my checking account really fast when a check bounces. But over the years I've had fewer and fewer people request alternate forms of payments. Especially since most sellers will hold the order until everything is successfully processed.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Cosmic, Not sure I'm brave enough to ask my ex-Marine PO clerk to cash a MO from Japan or even Canada. Scared he would laugh me out of the PO, maybe I will someday when I don't have and actual one to cash.

Yes they will. The post office here cashed a ~$200 M/O from Japan Post about a month ago. The buyer wanted the items so much, that he was willing to do this. The documentation for this is in the IMM, section 371 "International Money Orders".

But understand that they won't cash just any M/O from Canada or Japan. It has to be the one issued by the post office there, on the appropriate form, and payable is USD. There are a few other countries as well, but mostly minor ones. See the IMM for the current list.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyCloset wrote:
Quote:
My bank offers the Western Union option for transferring internationally with a fee of $9.00 + 1% of the amount. I would only use this to transfer money to out of country relatives that were in a jam and needed instant cash.

Western Union is expensive and I think it can be used to send money only to countries, where there is no other better method.

Always check, if currency of Your relatives' country is supported by TransferWise:

https://transferwise.com/help/article/1570071/basic-information/supported-countries

The first transfer with them is free (at least used to be) and next have 0.5% to 2.5% fee - it depends on what currencies you are sending from and to:

e.g.
sending EUR to USD - it's only 0.5% https://transferwise.com/pricing#?from=EUR&to=USD

USD to EUR - 1% https://transferwise.com/pricing#?from=USD&to=EUR

etc.

They've also added some minimum fee.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cosmicray, thanks for the information about international Money Orders. I was unaware of that feature and always love to add new information.

@EmptyCloset and trafficjammers, the information about other ways to send money is interesting if you need to send money to relatives. However, as it relates to sales in you eCRATER stores, it would be against the eCRATER terms of service to use one of these methods.

@EmptyCloset, I wouldn't drop PayPal and I would add Stripe. Give customers both choices. Unless you plan on selling high risk items you shouldn't have any problems with either service after you've established a current record of sales with no problems.
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyCloset, like other members suggested. If you want to sell in eCrater. Read the terms for the payment methods you can offer in eCrater.

About the PayPal 21 days hold. As far I read in the past few years, it was implemented only for "new" or return eBay sellers. But PayPal in general can hold your payments if they consider the transaction risky/dangerous.

As seller in the Internet in the 21 century with a lot of people with electronics devices connected to the Internet. If you focus in "paper" payments and close the doors to PayPal, Stripe or any electronic method. If you don't sell "mana" or "ambrosia", your business will be limited and ready to doom.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if we are going to run a business electronically, we need to be able to use even the electronic payments as well. I still remember having and internet book selling friend that apparently kept all her sales records on paper in a binder. I couldn't believe that she didn't use her computer for that as handling figures is one of the things computers do best. I know it would be hard for me to find anything on line that would put me in a car to go buy a MO to pay for something on line. There are costs associated to getting a MO so if you find the same thing only a bit more expensive, I would go with it rather than driving to get a paper payment where there is never proof that the it arrived where it was supposed to.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to see Your shop - nomen omen - empty...

I just hope that You will choose some suitable payment option and list Your items online.
EmptyCloset

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistsUnion wrote:
I'm sorry to see Your shop - nomen omen - empty...

I just hope that You will choose some suitable payment option and list Your items online.

Laughing Laughing @ArtistsUnion Well done!! I will then have to change the name to FullCloset.

I wasn't planning on using MO's as an option, those days are gone.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: