eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

setting up store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: setting up store Reply with quote

I am having a hard time setting up my stioe. The tutorials are very old and seem out of date and don't answer my questions.
First off the templates. I see there is a button that "light sup". But the free templates are way too small to view. And when I select one and hit update, nothing seems to happen.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you select a template, you click the button below the template, click the update button, then scroll up and click preview to see how the selected template looks. Did you read the tutorial available in the FAQs from the main page of ecrater.com? It's in the answer to the last question. It is a little outdated, but it does cover a lot of questions.

The answer to additional questions can be found here in the forum.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Still a templete problem Reply with quote

When I click on templates and hit preview, I get the same template every time. Very strange.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Still a templete problem Reply with quote

NormsPlace wrote:
When I click on templates and hit preview, I get the same template every time. Very strange.
Did you click on the update button at the bottom of the page after making your selection and before clicking preview? If you don't click update, no change will be made.

Also, you may need to add something to the store to see the update.

Just an FYI, there are 3 styles of templates. The first three are "premium" templates and they are not free. There is a charge of $10.00 per month to use these templates and they are very different from the other templates.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see seven templates that are the original template that comes in seven different color schemes. If you click here: [urlhttp://sheiladeesbooks.ecrater.com/[/url] you can see an example of the original template using random products instead of selected categories. Here's an example of a seller using an original template with featured categories: http://moonwishesstore.ecrater.com/

The eleven templates in the middle are the new style template. The main eCrater marketplace uses this style template and the eleven choices are different color combinations. Here's an example of a seller using one of the new style templates with Featured Categories: http://lastade-designs.ecrater.com/

If you click on the www button at the bottom of any forum reply you will be taken to that seller's store. I think you need to take some time browsing on the eCrater marketplace and viewing some seller's stores to get a feel for options you like and ones you don't. Also, you can change your template anytime, so don't let the selection of your template stop you from adding information about your store.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see how this oemplate stuff works. Nithing seems to work. Some of the directions I find do not relate to the current page. I also don't get how to put a flat rate in each oIem. Stuff about two rates, zones.... I know what IO want to charge. BUT I can't put shipping information in the description.
I am close to admitting defeat before I have even started.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed reply. Now I see it.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing works for me.
Fast and easy indeed.
I have used many sites. This is easily the most difficult. Surrender is imminent.
Ia m getting no where.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your reply again.
Nothing makes any sense. I just can't understand this stuff.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - eCRATER really is easy but you need to take your time. You seem to be worried about the template for your store as well as flat rate shipping. Do one thing at a time.

Set up your store first. On your administration page, click on templates which is under texts and colors. You will see some thumbnail photos of the templates. They are small, but not excessively so unless you have very bad eyes. Are you perhaps trying to do set up your store via your cellphone or a small I-pad? That is the only reason I can think of for the too small to see. If you are using a cellphone or I-pad, I would suggest finding a desk top computer to use to at least set up your store.

Anyhow, I would suggest that when you open the templates page to scroll to the bottom and click on one of the bottom templates and then click update. You can always change your template at any time without any trouble. I would not suggest using those templates up at the top as I have never seen one that doesn't look awful.

After choosing your template, upload a logo for your store. It needs to be large enough to be seen. Write up a welcome message for your home page. Be sure to spell check it and proof read it yourself. Then fill out the About us page, and tell why you got into selling on line. If you will be a niche seller like I am (sewing) tell what has drawn you to this niche and what experience you have in it. Then fill in your terms page. This is where you tell customers your shipping and handling information, any refund information, how you handle multiple sales, how you will handle international sales if you choose to do that. Please NOTE: that ALL eCRATER sellers also get a UK and AUS store along with their US store. If you don't want to ship internationally, be sure that is turned off. I forget how to do it, since mine are turned on, but Sheila probably knows. If you have sold on line prior to eCRATER, then you can insert any FAQ you have gotten often, plus any that you anticipate.

Once you are all done doing this, come here for a pat on the back, and we can help you to set up categories, shipping and then start listing.

Keep your chin up! Smile

Very Happy Very Happy
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up my store first? Meaning what? I have been trying.
NO, ecrater is not really easy.
Nothing is spelled out, the help is all out of date.
I still have no idea of holw to proceed.
I tried to set up my stoire. Nothing worked. I kept being asked to sign in.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Set up my store first? Meaning what? I have been trying.
NO, ecrater is not really easy.
Nothing is spelled out, the help is all out of date.
I still have no idea of holw to proceed.
I tried to set up my stoire. Nothing worked. I kept being asked to sign in.

Set up you store first - meaning don't worry about shipping when your store isn't 'built' yet. While you think the help is out of date, please understand that eCRATER doesn't keep jerking the sellers around with new ways to do things like say, eBay. So many of the instructions are actually still the way to do things.

I don't know why you would keep being asked to sign in unless you are signing out (in other words closing the window). ECRATER usually will stay open for as long as you are working in it. At times after very long sessions it will ask you to sign in again but that is usually after hours. I think you need to send a help post to eCRATER as they can perhaps see what is going on that we can't. http://www.ecrater.com go here and click on the contact button on the bottom right side of the page.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormsPlace wrote:
I kept being asked to sign in.
I would strongly suggest you go to the home page of ecrater, http://www.ecrater.com/ and click contact. The link is on the lower right corner. Tell customer service you keep being ask to sign-in. You are describing a problem that probably customer service is going to have to resolve. Here on the forum, we're all seller also. Once in a while ecrater will make announcements or reply on a topic where multiple sellers are having a problem, but for some problems, you really need to contact customer service direct.
NormsPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Firefox browser. Supposed tro be one ecrater is set up for.
Trying Opera browser, better results. Still a very difficult process....
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really only 3 templates the $10 one and and 2 free ones. Within the 2 free ones, the only only difference is color choices. Sheila gave you links to see what the 2 free ones look like.

On the right hand side, go to texts and colors. click on edit texts and get something in there...anything for now. Then I think you should be able to hit the preview button, top right corner, and see what your store looks like.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you completed the first sign up page since when I click on the www in your post it takes me to a page that has your url at the top. If you did this a day or so ago, you do have to sign in with your store name and password that you selected. (On eCRATER's home page it says Sign up or Log In. Choose Log In and fill in your user name and password that you chose when you signed up. Click remember me so you don't have to do that every time in the future. Then bookmark it so it is easy access next time.

It has been a long time since I set up a store but when I did I just started at the top of that column on the left side of the admin page and did each section at a time.

Start with basic set up first.
You need to fill in at least one category.
Then go to Payment options and choose which payment methods you wish to accept. Don't accept COD. The rest is up to you.

Then you skip down to Shipping Zones. You must ship to all 50 states but after that it is up to you. If you only wish to ship to the US that is your business. Or you can choose to ship to other select countries or ship worldwide.

Weight matrix:
you can leave that till you have some items listed. Or ignore it if you will be doing flat rate shipping or free shipping or using USPS calculated. This will be determined by what items you are selling and where you will be shipping to.

Sales Tax If your state requires you to collect sales tax on your sales within your own state, fill in the correct sales tax % for your state. A few states do not have state sales tax, or if you are not in the US, you don't fill in anything. You don't fill in anything except for your state.

Next section is Templates:
The top three are paid templates. Assuming you don't want to pay for a template scroll down to the next section of templates. The first group are new style and the bottom templates are the old style. These are not written in blood. I switch back and forth all the time so if you choose one and then decide against it you can change it by returning to the template section.

Make sure you click UPDATE at the bottom of every page in the set up process.

Logo
Check out the logos of the people responding to you. That will give you an idea of the size and legibility of logos for the store. It should be easy to read for shoppers to remember you.

Edit texts:
You need to fill in information about yourself (your business, not necessarily personal info) about your store and what you will be selling, your terms and conditions and contact info.

That will get you off to a start. Make sure your store is on hold while you are setting up. Once you have gotten your shipping and texts filled in you can add a few items and then take it off hold. Hold is something else you can do off and on when you need to do major overhauls of your store.

If you are still having problems take screen shots of the place where you get stuck and come back.

Don't feel too badly about being confused. When I started here I signed up and then could not figure out how to do anything and there was no forum then. It was about 5-6 months before I figured out how to list an item.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: