eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

cross pen and pencil set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: cross pen and pencil set Reply with quote

While browsing at one of the local hospice thrift stores, I spied an interesting item. It is a Cross pen and & pencil set, 23k gold plated. That in itself is not so unusual, but what got my eye was the logo plate attached to the pocket clips … 3 tuning forks. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had seen that before, but could not recall what it was. So I took a shot and bought the set (appears to be new in original box). After I got home, I did some research and discovered the 3 tuning forks logo is Yamaha Music.

A number of internet searches later, I have been unable to find any instances of this item for sale. Not here, not on eBay, not on Amazon.

Is this really that unusual an item, or are my searches not finding them ?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been a gift for employees, left overs maybe.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the Cross pen website? I bought a pen there for my brother when he turned 50.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1972 I was living in London when a stranger stopped me on the street and asked directions. We had an extensive conversation about the directions and where he was going. When he was ready to go on his way he reached into his jacket pocket and handed me a silver ball point pen. I thought nothing about it at the time but it was also a Cross pen with the logo of a Japanese tech company. I did not think of selling it and carried it in my purse until a few years ago when I left it in a phone booth. I went back for it but it had already found a new home. The odd thing is that the ink cartridge had lasted 40 years.

You might contact Cross and/or Yamaha with a photo and see if they can shed light on it. It might be easier to sell it as a Cross pen/pencil set.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MoonwishesStore

The Cross site knows nothing about anything Yamaha.

For a fun example, type 'Yamaha Pen and Pencil set' into your favorite search engine. They all seem to return Cross results, but none of them have any mention of Yamaha.

I am guessing that this was an award item, for a Yamaha employee or sales outlet. Otherwise, I have no clue.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a contact page, I would try using it to contact them and ask about it. They just might answer you!
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a promotional pen set. There are several Cross pen promo sets on eBay. Promotional items are odd ball collectibles and there are very few collectors for them these days. It's a park it and leave it and hope for a buyer item.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to contact Yamaha Music to see when they were used and how many were distributed. The cross pens with attached logo plates in 23 kt gold plating were/are expensive to order. This type of set are usually reserved as "perks" to in house staff and/or as a reward for an outstanding retailer or high dollar salesman. Since it's from Yamaha Music, it's probably more collectible than a lesser known company.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set may be worth a lot. The only way to determine the value of the item is to put it up for bid or sale. I recommend a site with traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: