eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Remote Access to my PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
intouchwithurworld

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Remote Access to my PC Reply with quote

I bought an HP Laser Jet and was in the process of installing the driver CD. I had a question regarding it so I called the HP contract helpline. (all foreign reps) 2 different reps wanted a remote access to install the driver. I declined and installed it myself.

My question is since this was HP should have I let them have remote access? Would it have been safe to let them do so?

Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be safe, but there is always the possibility of a rogue agent. I try to avoid it at if at all possible.

I have a friend who works for a cable company where they offer TV, Cable, phone, and I don't know what all else. Some of the services offered combined with customer's home set-up are so complicated combined with the user's lack of information compounded by the company's pressure on short call times that direct access is the fastest option. The alternative is to have a service tech come out which could cost a fee and may require up to a week wait.
intouchwithurworld

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sheila. Since these were contract reps, I didn't want to take any chances.
purpleiris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually turn Remote Access off and on anytime you wish. Of course, they don't make it easy to find, but I'm sure the rep could walk you through both steps. I happened to stumble upon it by accident when dealing with another issue and turned it off completely. Unfortunately, I can't remember where...Control Panel, Administrative Tools, or...? BUT it's called "Windows Remote Assistance" if you want to search for more info about it.
intouchwithurworld

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Iris. I'll google that.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of problems in the past with one software or another (reputable ones), and allowed the tech remote access to fix the problem. I had no problems with it at all, and as others said, you can turn it off. Also make sure your camera is turned off, so they won't be looking at you. LOL
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have any of that on in my system. Seems like a easy gateway for any hacker.

Goto services and "disable" "remote" everything, "Remote assistance"

Get to services by right clicking my computer and then click "manage"

Then you will see services., just right click those to see their properties.

They have Automatic, manual, and disable. you should turn other things off to make your system run less things,

It's pretty safe to use manual setting on things, you can come back later and see which ones are running and put them back to automatic.

or wright them all down for it's original setting, I been doing this so many times I have it figured out what ones can be disabled, but most I set to manual.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: