eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Approval

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiseowlbookshop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Google Approval Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why, of my 386 products, 353 are Google quality, and 339 are disapproved from Google?
239 are missing unique identifiers, none are missing required attributes.
Plus, on the main admin page it says “260 products are disapproved from Google and not listed in Google Shopping. You are losing traffic! Please add all required attributes.”
None of these numbers add up.
I have been adding what I understand to be the only significant attribute, either the isbn or the alternative, if none exists, “identifier_exists FALSE”. I have done this for at least 147 items, so, again, the numbers do not add up.
Are there other ‘required attributes for books?
I know this may not matter to some sellers, and I know it is extra trouble, but I would, if possible, like to comply with Google requirements.
Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I would, if possible

And therein lies the rub! Can anyone be correct in Googles eyes. For the first couple years of attributes, all of mine were absolutely fine. They wanted two out of three main attributes so I had brand and MPN. Then they wanted, insisted on the UPC. I have over 8000 items in my inventory. What to do? So I add in the UPCs as possible when tweaking, but my last check showed 8004 active items, 6039 missing unique identifiers, 2026 disapproved, and 83 with invalid GTIN values. I've fixed over 2000 items at this point. But many of the items I sell don't have upc's or have upc's that are duplicates of others, or they have some even more squirrely reasons for why they are disapproved. I'm sure before I ever get through everything, they will have changed some other rule and expect us to change our listings again.

Well as I have been saying all along; I don't work for Google, I don't sell on Google, Google is a search engine and I have signed no contract with them to do anything with them and they pay me nothing. Therefore I feel no obligation to waste the next 6 months bringing all my listings up to some Google code that they will only change whenever they feel like it. Years ago an ebay bigwig escaped ebay and went over to google and I immediately felt it in my bones that it was the end of google as we know it and it was. Evil or Very Mad When I am tweaking a listing, I will also tweak attributes but I am not going to go out of my way to do so.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Approval Reply with quote

wiseowlbookshop wrote:
Can anyone explain why, of my 386 products, 353 are Google quality, and 339 are disapproved from Google?
239 are missing unique identifiers, none are missing required attributes.
Plus, on the main admin page it says “260 products are disapproved from Google and not listed in Google Shopping. You are losing traffic! Please add all required attributes.”
None of these numbers add up.
I have been adding what I understand to be the only significant attribute, either the isbn or the alternative, if none exists, “identifier_exists FALSE”. I have done this for at least 147 items, so, again, the numbers do not add up.
Are there other ‘required attributes for books?
I know this may not matter to some sellers, and I know it is extra trouble, but I would, if possible, like to comply with Google requirements.
Thanks

I have been dealing with Google Attributes required for Google Shopping since Google first started these requirements in my eCRATER store SheilaDeesBooks. There are NO "required attributes" for books which explains why you have zero in that category. The only "unique Identifier" required for books is the ISBN (or identifier_exists with a value of FALSE if there is no ISBN). New CDs, records and DVDs require the UPC # (or identifier_exists with a value of FALSE if there is no UPC). If your book has both a UPC and ISBN, Google suggest you submit both.

Google Shopping has a hard time understanding that a 10 digit ISBN number may identify the actual book you are selling. They want you to convert all old 10 digit ISBN #s to the newer 13-digit ISBN #s, but it's currently not required. Personally, I submit the ISBN # that was issued with the book because that # identifies that issue. For example, Nancy Drew Mysteries can be purchased brand new with a 13 digit ISBN. The new "flashlight" editions are NOT the same as the pictorial covers released in the early 1970s with a 10 digit ISBN.

I took a look at your store and see several books you have listed as "Brand New" which really appear used. It's hard to believe a book edition with a copyright from 1950 would be Brand New in 2016. Make sure your used books are marked Used. Google does look at that and expects a 13 digit ISBN for a Brand New book.

I also noted you list magazines which have never been released with an ISBN, so those would be listed as identifier_exists with value of False.

Once you have an item submitted to GS and GS finds a problem, they will notify eCRATER of the "error on the feed". This error will appear on your item. If you correct the error, the corrected item will be submitted to GS on the next feed. At some point eCrater will learn the item was accepted and remove the error message on the item page. This process can take weeks from the time you make the correction and the time the error message is removed from the item page.

Personally, I only work on those items that are disapproved to see if there is a way to have them approved. Sometimes that isn't possible, but usually you can fix them. Keep in mind that all this information and work is related to Google Shopping ONLY. It doesn't mean the item is disapproved from the general Google Search, Google+ or Google Images. It also doesn't affect your listing in any other search engine such as Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, etc.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would question your marking the books as brand new that have chipped dust jackets, sun fading etc. 50+ years is a long time for a book to hang around without having been read by somebody.
wiseowlbookshop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: GoogleApproval Part2 Reply with quote

Thank you MoonwishesStore and SheilaDeesBooks for responding to my post.
I had not listed anything at Ecrater since May and had put the store on hold for a number of months. Upon returning, it appears that the look of the admin pages has changed somewhat and that, perhaps, a few upgrades have been added.
I do not recall a condition line for products. Is this a relatively new addition?
I ask because I would never have intentionally chosen ‘brand new’ as a descriptor.
It is as if this was added in an upgrade and every item defaulted to ‘brand new’. I am, however, willing to consider that I may have overlooked it. I am thankful that you both pointed this out, because I am starting to add more items now, and this means I only have to correct 386.
Do you know if there is some way to make a ‘blanket’ change across all items? I sell no new books. If I have to go item by item (which I am now in the process of doing) to correct this error, I will, but it would be nice to have an easier method.
You may have noticed that in my item description I provide a condition description, for what it is worth considering subjectivity. Thus “VG+/VG- condition” for book/jacket. This is something I had been doing for years listing at Ebay. I am now considering “used in VG+/VG- condition” so that there is no margin for misunderstanding.
I do my best in the description section to add pertinent information from the copyright page so that a buyer is best informed as to publisher, edition/printing, and most recent copyright so that they know what ‘issue’ it is, and make sure to indicate BCE or facsimile. I’m not sure this matters to every book buyer but it does to some.
With respect to the ISBN, will Google accept a 10-digit number even if the 13-digit number is available? I am an ‘old fogey’ and tend to use the 10 even if the 13 is provided on the copyright page. It is a handy hint about Google comparing ‘brand new’ to absence/presence of 13-digit ISBN.
Thanks also for suggesting the upc identifier.
I see, SheilaDeesBooks, that you said I had listed some magazines. Unless I mis-categorized them as books, I do not find any magazines in my store, There are two items under “Comics and Manga”; are they what you are referring to?
I did see that there was a lag time in changing the quantity of my disapproved items after I had added the unique identifier for a number of books, so I know that what I did helped.
However, it still confuses me that the main admin page says “241 products are disapproved from Google and not listed in Google Shopping”, but when I check “Disapproved from Google” on my “Manage Products” page, the result is 299, not 241 (and this is well after I had added unique identifiers so that the number dropped from 286 to 241.
It is these disparities which baffle me.
Thanks again for the help and suggestions.
wiseowlbooks
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise Owl - there has always been a condition line (at least as long as I've been here) However your only options were Brand New and used. Now we have New-Other, and refurbished. To be honest I have no clue when the refurbished showed up but the New-Other I believe was within the past year as when tweaked, many of my listings need that changed. In the global editor there is the possiblity of setting the item condition, so that might work for you. Give us feedback for how it worked out.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Upon returning, it appears that the look of the admin pages has changed somewhat
There is a new look to our admin page, but the older version is available. In your admin, click Accout / Options and check "Use the legacy version of the admin on desktop", then click the update button at the bottom of the page. Once you close your admin it will take place. When you log in next time you'll see the older "legacy" version of your admin.

As far as I know, there has always been a condition option. If it is left blank, the system assumes the item is "Brand New". Within the last year the condition options of "New Other" and "refurbished" were added. When the feed is submitted to Google, the condition "new other" will be submitted as new and any attributes that are required for new items will apply.

Quote:
Do you know if there is some way to make a ‘blanket’ change across all items? I sell no new books. If I have to go item by item (which I am now in the process of doing) to correct this error, I will, but it would be nice to have an easier method.
Yes, as Moon said, this is a global editor option. Remember, the action will affect all items in your store OR all items in a category depending on the choice you make. It isn't instant, so give it time after you submit the action.

I think you will have less of a problem with the 10 digit isbn after you change the condition to used. Regarding the magazines, I didn't look for any magazines but noted you had a category for them that was currently empty. Just wanted to add the info regarding magazines and isbns because Google bots are not always the smartest bots in the box.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: