eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

? about Tyvek Priority Envelopes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: ? about Tyvek Priority Envelopes Reply with quote

I'm trying to list an item that I got the other day and found that the only envelope that it would fit in is a Priority Tyvek envelope. I would prefer using on of them than a box which would add on another pound or so. Do the Tyvek envelopes have a flat rate to them, or are they by weight and where they are going? Anyone know? I generally don't sell anything this big so I don't want to get skunked on shipping. It weighs 1.2 # without packing slip or envelope/box at this point, so that means it is already in the 2# range.

Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
viewfinders

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the large unpadded floppy envelopes there is no flat rate which I discovered to my loss several years ago. I was packing linens in them thinking they were shipping like the flat rate cardboard envelope.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the floppy unpadded envelopes. I just spent about half an hour at the USPS website. After a while that site makes it feel like your eyes are bleeding or turning in circles. The only reference to those envelopes was the ordering page where you can order them. Even following a link on that page just for them I couldn't find anything to say what they cost to ship. I'm assuming at this point it is by weight and zone and the envelope is just a convenience. So from what I could figure out I set it at my highest rate on my matrix which is for Priority flat rate envelope. I will have to kick a couple of bucks for the postage, but I should be making enough if it sales to help cover those few dollars that it might go over depending on what zone it goes to. If I have to send it in a box, that will get the price of shipping over into the 3# range and that will hurt a lot more. Some of those zones jump $3-4 a step up!

The only other thing I know about those Tyvek envelopes is some crafters like taking the used ones (of course) and painting them, sewing on them and then heating them with a hair blow dryer and it shrinks up and they do art work with them. Something out of my comfort zone for sure! Very Happy
Shaelily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon, I use them all the time. There is no flat rate for those. They ship as regular priority mail and have the same insurance benefits as all other priority packages. They are great for soft items (like hoodies or jeans) that don't fit in a padded flat rate envelope but a priority box adds too much weight.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shaelilly, that is exactly what I wanted to know from someone with experience using them. I found this terrific 'skirt pack' with Scottish tweed wool, the lining, zipper, label all in a pack so the person only needs thread and a pattern to make a skirt. I'd keep it myself but I don't think it would fit me. I have never sewn with wool like before either. They made these packs in the 60's when the company was well known but seems to be out of business or just making knitting yarn now. Once something goes over a pound, the last thing you want to do is add in more shipping supplies weight! It fits perfectly in the Tyveck bag.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the tyvek mailer would be perfect for that.
Happy to help! Smile
shopswapsell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Weight Matrix Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Thanks Shaelilly, that is exactly what I wanted to know from someone with experience using them. I found this terrific 'skirt pack' with Scottish tweed wool, the lining, zipper, label all in a pack so the person only needs thread and a pattern to make a skirt. I'd keep it myself but I don't think it would fit me. I have never sewn with wool like before either. They made these packs in the 60's when the company was well known but seems to be out of business or just making knitting yarn now. Once something goes over a pound, the last thing you want to do is add in more shipping supplies weight! It fits perfectly in the Tyveck bag.

So I went & found your listing =)

I'm curious why you don't turn on weight matrix & let it charge the correct amount based on location (you can select only priority if that's the only service you use)?

I have first class & priority options for all my items (less then 13oz) (I ship US & international) and I've had no problems with incorrect shipping charges, if anything I've been able to refund overage charges, which makes happy buyers Wink

I do print all my labels from Paypal (and USPS click N ship), I have a digital scale in house Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ONLY the Matrix and it is divided up to handle different weights of first class mail. I sell sewing patterns for the most part - almost 8000 of them in inventory so I use first class shipping until I hit a certain weight in my matrix and then it is Priority. Once something hits Priority for here in the US, I do not charge anymore than enough to cover the 1#/flat rate envelope no matter how much over a pound a package gets. It saves me money in the long run because every item that I sell in a multi-item order doesn't have that initial .30 PP/Stripe fee after the first one. Don't forget after 15.9 ounces first class mail stops and becomes Priority. No longer does first class quit at 13 ounces except on some e/postage programs or at the PO itself.

I checked your store, and you are using calculated shipping from what I can tell. Matrix only returns one price and if buying more than one item, will give me a combined rate that is usually spot on. Unless I have missed something with the matrix over the years, other than actual countries, the matrix isn't set up to give prices by location at all. I use endicia as my postage meter and have a scale as well. I can't believe how many sellers still try to run a business without one.

By the way, I popped into your store and notice you have a line like this at the beginning of some of your descriptions: "Thank you for looking! -----------------> Please use the _Ask seller a question_ link for any questions!" Because of how the search engines work, you may want to drop that as it is not part of the description at all or drop it to the bottom of your description. You want your descriptive words to be seen first. I usually repeat a version of my title and continue on with the rest of the description.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the tyvek envelopes. They hold an awful lot and it could be more cost effective to ship in a priority box. My post office has stopped stocking all but the flat rate boxes. I find the padded flat rate envelopes hold quite a lot and are much more flexible than the stiff cardboard.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to not overstuffed any envelope. The Tyvek envelope fit my item perfectly that is why I wanted to try them. I have found mot of the time anything over certain weight go cheaper in a box than a larger flat rate Priority box. Possibly because of the zone I live in.
shopswapsell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I use ONLY the Matrix

Yeah I a get ahead of myself when I see this mentioned, I meant calculated shipping =)

MoonwishesStore wrote:
By the way, I popped into your store and notice you have a line like this at the beginning of some of your descriptions: "Thank you for looking! -----------------> Please use the _Ask seller a question_ link for any questions!"

Thanks for the tip! I'm trying different layouts & wording to see what helps my buyers the most =)
silktraveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Love the Tyvek Reply with quote

Have used Tyvek for years. Have calculated [matrix?] shipping on my items. They are so ripstop it's fantastic. Additionally, I've received numerous shipments sent in boxes because sellers say "....so much safer" that arrived dented, torn, smashed in. Yup, tyvek and padded flatrate for bottles [with backup bubble or cushioning] and shoes and have never had breakage, damage with either.
BustedorNot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat rate envelopes would be:
$6.65 Regular Flat Rate cardboard envelop
$6.95 Legal Flat rate cardboard envelop (order through PO)
$7.20 Padded Flat rate envelop (order through PO)

Tyvek can go First Class Mail or Priority depending on weight.

You may want to consider to order through the Post Office some of the Regional Boxes
that have saved me some money on shipping.
You can place up to 15 lbs in the Regional A Boxes

Just a thought.

NOTE: Tyvek going First Class Mail: Just the ones that you buy at the office supply places.

Last edited by BustedorNot on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
silktraveler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Non-Priority tyvek? Reply with quote

The USPS Tyvek envelopes are for Priority use only. But other tyvek could be sent with First Class postage.. such as from Staples
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: