eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Happy New Year to All!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Happy New Year to All! Reply with quote

Happy and Prosperous New Year to All!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope eC moderator can delete this topic - thank You in advance.
By mistake, during making some changes, it appeared twice.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures of the pomegranates reminds me of when I lived in California. We had 3-4 pomegranate trees, which we could eat as much as we wanted from and my mom was probably one of the first to see the potential in pomegranate juice, and would set up squeezing those babies and saving the juice. I think each of them had maybe 1/4 cup of juice. It was hard work for sure. She would freeze the juice and use it as punch base etc. since it was really tart. Then all the other spare ones we would put in my brother's wagon and go around the neighborhood and peddle them around the neighborhood for a nickel a piece. She also had us peddle spare zucchini, since everyone knows one ounce of zucchini seeds can feed the world. Most of them were normal size, but in CA those things could grow huge over night and I remember selling one of the monster sized zucchinis to a guy for a nickel and he was so happy since he said it would feed his whole family for dinner that night. If I had been smart I would have given him all the rest of them in the wagon as I hated zucchini and to this day the thought of eating it makes me want to gag. The only way my mom seemed to know how to cook it was so that it turns out slimy and gross.

Anyhow thank's for the memories! happy New Year to you.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: The Pomegranate in Symbolism and Mythology Reply with quote

The pomegranate is a symbol of prosperity, abundance and generosity, "life and death, rebirth and eternal life, fertility and marriage".

"Today, the pomegranate still has strong symbolic significance for the Greeks.
At important festivals in the Greek Orthodox calendar, including Christmas Day, it is customary to adorn the table with pomegranates
(known as ‘polysporia’ meaning ‘many-seeded’) and on New Year’s Day it is traditional to break a pomegranate on the ground.

On moving into a new home, house guests traditionally bring pomegranates as a symbol of abundance, fertility and good luck for the new owner." >

G. Iakovidis

N. Litras

E. de Blaas

D. Vlachos

>
>

Last edited by ArtistsUnion on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to see a photo of a FRESH, ripe pomagranate! The ones that grocery stores sell here out in PA (definitely NOT an area to grow them!) are so old the skin has no glow to it, and the skin is sinking into the fruit so instead of being round and smooth they are bumpy and drab. And they run $2.50-3.00 a piece! The little girl that used to sell them for five cents just can't crack her wallet open for an inferior piece of fruit. Shocked
viewfinders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year.

ArtistsUnion, the painting of the woman holding the tray of pomegranates. Do you know the artists name or is it just something you pulled off the internet?

Has anyone ever found an easy way to get the seeds out of the pomegranates? The water bath doesn't work for me. I don't buy them any more because they rot before I get the energy to deseed them.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with multiple kids and trees with free access to them, my Mom and we kids NEVER found an easy way to deseed them! I'm curious how they are managing to get the juice out of them so well to put them in all the products they have out now like Pom juice.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@viewfinders, it's a "Girl with Pomegranates" by Eugene de Blaas (1843 - 1932).
In Public Domain >

More info about this artist: >

and more paintings: >
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Artistsunion. I have a painting, probably a print but I've never taken it out of the frame to check and there is no signature visible although it could be hidden by the frame. I have researched artist after artist trying to find out who painted it. I even wrote the company that did the framing but got no response. Not surprising since it looks like it was framed in the 50s-60s.

I looked at all the Atheneum paintings but didn't see mine but the style of painting and the subject matter are so similar. You get a feel for an artist's style, at least I do. I think I will write the Atheneum and send them some photos.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, @MaggietheCatsMeows.

a bigger size >
Émile Munier "The Cherry Tree"

>
William-Adolphe Bouguereau "The Grape Picker"
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all my eCRATER friends!

Hope everyone has a prosperous 2017.

@ ArtistsUnion, thank you for the good wishes and for posting the beautiful pictures. I had forgotten the sysmbolism of the pomegranate. Also, thank you for posting the link to The Atheneum website. I had been there several years ago, but had lost the link and forgot about the site. I love browsing there.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already researched Munier and Bougereau. I'll take photos of my painting and get your opinions.
tmyusuf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year too.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: