eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Attributes GTIN???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmdbooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Google Attributes GTIN??? Reply with quote

I have a vast number of books that I am about to list and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Since I have never used Google Attributes before, I need help with the format.

Do I just list ISBN as ISBN:0000000000000 or do I include the hyphens that are part of a book ISBN?

Also do I need to be concerned with the text that I add for a full description that I include for the overall book condition?

Do I have to specify GTIN as part of the ISBN attribute?

Thank you in advance since I am at a loss with this.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Google Attributes GTIN??? Reply with quote

dmdbooks wrote:
Do I just list ISBN as ISBN:0000000000000 or do I include the hyphens that are part of a book ISBN?

Just digits, no hyphens.

Here is the information straight from Google on "About Unique Product Identifiers": https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161?hl=en

dmdbooks wrote:
Also do I need to be concerned with the text that I add for a full description that I include for the overall book condition?

I'm not sure what you're asking. But at first blush, I think you're asking if you need to be concerned with the product description text on the listing page. And the answer is Yes, you do.

dmdbooks wrote:
Do I have to specify GTIN as part of the ISBN attribute?

See link above.
dmdbooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at that page prior to posting, however for some reason my brain is not getting it.

I think it is telling me to list ISBN at the bottom of my book description text.

Also, my understanding is that I do not specify GTIN somewhere in the description??

So all I would enter would be ISBN:xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you for your response.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmdbooks wrote:
I think it is telling me to list ISBN at the bottom of my book description text.

I think you're conflating 2 things...tho I'm not sure.

For the purpose of Google Attributes, the ISBN (or other attribute) does appear at the bottom of your full description text. But that attribute is in a special format, so (if you do it correctly) only you see it on your admin page. It does not appear on the product page in your store that customers see. If the format is wrong, the customer will see it...which you don't want.

For example, the attribute should look like this at the bottom of your admin description: [!isbn:7777777777!]

However, for the purpose of selling your book, you may also want to include the ISBN on your product page as part of the description. That bit of text does not satisfy Google Attributes and does not need to be in a special format...it's for your customers' benefit.

dmdbooks wrote:
Also, my understanding is that I do not specify GTIN somewhere in the description??

See above. You can add whatever you want in your description, which is for your customers and for the benefit of people searching for your products. That is a separate issue from Google Attributes. If you want to be accepted into Google Shopping, you need to provide the required attributes in the required format.

dmdbooks wrote:
So all I would enter would be ISBN:xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

That's all I have on my books. I can't really be bothered with all the Google baloney, so I do the least acceptable.
dmdbooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!!!!!!

Thank you for clearing this up for me, I truly appreciate it.

Dave D.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: