eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Made a Sale - Why Did Item Stay Active?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transfixed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Made a Sale - Why Did Item Stay Active? Reply with quote

Hi All! I got my first sale today - yippie! But oddly enough, the listing stayed active. I even went to it using a different browser (didn't login to eCrater) and found I could still purchase it. Hmm. What should I expect to happen after an item sells?

So here's what I did. I edited the main photo by burning "SOLD" over it. Then I edited the the text by including "SOLD" above and below the item description. The item has been listed for many months and I figured the odds of another buyer on the same day were very remote. But wouldn't you know ....

Yep, about 6 hours later someone else came along and bought the item, even with "SOLD" plastered all over it. However, the 2nd time seems to have been the charm. This time, when I checked it in the "Manage Products" page, the link to the listing was gone. And when I click on each buyer's name from the "Orders" page, it takes me to the listing which now has a blue "On Hold" button.

Back to the "Manage Products" page - was the active link removed as a result of some kind of delay from the 1st sale, or did something else wonky happen? The quantity was only ever given as 1. What should I have done after the item was sold (the first time), to prevent the second buyer getting disappointed. I have a fair amount of selling experience on different sites, but selling on eCrater is new and unique to me.

I truly value your input and experience with this.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the item as hidden after the sale.

Or look on the side admin area, and look for "inventory control"
It will hide the item automatically after a sale.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several possibilities that could have caused the problem where you received a notice of a sale, but the item stayed active. The most common reasons are:

1. Seller didn't have a Inventory Control active.
2. Seller didn't have a quantity listed on the item page. (a blank means unlimited quantity)
3. Seller using PayPal Standard and the "buyer" didn't pay when sent to PayPal.
4. The response to eCRATER from PayPal was delayed or not received. (Internet glitch)
5. Buyer using a paper payment method.

A seller can always place a single item On Hold from the item page. It's really a good practice to always confirm the payment on PayPal before shipping. If a seller is using PayPal Direct, the buyer must pay for the item during the checkout process.
transfixed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much thanks for the input.

Quantity was listed as 1, and I think Inventory Control was active with sale #1 but can't be certain. I did ensure it was active immediately after. At that time I also checked "Require Phone Number During Checkout". A phone # should have showed up with sale #2 but it didn't. Maybe the update didn't "kick in". I may have to wait for a 2nd sale of a different item to see if my Set Store Options are functioning. PayPal Direct was set up from the start. I also checked PayPal and saw the payment in my account from the 1st sale. That's when I tried to figure why the item was still active, then decided to plaster "sold" over the main pic and description.

On active items I see a feature called "Hide this Product" in the edit -- but don't know how the Buyer would interpret it if the page suddenly goes missing. "Hidden" looks like a function that's only available during creation of a new listing, not for an existing one. The only "On Hold" I could find is to make the entire store inactive - not the desired intent. Maybe a different On Hold is actionable for a listing after a purchase is made?

If the situation arises again and I try "Hide this Product", is the Buyer still able to visit the page / view their purchase? If Yes, then this sounds like a good workaround.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a one zero problem maybe only for a first sale glitch.

Like if you include zero to 5, it's actually 6 digits.

So maybe email ecrater and ask, it might have to do with being a first sale to start things at a reference point, with your new account.

If that is correct, theoretically it wouldn't happen again.
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Hidden" looks like a function that's only available during creation of a new listing, not for an existing one.

It is also available for an existing listing, because You may need (for many reasons) to put 'on hold' only some of Your items and not all Your shop.

Quote:
On active items I see a feature called "Hide this Product" in the edit -- but don't know how the Buyer would interpret it if the page suddenly goes missing

You can use it and since Your buyer already has in records the listing's link, they still will be able to access it.

Please, check here, I've just put for You one of my listings 'on hold' - and yet, when You click on this item's link, You will see the listing with the "On Hold" info on it:

http://artistsunion.ecrater.com/p/25667087/red-roses-original-oil-painting

Such "on hold" listings also can be reached via any out of eC marketplace links, e.g. from Pinterest, G+, blogs, etc.

But in the same time, for as long as the item is on hold, it will not be searchable neither in the shop's search main box (even if You add a full title) :

http://artistsunion.ecrater.com/filter.php?keywords=Red+Roses+Original+Oil+Painting+Modern+Impasto+Still+life+Palette+Knife+Textured+Flowers+EU+Artist

nor in the search box on a front page of eC site.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have found the truth of buyers don't read!

You actually aren't supposed to do what you did, putting sold in the photo and the listing without actually hiding the item. Hiding an item is the only way to keep another buyer from buying it. When you hide it, people will still be able to see it on old url links and some of us don't want to delete the listing page as we get repeats of the items and 'unhiding' a listing gets it active in seconds instead of listing it again and then it has a new url. You WANT items, if you know you might have a duplicate, to maintain the original link so your promotion efforts aren't in vain.

So when I sell out of a pattern, I mark it hidden, and do put a blurb at the top of the listing saying it is sold, but buyers seeing an old listing don't see that blurb either. If I'm convinced I will never get another one of the item, I can always delete the listing. Either hiding it or deleting it will cause it to not appear anymore in your store.

Sheila is correct about the reasons it was able to be sold again. You want that quantity enabled and you want to be sure that you have the correct number available listed. I have seen some sellers with 'handmade' goods/art showing 10 or more available. I make crafts, etc. myself and I can't conceive of all of them turning out identical to be sold as the same thing, but that just might be me. Confused

However it does seem weird to have the same thing sell on the same day. I once had this happen with a pattern that the same thing sold within 15 minutes, but that was due to PP not getting the paid message back to ecrater quick enough.

Congrats on your sale by the way! I didn't stop to see what you sell, but for what I sell, I have noticed certain runs on particular patterns and always suspect that a garment was featured in a just published magazine. I once sold 5 copies in different sizes of the same pattern to women in Germany in the same month until I was sold out! It was people complaining in letters to the editors in my sewing magazines that they couldn't find the pattern that had been used which gave me the idea to sell my sewing patterns. Never see those ocmplaints anymore as the pattern market is pretty saturated with sellers now.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@transfixed

What payment type did the first buyer select ?
ArtistsUnion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal:
Quote:
"I also checked PayPal and saw the payment in my account from the 1st sale."
transfixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
Seems like a one zero problem maybe only for a first sale glitch.

Like if you include zero to 5, it's actually 6 digits.

I tried taking this literally and tried to edit one item to Zero quantity; also because SheilaDeesPostcards mentions something about no quantity listed on the item page. When this is attempted the page returns an error message in red text: "The quantity must be positive number". So that's taken care of. If there's a one zero problem I think it would be internal.

I visited a few eCrater sellers and found someone with well over 1,000 sales. Not all the buyers left feedback, but there are a couple mentions of this same situation (being able to buy an item after it was sold). This may not be unique.
transfixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtistsUnion wrote:
Quote:
"Hidden" looks like a function that's only available during creation of a new listing, not for an existing one.

It is also available for an existing listing, because You may need (for many reasons) to put 'on hold' only some of Your items and not all Your shop.

Quote:
On active items I see a feature called "Hide this Product" in the edit -- but don't know how the Buyer would interpret it if the page suddenly goes missing

You can use it and since Your buyer already has in records the listing's link, they still will be able to access it.

Please, check here, I've just put for You one of my listings 'on hold' - and yet, when You click on this item's link, You will see the listing with the "On Hold" info on it:

http://artistsunion.ecrater.com/p/25667087/red-roses-original-oil-painting

Thanksfor the example. An "On Hold" option would be great and was the type of feature I searched for but couldn't find. Here are screen shots of the options available in my dashboard.

First screenshot is the page "Edit Product" (area above photo is blanked and condensed to make it generic), second screenshot is of the only "On-Hold" I could find, located under the More Options tab in the left side panel. Can't find anything like what you've shown. Any hints?

transfixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
However it does seem weird to have the same thing sell on the same day. I once had this happen with a pattern that the same thing sold within 15 minutes, but that was due to PP not getting the paid message back to ecrater quick enough.

When I couldn't find anything to communicate the item was sold, I emailed Buyer #1 to let them know. In that message I said I put a manual "sold" over the main image and in the description. Then a few hours later Buyer #2 made the purchase. I also wrote Buyer #2, explained that a sale update didn't seem to be working or there was some glitch, and told them to expect a full refund in a few moments. While surfing eCrater I found another seller with a couple of mentions in the their feedback, of the same thing.

You and SheilaDeesPostcards make an interesting point about a delay with PayPal responding back to eCrater. Perhaps eCrater relies on a transmit from PayPal for an "On Hold" notice to take effect.

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Congrats on your sale by the way! I didn't stop to see what you sell, but for what I sell, I have noticed certain runs on particular patterns and always suspect that a garment was featured in a just published magazine. I once sold 5 copies in different sizes of the same pattern to women in Germany in the same month until I was sold out! It was people complaining in letters to the editors in my sewing magazines that they couldn't find the pattern that had been used which gave me the idea to sell my sewing patterns. Never see those ocmplaints anymore as the pattern market is pretty saturated with sellers now.

Thank you! I only have a few items listed as I want to learn more about the shipping feature (flat vs matrix) and what happens after a sale. I didn't want to load up items only to learn massive changes are needed.

Last edited by transfixed on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
transfixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
@transfixed

What payment type did the first buyer select ?

PayPal Express Checkout. 2nd buyer too, a few hours later.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find the individual on hold button, click on products, find the item you want to put on hold and click on the pencil (edit button), after the category selections you will find three options, the last being "Hide this product". Click on it and your item is on hold until you release it.

The other on hold button is to put your entire store on hold for a vacation or heart surgery or whatever.
transfixed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
To find the individual on hold button, click on products, find the item you want to put on hold and click on the pencil (edit button), after the category selections you will find three options, the last being "Hide this product". Click on it and your item is on hold until you release it.

Got it — Thank you!!! I was of the impression that "Hide this product" would prevent Buyer #1 from being able to view the page. So I opened an active item in a new tab in my browser and followed your steps in the old browser to hide the item. When I refreshed the listing in the new tab I got an On Hold button just like your example. Perfect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: