eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Using Padded Envelopes To Ship Internationally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heritagelaceandtreasuresboutique

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Using Padded Envelopes To Ship Internationally Reply with quote

Does anyone on Ecrater use padded envelopes to send light-weight items internationally? The size envelopes I am talking about is approx. 15 inches x 12 inches x 1/4 to 3/4 inches thick and under. If so, do you ship First Class International and does a tracking number come with the shipping label? I know that if I ship an item in the tyvec type envelopes they are treated as a package or thick envelope, and the cost to ship is terrible. I am looking to ship like lace runners, doilies, etc. in something cheaper as the customer does not want to pay say $13.50 shipping for a $13.50 item.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use padded envelopes to ship internationally. You will still need to complete a custom form. Depending on the country, delivery tracking is available IF you ship First Class International Parcel AND you print your postage online with an electronic bar code. Tracking is NOT available for First Class International, only for First Class International Parcel. You might find this link to a page on the USPS website helpful:
[url]https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm?q=tracking&t=H&s=R&p=1&c=IMM [/url]

I've never found it a problem when the shipping was equal to or greater than the cost of the item if the customer really wants the item.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Padded Envelopes For International Shipping Reply with quote

Thank you SheilaDees for your quick response. I will check out the link that you provided.

I had customers that have e-mailed me and said that the shipping cost is too high with just the First Class International which provides the tracking information and I was shipping in the tyvec envelope or package type. Someone suggested that I ship in padded envelopes because it is cheaper. From what I have researched on USPS it is cheaper to ship in a padded envelope if it is 8 oz or less but then I have to purchase the tracking information.

Since USPS implemented the new shipping charges in January, my international sales have completely stopped.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Padded Envelopes For International Shipping Reply with quote

heritagelaceandtreasuresboutique wrote:
Thank you SheilaDees for your quick response. I will check out the link that you provided.

I had customers that have e-mailed me and said that the shipping cost is too high with just the First Class International which provides the tracking information and I was shipping in the tyvec envelope or package type. Someone suggested that I ship in padded envelopes because it is cheaper. From what I have researched on USPS it is cheaper to ship in a padded envelope if it is 8 oz or less but then I have to purchase the tracking information.

Since USPS implemented the new shipping charges in January, my international sales have completely stopped.
You can ship First Class international OR First Class International Parcel in a padded envelope. First Class International is super cheap compared to First Class International Parcel, however tracking is ONLY available with First Class International Parcel. If you want tracking you MUST use International Parcel (even if it's a padded envelope). Tracking is only available to select countries shown in the link given above.

The advantage of First Class International is the inexpensive cost. The problem with it is the fact that there is no tracking. If the customer says it didn't arrive, PayPal is probably going to refund the customer the full amount the customer paid since you can't prove it arrived. The question is if you are willing to take the chance to allow the customer the cheaper postage.

Not sure why you think "the new shipping charges in January" made a difference, the major increase happened in either 2014 or 2015. I can't find my price list for 2014, but the rates were almost as high in 2015 as they are now. There was an increase in 2016, but the rates today are the same as April 2016.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Using Padded Envelopes For International Shipping Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to say January 2016. I made lots of international sales until the new rates were implemented in January 2016 and that was the end of international sales for me. I guess there is not much I can do as tracking information is so important anymore. Customers can tell a seller anything and sellers need proof of everything. I had a customer from Canada that e-mailed saying they did not receive their package and I sent them proof that the tablecloth was delivered, and I never heard from them again, therefore tracking information for me is necessary.

Again, thank you for your very helpful information.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting international orders. I ship them all in padded envelopes with tracking, as most countries that I ship to will do the tracking. The tracking does not add any additional cost to the shipping. However, you will need to ship first class package international to get the tracking. It is not worth it to me at all to ship anything, even if to the other side of town, without tracking.

While some customers will question the shipping costs prior to ordering, I tell them basically that I don't set the cost, the PO does.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shipped international using padded envelopes both from the US and Canada. Prices did go up last year considerably and I too found my sales came to a screeching halt. I've never had a package go astray except when a woman gave me an incomplete address. The package was returned to me months later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: