eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Sales
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila, you are so correct for what things are called here in the States as opposed to elsewhere. My first couple of years selling patterns, I tried to find as many magazines/books that would identify different clothing articles so that I could include both the US name and the international names such as pajamas and pyjamas in titles descriptions and/or google attributes. A big one that leave folks scratching their heads is 'jumper' in Britain is a pullover sweater not the dress like item that goes over a top of some kind. My son was telling me a story once and described the fact that both girls were wearing jumpers. The story was interesting enough, but when he understood the different definition it made even more sense.

Not only do garments names change, but items in general usage for instance for this store he has sandals in one listing and flip flops in another. In the US these would be called, sandals, flip flops and thongs (old definition not panties that don't cover much!) depending on the area where you from. He should have both sandals and flip flops in his title. A beanie, knit hat in the states would be a toque in Canada. When I went to college in Canada I had to learn a whole new vocabulary. The funniest was trying to get some sneakers. They weren't tennis shoes, sneakers or anything other than running shoes there at least back in the 70's.

If someone selling from another country is bogged down with not being sure of what something might be called, I would hope that they would post a photo and ask so we can help them out. I know not everyone has the time and resources like I have had to track down names for items being used internationally. Just think about here where you call it either pop, soda, soda pop or Coke. Very Happy Very Happy

Here is an quiz for all. What article of clothing is called a Johnson in the Pittsburgh, PA area?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

Here is an quiz for all. What article of clothing is called a Johnson in the Pittsburgh, PA area?

Is it the one piece "union suit", top and bottom long underwear with flaps?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but kind of close.
Delvi-International

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I really and truly value your advice. I have been making adjustments and continue to do so everyday based on your advice. I am in a very difficult position as for example artists are using their cell phones to take photos, some of them have a 6 inch measuring tape to measure items.. These are poor humble people with such amazing talent but not the know how how to put their items forward. I have been working for months with them, and have known some of them for years. I am currently working with them everyday to rectify the situation, and have advised them on all that you have said. This week however there is already a turn around and we have received 2 orders from ecrater so we are all delighted. This comes after rectifying the pages and taking all your advice on what to do, that we have received these orders. So a huge big thank you to all of you from Africa.
I really also want to say you have all taken time out of your schedules to assist me in this and have given me very great advice. Thank you so much for doing this, we all really appreciate it. kind regards Debby
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so very welcome and thank you for reporting the good results. I know I appreciate hearing it.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Marley is just as recognizable as Michael Jackson in certain parts of the world. He's big in California too for some weird reason Wink
Delvi-International

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

Hi everyone how are you all doing?
therristreasures

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
The only Marley that I think of when hearing the name is Marley & Marley of the Christmas Carol fame! Vaguely I remember the name Bob Marley associated with Africa but how I couldn't tell you.

If you will read a recent New Yorker magazine (this week), Bob Marley was born in Jamaica, not Africa. He was a pioneer of both the reggae and slow jazz styles during the 60s, when he had many best selling albums.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therristreasures wrote:
MoonwishesStore wrote:
The only Marley that I think of when hearing the name is Marley & Marley of the Christmas Carol fame! Vaguely I remember the name Bob Marley associated with Africa but how I couldn't tell you.

If you will read a recent New Yorker magazine (this week), Bob Marley was born in Jamaica, not Africa. He was a pioneer of both the reggae and slow jazz styles during the 60s, when he had many best selling albums.

Which is probably why I don't know about him, I hate jazz, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: