eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do you recover a category that you've deleted?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: How do you recover a category that you've deleted? Reply with quote

In the process of trying to improve our site, I accidentally created a duplicate category. I checked pretty carefully before deleting the duplicate, but the #*#@ thing did not delete right and for some reason wiped out the wrong duplicate. Foul ball. As a result, it appears we've lost 20+ listings. Does eCrater keep the information on their servers for at least 24 hours? This was done less than an hour ago (at this point). Pretty #2%@ ironic that in the course of trying to improve things it became a lot worse. Sad The listings are of course replaceable, but creating a new listing will wipe out any placement in searches we had and we'll have to start fresh. Crap. I'm really hoping we can simply recover the information and not lose placement.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you contact eCRATER? I do remember that it was possible to restore a category with it's contents depending on when it was deleted. I also think there was a fee associated with that service, but it seems like it was depending on the number of items that had to be restored. If you haven't contacted eCRATER yet, you need to do so ASAP.

This would be a good time to offer a suggestion for the future that has worked for me. I rename the category (or add to the title of the category) that contains the items I'm moving to something like "this one goes". Before you try to delete, reconfirm the category is empty.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sheila. I emailed ecrater immediately after but am still waiting. That's not that unusual--usually takes at least 24-48 hours to receive a response. My main concern is that it CAN be recovered. Just in case, I backed up everything I could just as it was right before the deletion, and went back through old listings to make sure nothing was missed. I would've changed the name of the category, but it ran a bit of trickery in appearing in the exact opposite order on the listings page (so be aware of that and don't repeat my mistake!) and I didn't think it necessary. But I won't be fooled again. Fingers crossed they can restore it.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the reasons that I leave sold items showing, so if I get another one, I can slip it in place of the old listing and not lose the links that it has had all over the internet.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I do that too, though this was a lot more complicated. Trying to clean things up a little while it's slow, and hopefully help with what we were talking about in the other thread. Though in the process of this optimization effort, mistakes were made. Mistakes that weren't entirely my fault. Looks like my weekend plans are set. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: