eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to restrict a product to US only?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: How to restrict a product to US only? Reply with quote

I know this must have been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find it. I currently sell items on the UK and AU sites, and am happy to ship my products there. But I am adding a new product which is heavy and expensive, and I'd rather not deal with the potential issues around cost of shipping and customs.

So, there are 2 issues:
1. Prevent orders to non-US destinations
2. Do not list item on UK and AU sites

I use Flat Rate Shipping. If I don't enter anything for overseas zones, does that prevent people from ordering them there, or mean shipping is free?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
welding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them, and they responded that it is NOT possible. All items in a store are available to all shipping zones you have set.
So, what I have done is:
1. Write in the product description that it's offered to US destinations only.
2. In case people miss that (we're all human), I set the shipping charge for non-US shipping zones to a ludicrous price. Not my preferred way since I don't want to cause any hard feelings, but I guess it's the only option.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind, that while the sites are nominally UK and AU, they are the way they are because of the default currency and because of how they are being fed to Google Shopping. That said, I think those of us, those who sell via the other two sites, have seen buyers from other countries buying via those sites. I vaguely recall someone talking about a US buyer, arriving via the UK site, and paying in GBP. It was most perplexing.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I vaguely recall someone talking about a US buyer, arriving via the UK site, and paying in GBP. It was most perplexing.

I have frequently gotten orders from someone in TX on WA or wherever, that comes in via GBP or AUS$. It happens to be how they found me and so they bought. However the computer does know that they aren't in the UK and so only charges for US shipping but the rate is slightly different than my usual one. It goes the opposite way when someone from AUS buys something through my US store, like one did last night. They were charged AU shipping.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: