SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

SHIPPING MATRIX - By Ounces Pounds Whatever you need
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
@ MemoryLane and Adrienne, I'm puzzled as to how you have decided you are in "Zone 4". USPS zones are determined based on the zip code you are shipping from. For example, if I ship from an area that has a zip code starting with 325, I could be shipping to every zone from 1 to 8. Zone 1 is determined to be zipcodes close to your shipping zone. If I ship from a zip code starting with 968, I only have two zone options Zone 1 or Zone 8. Zip Codes starting with 968 are in Hawaii, so any thing shipped to another Hawaiian address is zone 1 and all other zip code addresses are Zone 8.

To get a current correct USPS ZONE CHART, go to the USPS website http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/ and enter the first 3 digits of the zip code from which you are shipping.

This quote above is where Sheila originally posted the chart/calc.
Thanks for your help, Tiger! Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriennesretropolis wrote:
@ MemoryLane and Adrienne, I'm puzzled as to how you have decided you are in "Zone 4". USPS zones are determined based on the zip code you are shipping from. For example, if I ship from an area that has a zip code starting with 325, I could be shipping to every zone from 1 to 8. Zone 1 is determined to be zipcodes close to your shipping zone. If I ship from a zip code starting with 968, I only have two zone options Zone 1 or Zone 8. Zip Codes starting with 968 are in Hawaii, so any thing shipped to another Hawaiian address is zone 1 and all other zip code addresses are Zone 8.

To get a current correct USPS ZONE CHART, go to the USPS website http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/ and enter the first 3 digits of the zip code from which you are shipping.

Oh, sorry I must have overlooked her post. I had a minor outpatient procedure done and they've got me on pain pills, so I am a little spacey and feeling kind of nauseous right now. So I apologize if I go off topic or overlook something.
adrienneszat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
adriennesretropolis wrote:

Oh, sorry I must have overlooked her post. I had a minor outpatient procedure done and they've got me on pain pills, so I am a little spacey and feeling kind of nauseous right now. So I apologize if I go off topic or overlook something.

NO, NO Tiger! I was just handing the baton back to Sheila to give her credit for the link!

I am sorry you are ill - I meant nothing more than just sharing her link instead of posting it myself.

I hope you will feel better, soon. Crying or Very sad
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adrienne. I will be fine, it was just a minor procedure.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One passing thought about this whole subject of using the matrix as a backup (but not as a primary). Around the holidays, I make sure that USPS Express Mail is going to be turned on for those rare customers in panic mode. If they pick Express Mail, and USPS times out, the matrix supplied value won't even be close to enough.

I guess I have to refuse/refund those orders (which isn't going to help at the last minute). I see no alternative.

In fact, the more I think about this, I'm not even sure if I would *know* they tried to select Express Mail. Digging back thru my older orders, the order is coded with the actual shipping method used. But it doesn't say 'Matrix'. it says 'Regular US-Mainland' which is a clue that the matrix, or flat rate, was involved. USPS Calculated will say the exact method. So you tell that it defaulted, if you pay attention. What I can't see is the original USPS method selected.
steelcityboutique

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: shipping cost Reply with quote

I don't understand the matrix chart. I sell different items so they all weight different.So I been giving free shipping I am losing money Please help me.Thank you
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you have to understand that there is NO such thing as FREE shipping. You either charge it separately or you add it into the cost of the item. Somehow you have to collect it. eCRATER has more than one way to calculate shipping costs. You can use the matrix which especially for those of use that have items all basically the same weight can work really well or you have to add the weight right to the listing and use calculated. I would also add in whatever weight it would take to cover your shipping and handling costs of supplies, etc. also.

There are lost of posts here about the matrix. Sore fingers today don't let me try to type it again, but I know I have made many posts myself about this. This thread is 25 pages long at this point. Have you read them all? If you have a specific question about the matrix it is easier for us to help as all the general stuff has been said many times and I'm sure is included in this one thread, everything you need to know. Above all don't use free shipping unless your shipping costs are added into the cost of the item. If you don't know what the shipping costs will be, then stop what you are doing and weight them with approx. shipping containers and figure out what the PO or UPS will charge you to ship them.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to mention, even if a seller adds the cost of their shipping to the cost of the item, so they can mark their listings as free shipping whether for sales appeal or because it makes it easier for them to keep track of sales figures, did you know?

If a buyer requests a refund or there is a dispute paypal will make you refund the entire amount. It doesn't matter if you present paypal with a receipt for the shipping amount you actually had to pay, you will refund it all because the shipping is marked as free and paypal expects it to actually be free and come from your pocket. This is why I don't promise free shipping. It's never happened to me but I got real curious one time when debating on offering 'free shipping' for sales appeal, and looked around to see how paypal would handle it.

So if you charge $10 for an item and mark it with free shipping.
$7 was for the actual item cost
$3 was for the postage

Buyer is insistant on a refund for remorse or some reason and you decide to refund them so they'll stop complaining. If you only refund them $7 they can dispute it and get the $3 back too even though you spent it on postage already because your item was marked with free shipping and you end up losing $6 in the end because you already paid that $3 to ship the item, then had to refund an extra $3 to the buyer. So I'd think long and hard before using free shipping, unless you live in china and actually get free shipping.

If the buyer is super picky, skips you and goes straight to paypal to request a refund without even contacting you first, paypal will refund them $10 no questions asked if their reason for a return is valid and your terms do not state against it. But you can put 'no refunds on original shipping costs' in your terms all you want, but if the item is marked with free shipping, paypal will refund it to the buyer and you will essentially end up paying $3 extra out of pocket just to issue a refund.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but it has/had much useful information, so I'm to stick with it …

What does eCRATER do if you have USPS Calculated OFF and some listings use fixed shipping, and others use the matrix. If a customer adds two items to their cart, one that has fixed shipping and the other matrix based, how does eCRATER calculate a shipping cost ?

I honestly don't remember (but I'm sure it was asked somewhere).
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
What does eCRATER do if you have USPS Calculated OFF and some listings use fixed shipping, and others use the matrix. If a customer adds two items to their cart, one that has fixed shipping and the other matrix based, how does eCRATER calculate a shipping cost ?
The system will look at the weight of the item using the weight matrix and determine the shipping from the matrix. Then the system adds the shipping from the matrix Plus the flat rate shipping from the second item for the total charge for shipping.

Take a look at this topic FAQs and Solutions > Solutions to Common Questions - SHIPPING MATRIX & MORE https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2461 and scroll down about 1/2 way to an answer written by ACRead and posted by BT. AC did a great job of explaining the shipping when using a combination of weight matrix and flat rate (with USPS Calculated OFF). She gave several examples to explain how the system works.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's what I assumed it would do, but nice to have confirmation. Since my main store is no longer using USPS Calculated, it may be possible to combine all my stores (for those lots remaining) into one store because of this.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: