eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

changing order of products

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sewastore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: changing order of products Reply with quote

As an ecrater seller, is it possible to change the display order of products within a category?

Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They are displayed in the order of last in first seen. So listings that I added in 10 years ago would be the last in the line compared to those listed last week.
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only work around is to use the copy feature, delete the old listing after adding photos and making any desired revisions within a new listing and that new listing will show as most recently added.
sewastore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsDsHandKnits wrote:
The only work around is to use the copy feature, delete the old listing after adding photos and making any desired revisions within a new listing and that new listing will show as most recently added.

The problem with doing that is you lose any previous links you have sent out in promotions. They will be dead ends. I would never delete a listing just to relist it again to make it into a different position in your inventory line up.
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: deleting and re-listing items Reply with quote

@Moonnwishes - Since I don't put links in any listings as I don't do social media, I don't encounter that problem...
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: deleting and re-listing items Reply with quote

MrsDsHandKnits wrote:
@Moonnwishes - Since I don't put links in any listings as I don't do social media, I don't encounter that problem...

Then you are missing out on a huge way to promote your inventory. You don't even have to make the links yourself. Anyone looking at one of your knitted products can Pin it themselves to their Pinterest account or to facebook accounts, etc. where others can then come along and re-send them. One of the patterns I have that has been out of stocks for several years, I still get questions about and last I saw had over 7000 re-pins. I for sure didn't spend my time re-pinning that one over 7000 times! Let's just say I would love to find some copies of that pattern!

Half of my eCRATER orders this month have come from places other than the Marketplace, so no FVF for them and it shows to me that my promotions are working. And as long as that item has a link back to me, I haven't lost my url links. They stay out and about.
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: social media Reply with quote

True... I "may" be missing out on something that many feel is "essential" for online selling. I may be in the minority when it comes to using such methods to promote listings, but I have chosen to stay away from social media and I shall leave that type of promotion to those who feel they can't do without it.
I will continue to use my main selling venue for sales, as that venue has served me well for the past 17 years. With eCRATER listings showing up in Google searches...that is my added exposure.
I am not a business....not trying to establish a "brand"... nor do I rely on sales for income ...and I don't "need" to be part of the social media scene.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nor do I rely on sales for income

I guess that is the big difference between us. We do rely on the income from sales on all venues. Having to go on disability in my mid-40s was a tough go. Even now it is frustrating as I can't put the time into this business that I would like to help increase that income. There have been times in the past that I have had to download income daily just to keep up with the bills and have money for groceries.

I would have signed up for Pinterest, I guess I actually did, whether it had any potential for promoting my store anyhow. I had wanted a way to save all the great designs I would see in sewing blogs and find a way to organize them. Pinterest gave me that opportunity. I love getting new ideas! As my strength is leaking away, I know as the years go on I am having to adapt what crafting hobbies I participate in so to not cause myself physical trouble. Currently, I can't knit and if I wanted to, couldn't do much in the way of crochet either as both would be too damaging and painful to my hands. I like seeing that I have plenty of options.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sewastore

Basically, every product listing on eCRATER has a sequence number, also known as a product ID or PID. No two listings on eCRATER have the same PID.

Listings are displayed in your store, in descending order, by PID. Each category is a subset of your entire store, and the listings assigned that category as displayed in descending order by PID. Listings are displayed in the Marketplace in descending order, by PID, but are organized in larger groups based on image quality parameters, and (possibly) a later group for stores which have had no updates for a long length of time (guessed to be 1-2 years).

The only way to move something from the bottom of the list to the top, is to recreate the listing, via copy listing, re-add the images, and then delete the older listing.

While possible, it has a couple of side-effects …

If your feed should happen to contain both listings, then you may get a duplicate product warning from Google.

The older listing may hang around on the Google Product Search database for as long as 30 days (exact duration has never been disclosed, and it may be dynamically determined). Anyone clicking thru on the old PID may get a listing not found page from eCRATER.

The URL for the old listing may hang around on the Google Web Search Database for some indeterminate time (until occasional Google page refreshes fail to find it). The more external (non eCRATER) pages that pointed to it, may cause it to hang around even longer.

The URL may hang around on other social media sites (regardless of how it got there) indefinitely. eCRATER occasionally posts a product page link to the site's Twitter feed. Someone who is more Facebook active may want to comment on similar activity there.

Recreating existing listings is a dicey affair, and should only be done after carefully considering the consequences.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had questions concerning products that I have been sold out of for several years in the past. I have no clue about how long things will appear on Google. I'm happy to point them to the category of items that have similar type items, such as if they are asking about a sold out wedding gown, I give them a link that will help them find other wedding gowns. Besides the actual categories that are within my store, I have categories and their URLs for things such as kids pajamas, 18" doll clothing patterns (even though they reside in the doll pattern main category). To get these similar categories, I do a search in my store for say, wedding gowns and whatever url that comes up, I use that to have a link to send a potential buyer to without having to break up y regular categories. I use these same category links when linking items to G+ or when I post something on FB as part of my 'comments' I give them a "See more here" with a link to the same type thing. I have the list in my MS Word that I have open most of the time for when promoting, answering questions, etc.

I rarely will delete a sold out listing, since for the bulk of my inventory is sewing patterns, there is always a possibility I will find another copy of the pattern again. I may have to tweak the info in the listing, but the links that are out and about will still lead to the same pattern. When I relist something, I also repromote it as well and with the tweaking, Google will take a fresh 'look' at it as well.

I realize that not everyone has the same type of inventory and the chance of finding some really rare s&p set is minimal, so no problem in taking down the listing, but I would rather let it be out there and then be able to have a buyer find my store even with an old link, rather than no link at all.

I'm not really sure why the desire to reorder listings. If you want to make it more prominent or keep it from hiding out and gathering dust, just tweaking it and re-promote it in your usual manner will bring fresh eyes on it. I suspect just doing the tweaking will have the same effect on Google so they may treat it as a newer item.

While I have not changed my listing style in several years, if I run into old listings when tweaking I will fix it up. However some listings are already up to snuff, but after having a few too many on Amazon (it has happened here as well) claim that they didn't know that the item was a pattern and not an actual garment. I have been adding the word 'sewing' in front of the word pattern in the line that says how old the pattern is, to have yet one more place in my listings that show that the item is in actuality a sewing pattern. It will be interesting come to Christmastime (which is the biggest time of year for that nonsense), and someone wants a refund because they thought they were buying something else I will have three or more spots that say in no uncertain terms that it is a sewing pattern! The craziest one last year was someone buying a $25 Vogue pattern thinking that they would be getting a real coat from that designer that started out at $2,000!

I realize all that was long, but sometimes having the thinking behind why someone does what they do can be helpful in figuring out how you want to run your business.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: