eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

From eBay to eCrater... Why? What Happened?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eCrater1junkie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: From eBay to eCrater... Why? What Happened? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm coming from eBay, and my personal experience is that I found this site, eCrater, when I decided to branch out my selling. I am quickly losing confidence in eBay due to customer support issues and sales struggles. So, I may switch over to eCrater if I can make it work.

So, what's your story? Why did you come from eBay? Are you expanding, or transferring over? Any regrets or anything insightful to share?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Chakracord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cam from Bonanza and eBay.

I still sell on eBay until the last moment when that's it!
All my packing slips I have printed with my 4 shops here and what is in each of them.

Bonanza I became distant when the Boyz started their BS and when they received investment money for their site, you could see things that I can't stand behind. Also, there are glitches and they don't like to say anything and it's heavily policed in the forums when people complain about things. They should be able to do a better customer service when they now have 50 employees working there.

I have 4 shops here and things are starting to pick up.
You do have to put the effort into promoting yourself, but you don't get the interference like eBay to actually conduct your shops the way you want to.
namebranddealz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi eCrater1junkie,

Welcome. I left that huge auction site because of several reasons -
After years of selling successfully with 100% Positive Feedback, suddenly they started holding my funds for up to 21 days after I shipped the orders. Like, treat me like a criminal when there was no cause to do that.
ALSO, I was paying them on average over $80/month in fees but never opened a store. They want people to open Stores, so they put me on selling limits, like I could only list 10 or fewer items at a time - period. Again, no complaints from my buyers, Only positive feedback and they were making pretty good money off of me, but it wasn't enough for them. Open a Store or you can only sell 10 items at a time.
Then there were the zingers like "We think you are charging too much to ship that Thing - you should lower your shipping or consider offering Free shipping." Excuse me, this is between me and my Buyer. The stuff is Mine, not yours ebay! If the shoppers think my shipping is high, they won't buy my stuff.. but guess what? They WERE.
And they allow so many fake/counterfeit items to be sold on ebay as well.
Burying legitimate items in all the made in China crap.. I had to just cut the cord and I am happy I did.

Good Luck!
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left eBay years ago. I was an early seller there but then they started experimenting and every change meant hours spent editing listings. I had a large store. I made great money but it got so aggravating. I've also left Bonanza, Ruby Lane and ArtFire and some I can't remember their nAmes.

I came to eCRATER when I left eBay, opened 5 stores and did very well at first but things have been declining all over. The good thing about eCRATER is that it is constant. No drastic changes that take over your life. No long service outages. Pleasant owner and management. Very low fees. It is my favorite place to sell.

I have a very small store on Etsy but they have started charging 5% commission on our shipping fees and have started putting stores that don't discount of offer free shipping at the bottom of the search results. I'm not going to be there after Christmas. Their latest suggestion is to only charge half the shipping to the buyer and bury the other half in the item price.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left eBay over 10 years ago when I started paying more in fees than the profits I was making with all their nonsense.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post - oops
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am returning to ecrater and will be shutting down my store at that "other site" shortly after the first of the year. It's just way too expensive and intrusive and not worth it for a smaller seller like myself. Plus they seem to resent their sellers. Used to be a fun place, but it's a real drag now.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sold on eBay. I tried it once back in 2008 and ended up paying $40 in fees for absolutely no sales. I said 'NEVER AGAIN' and I haven't. That place is a rip off. I've been selling on Etsy since the beginning of 2014 after I got tired of Bonanza's BS (opened my first shop there in late 2009), but Etsy has been disappointing me more and more since 2016. If my eCrater shop were doing better, I'd shut down my Etsy shop altogether.

I used to sell on Ruby Plaza as a flagship store and was seriously disappointed that they decided to shut the site down just when things were starting to really pick up. The month before they made the announcement was my best month selling online anywhere and I have yet to top it. After the announcement, I made one sale during the last months of its existence...crazy!

I'm now setting up a new stand alone shop by a different name where I will sell my own stuff along with affiliate products. If it does well, then I will shut down my Etsy shop and never look back (just like I did with Bonanza), but I will always keep my eCrater shop as long as they're around -- and don't start pulling the same BS all the other venues have. I'm happy to help support a site that has its sellers' best interests at heart.
nuclearnostalgia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still sell on Ebay but sales have tanked so much. Ebay constantly messes with their search algorythms and policies. I rather just stop bothering.

Hopefully Ecrater is better for me, but who knows? We shall see.

Selling vintage stuff is pretty hard when most sites have pushed us out for some reason. I dont even think most vintage items show up on google shopping =/ but I could be wrong.

I wonder if there is natural traffic to our items in google search? Ive never personally seen an ecrater item pop up in google seach.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearnostalgia wrote:
Selling vintage stuff is pretty hard when most sites have pushed us out for some reason. I dont even think most vintage items show up on google shopping =/ but I could be wrong.

I wonder if there is natural traffic to our items in google search? Ive never personally seen an ecrater item pop up in google seach.
Welcome to eCRATER. Your vintage items will show in Google Shopping (GS) IF you add your Google Attributes. There is no charge to sellers on eCRATER to have your items submitted to GS. The links on GS go to your item page on the Marketplace and a sale will incur a 2.9% of the item price fee. You can also select a higher % after you've been here a while and eCRATER will bid higher for your items.

Yes our items do show in Google organic and Bing. On Google, it seems there are more links to the eCRATER Marketplace than to our stores.

If you have questions, feel free to start a new topic with your questions.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them. They are closing it down in a few months or changing things, but I have found it has helped to G+ my items when I also promote them on Pinterest, etc. That can help.

Do you ever go to search for something on the net and fall down a rabbit hole? While looking to see if I could find some ecrater listings on GS, I saw several. Then I saw a sewing pattern that was so blurry you could barely tell what you were looking at! What are these sellers thinking? I checked that seller in the venue she was selling on and all her photos were blurry or really yellow (those of us old enough remember film that is left in a camera too long and all the photos that aren't blurry are yellow/orange. I don't know if she was stealing her own pictures or if it was a site that would take everything out of her Etsy store and upload them and she never looked at them, but when I see things like that I usually think that someone has stolen our photos. Especially when some are yellow and others have all sorts of varying backgrounds, etc. They seem to steal the worst photos as well. Very frustrating to those of us that try our best to upload nice clear photos and then someone comes along and uses it for themselves. Like if it is up on the internet it is free for the asking! GRRRRR Anyhow I had to stop myself from really investigating this seller as I have others things to do tonight! It is Friday after all!
nuclearnostalgia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
nuclearnostalgia wrote:

Welcome to eCRATER. Your vintage items will show in Google Shopping (GS) IF you add your Google Attributes. There is no charge to sellers on eCRATER to have your items submitted to GS. The links on GS go to your item page on the Marketplace and a sale will incur a 2.9% of the item price fee. You can also select a higher % after you've been here a while and eCRATER will bid higher for your items.

Yes our items do show in Google organic and Bing. On Google, it seems there are more links to the eCRATER Marketplace than to our stores.

If you have questions, feel free to start a new topic with your questions.

Thank you. This gives me hope. I will certainly use the higher percentage if possible.
TheSycamoreBoutique

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Coming back after many years away Reply with quote

Oddly enough I used to be on eCrater about 15 years ago - pretty much within a year of them opening up.

I had sales and it wasn't too bad, then I got lured away by the promise of ... Artfire and then Etsy and I eventually abandoned my shop.

I finally did land in the Amazon jungle and have made it nearly a full time job but now I am looking for a replacement for Etsy (I am a 14 year veteran there) since it feels like it is circling the drain (maybe not in total sales but certainly in reputation).

I also have my own stand alone website (have for 20+ years ) but I like the community aspect here and the promise of some web visiblity that seems to be evaporating at Etsy.

So, everything old is new again ...
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: