eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping Rate With Another Item

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dndproducts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Shipping Rate With Another Item Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the shipping rate "With Another Item" is meant for the same type of item or any other item listed? For instance, My main product is graphic printed shirts, but I have miscellaneous items as well. Now there is a weight difference and I could not possibly ship an item that weighs more than a shirt for the same price. Although, I could ship a second shirt for less than the original shipping cost/rate. I know some of you elite sellers have the answer. Appreciate your help.
Dee
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: shipping costs of "another item" Reply with quote

I believe, the shipping costs defaults to the item with the higher shipping costs. Thusly, if any other heavier/higher shipping cost item other than a shirt were purchased along with a shirt, the shipping costs would default to the item of the higher shipping costs with the shirt being the "other" item that would then be charged the lesser value designated as "with another item".
dndproducts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: shipping costs of "another item" Reply with quote

Thank you for your time. I believe I understand your explanation, but see a problem. Some of my items have "free shipping", but I am forced to enter a rate for the second item which in effect would eliminate the free shipping.
For instance, I have a electric football game listed with free shipping. If a buyer were to purchase the game and a printed shirt and I have entered a shipping cost of 4.95 for the shirt with 5.95 "with another item", this seems to impose a shipping cost on the buyer for the game when there should be none. Am I missing something?
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of that circumstance will come along to help you. I don't do "free shipping" so don't know how you'd get around having some items free shipping and others not with the way eCrater has set up their shipping system...
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eCrater system looks at the 1st shipping cost of each item in the order and applies the highest cost shipping to the order. Next it looks for the "with another item" and applies that rate.

Let's do a pretend order. Customer orders the following items with the shipping method shown on each item's page and the shipping amount:

Electric football game - Free Shipping - $0.00

Printed Shirt - Flat Rate Shipping to: - $4.95 rate ; $5.95 with another item

The system is going to look at the 1st rate for each item ($0.00 and $4.95) and the printed shirt has the highest rate, so the system will add $4.95 shipping. Since the shipping for the shirt has already been used, the system is going to add the rate for the second item ($0.00) and the customer will be charged a total of $4.95 shipping ($4.95 + $0.00).

Now if the customer orders 2 printed shirts, the system will select the highest 1st rate ($4.95 for one shirt) , then add the "with another item" for the other 2 items ($0.00 + $5.95) for a total ($4.95 + $0.00 + $5.95) of $10.90.

Taking the same 3 items, but changing the electric game to a flat rate shipping of $15.00. You plan to ship it by itself so you enter $15.00 in the "with another item" box also. The system will look at the first rates for the game and the two shirts ($15.00, $4.95 & $4.95) and will select the highest rate of $15.00 for the game. Next the system will add the "with another item" rate for the 2 shirts ($5.95 + $5.95), so the shipping will be $15.00 + $5.95 + $5.95 for a total shipping of $26.90. You have the option of shipping the 3 items in one package, 2 packages or 3 packages; the choice will be yours.

How the system would work when one item has free shipping, one item uses the weight matrix and one item uses the flat rate shipping would take a little more time than I have right now. But this should answer your basic question.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never given this topic a 2nd thought until now. I'm confused as to why, in the example shipping for one shirt would be $4.95 but the 2nd shirt cost $5.95 more. I'm thinking the OP wants the 2 shirt shipping cost to be $5.95 total.

Is the OP using calculated shipping? Or flat rate?

I use calculated and when a customer has purchased multiple items the weights of the items are added together and the shipping is calculated on that total weight.

I do have the "with another item" boxes filled out and have always just entered the same rate in both boxes. Since I'm using calculated shipping these rates are only used as a backup.
dndproducts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First to SheilaDeesPostcards, thank you, you have been very helpful. As long as a buyer would not be charged a shipping cost when there should be no cost, that's great.

Second to jigsaw-puzzle-palooza, You hit the mark about the cost of shipping and made me realize also that I probably misunderstand the system. I can ship a second shirt for $1.00, so the total for two shirts would be $5.95. Thank you.

Therefore, my next question is, which number should I put in the "with another item" place: $5.95 or $1.00?

Again thanks to both of you and others that have patience with me.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet with that is to use the matrix. While difficult to use, it is flexible. Doesn't have to be weights.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
Your best bet with that is to use the matrix. While difficult to use, it is flexible. Doesn't have to be weights.

I'll agree with that one! I've been using the matrix since I got here and my multi-item orders always work out, but then when I might think about listing something heavy I try to figure out how to work it into the matrix as generally my increase in postage stops at a pound for a Priority mail package. If it can't be worked in I try to go elsewhere to sell it. Not everything is easily sold on eCRATER and the same with all the other venues.

I do think that you add the $1 for the 'with another item' spot otherwise the customer is going to wonder why he is paying over $10 to ship two t-shirts when it only costs $5 for one.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my items work out well to offer free shipping on the second item, but I hadn't thought that it wouldn't extend to everything if they buy a second item. May have to put some more thought into that one...goal being "buy x amount, get free shipping."
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: