eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need advice - having issues with finding correct UPC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Need advice - having issues with finding correct UPC Reply with quote

I've looked everywhere in the threads about UPC and I can't find the answer to my question. I hope someone can offer advice or point me to a thread that I might not be aware of.

I have about 100 pieces of designer clothing from Nordstrom. They are new with tags, but don't have a UPC. It seems that what I see on a tag is some sort of product number or inventory number that Nordstrom places on the item. It's not a UPC.

I found a couple of UPC lookup sites where you can enter the name of the item and it gives you options to select from to find the UPC. Most of the time I can't find my product with this method.

A couple of things I've done to find the correct UPC: (1) checked Nordstrom; most of the time the item isn't on their site anymore (2) checked search engines for a similar product, then navigated to that site and tried to find out if a UPC is listed there. For example, on Bonanza their attributes are shown on their product page and the UPC can be found there. But, most of the time I can't find my UPC by searching through Google.

Advice? These are new items with tags....just no UPC
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know, sorry. I guess most tags have UPC as that is what gets scanned at the register so it seems like they should have them. Many clothing items have a number starting with RN or RL something like that and it is the store code and it is unique to the store. Other than knowing about that I don't buy enough clothing to help out. Sorry.

Are you listing them where you have to have the UPC?
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moonwishes! Poshmark doesn't care...they don't even have attribute fields. Bonanza does require the UPC, and so does eCrater. I'm not even considering eBay at this point. I suppose I could just list them as new and use the attribute identifier exists:false. I could list a couple of them here and see what happens. I've never had to worry about this before. I've always had a used item, or had patterns with UPC. I've actually seen a couple of sellers on Bonanza who list them as used, but then put NWT (new with tags) in their title. I looked at one yesterday that actually showed up in google shopping. Looked strange.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what we have to do with new patterns on Amazon. List them as Very Good and then describe them as NEW, uncut etc... Most customers don't care as long as the pattern isn't cut and but Amazon doesn't want them listed as new if not bought from the manufacturer. It does look weird, and most pattern sellers will list them as new as long as the envelope is semi-nice and the pattern uncut. I have no problem telling someone here that a pattern is new and uncut (and yet I still get questions asking if it is uncut or new!). As a sewer, I know what I want in a pattern.

It isn't as if someone cares about a UPC on clothing. Usually those tags are ripped off and that is that.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grannysbargainattic wrote:
Poshmark doesn't care...they don't even have attribute fields. Bonanza does require the UPC, and so does eCrater.
Just to correct the record, eCrater and Bonanza DO NOT require the UPC. Google Shopping requires the UPC code under certain conditions for the feed. If Google Shopping doesn't like something about the item on the feed, they will send a notice to eCrater regarding either a problem or disapproval. As a service to their customers, eCrater will post the information on the item page. Once a seller makes the corrections, eCrater will resubmit the item, but it can take weeks for Google Shopping to respond so eCrater can clear the message on the item page. I don't even want to discuss Bonanza's system except to say it makes me really appreciate eCrater! We've talked about Poshmark before and they say they don't do a feed for their customers. However, it appears they do a feed for some items as part of their advertising plan.

grannysbargainattic wrote:

I have about 100 pieces of designer clothing from Nordstrom. They are new with tags, but don't have a UPC. It seems that what I see on a tag is some sort of product number or inventory number that Nordstrom places on the item. It's not a UPC. ...

I suppose I could just list them as new and use the attribute identifier exists:false. ...

I've actually seen a couple of sellers on Bonanza who list them as used, but then put NWT (new with tags) in their title. I looked at one yesterday that actually showed up in google shopping. Looked strange.

Keep in mind that a UPC number may have never been assigned by the manufacture for the item you want to sell. If there was only one retailer (or retail chain) for the item, the manufacture may have been requested to place a store bar code on the price tag instead of a Global Trade Identification Number (gtin) which we normally refer to as the upc #. Is it possible your items were a Nordstrom exclusive? If yes, they may have never had a upc.

What does Google Shopping say they want on the feed? Here are two links you need to really review. First is a link to the basic information for the feed where you need to scroll down to the section titled Product identifiers. https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7052112?visit_id=636953435675390865-1484765250&rd=1
For additional information be sure to review the page related to Product identifiers here: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160161
You'll see what GS wants related to upc, brand, mpn, isbn; and what to do when you don't have the information.

There has always been a debate regarding clothes NWT that are purchased on a secondary market instead of from the original manufacture. Some sellers feel these are new and some feel they should be listed as used. On eCrater we can list them as New-other, but we have to remember that these items will be sent to GS as new so we have to meet GS rules for new items.

If I were listing the items, I'd use the attribute of brand and identifier_exists based on what you have said and what I read on Google regarding the GS feed. (I assumed you have the brand, but it's questionable as to the mpn and you don't have the upc.) Don't forget you must also add size and color.
grannysbargainattic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDees...you have always been so helpful, thank you! I understand that it is Google that has the UPC requirement, not eCrater...I was just in a hurry as usual and didn't state it correctly. Thanks for the links; I'll look at the information carefully. I didn't stop to think they may have been Nordstrom exclusives; that may be the case. You always provide the answers that people need. I personally appreciate that.

I also appreciate eCrater. The more I use other marketplaces, the more I like eCrater. I don't understand, for one example, why Bonanza charges sellers to use Stripe. Makes me crazy.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words, it's really appreciated. I assumed you knew the upc requirement was from Google Shopping, however we all know there are many folks who read the forum besides the person asking the question so I always try to address them also.

I have no idea if Nordstrom has items made exclusively for them, but I figured it's a real possibility.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: