eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Quick request for suggestions on the Google Shopping Feed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And leaving out UPC did NOT work:

"Missing required attributes for this product. Please include:
brand and upc/ean/jan. "

brand is there, but per the previous post from SheilaDeesPostcards I replaced the UPC in the attribute name with identifier_exists ... still no good.

So please, in the Google Attributes section, what exactly do I enter for the Attribute Name and for the Attribute Value ? Or, more to the point, how do I format it so Google knows that it's for the UPC?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brand and upc/ean/jan. "
This is the error message eCRATER received from Google & it will stay visible until another feed AND Google doesn't return the same error. It could take a week or more for the error message to go away. It is never instant. At least eCRATER tells you there was a Google error. The other sites on which I've listed don't even tell you there is an error.
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I have no idea how to format this, apparently. I can't use UPC for the Attribute Name, but if I don't have it IN the name, I get that same error about needing to add UPC.

Also, what is the value for age group that is the equivalent of "Any" ? Or would it literally BE Any?

Thanks,
--jim
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brand and upc/ean/jan. "

then...

"This is the error message eCRATER received from Google & it will stay visible until another feed AND Google doesn't return the same error. It could take a week or more for the error message to go away. It is never instant. At least eCRATER tells you there was a Google error. The other sites on which I've listed don't even tell you there is an error."

The error about needing upc didn't show up until I tried to use this pair:

Attribute Name: identifier_exists
Attribute Value: false

So how do you format this (with "upc" in there somewhere)?

Thanks,
--jim
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I have a bunch of items with no UPCs and even though I have the identifier_exists:false on their attributes, I still am showing the red exclamation mark. I have been massively tweaking listings this past month. I started the month with a note showing I had 224 items that needed to be fixed. At one point the number moved up to 227 and is now down to 225, yet in the meantime, I have fixed 17 listings and yet the number doesn't indicate it at all! My mind is either too mushy or too pure for Google's nefarious ways to understand them.

However, I have GOOD news for you! I had to come downstairs to use Google search down here since upstairs they think I am in Canada and downstairs shows me to be in my own town. I saw some of this while Google thought I was in Canada but wanted to be sure with the US organic Google search. This is the search that people who have never heard of Google Shopping use. I know I never used GS until I came here. I inputted "Handmade White Howlite Western Bolo Tie Arrowhead Slide" into the search bar. A row of photos came up but then YOUR listing took the first two spots on Google organic and since this is not something I generally look for, I would think it is a more honest result than me seeing myself as number one for a sewing pattern. Very Happy The first two spots on the organic search leading to your ecrater store is massive. I did see in the photos and the GS that your bolos aren't showing up. Looks like there are a lot.

I would generally never recommend this because I don't want anyone to get mad at me and beat me with a wet noodle, but as soon as you can (I think newbies have to wait a bit to do this) I would increase your attributes fee % to see if you would start standing out in GS and kick the other sellers to the curb. Sometimes they do ads off to the Right-hand upper part of the page. I was surprised to see one of mine one day. In the meantime, ask the eCRATER team if you are doing anything wrong with your attributes and how can you fix them? The team is usually very helpful and you want to be sold by Christmas as those look to be gifts for the dad that has everything. I was seeing two price points, one is low and most likely inferior and some priced around $20 or higher than yours (although of course, it depends on the slide element).

Can you think of anything else you can sell that might go fast so you can maybe get to using a higher fee? I only recommend this because if that gets you to stand out, you should be getting the sales. Hope this helps and encourages you. You are seen and being seen in the place I still feel that most folks come when they want to find things. Very Happy
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one reason why I used my Etsy product pages, changing only the titles (not doing keyword stuffing in the titles ... see which works better). I spent a lot of time on each getting good SEO. What didn't go into the title and tags went into the text of the description.

I do have an email out to customer support about the google shopping feed data. I also found some google docs about that, but the eCrater forms don't support the values found in the google documentation, leading me to believe that one is older than the other (great, as if it wasn't confusing enough, right?).... According to the google docs, for UPC (etc.), identifier_exists is a valid attribute name in itself, and its values are either yes or no (eCrater requres either true or false (which they list as all uppercase).

So now, looking at the official google documentation leads me down yet another road that doesn't work.

Has ANYONE who sells handmade items (and hasn't spent tons of money on actual UPCs for them) ever gotten the google shopping feed to work? Because if they have, they're not answering here. I NEED this to work. I have medical bills upon medical bills that need to be paid off. And even before those are paid off, more come along. Just how it is. I also would love to get back to having a life, as opposed to just staying alive. But Social "Security" Disability doesn't really give you that option, or rather, the money to let you have that option.

You suggested finding something that would let me sell more, etc..... I don't know if it's possible to insert images here, and if it is, I definitely don't know how, so check out the following:

Don't tread on me concho: https://www.springfieldleather.com/1-3-8-Dont-Tread-on-Me-Concho

Cord ends/bolo tips: https://www.springfieldleather.com/Bolo-Tip-1-Nickel-Plate-Pair

Along with an adapter to convert the screwback concho into a bolo slide, that's my next product. Oh, and with 42 inches of 4mm diameter brown braided leather bolo cord.

The next will be a MAGA 45 concho. After that, if I can find it, another personal one, USAF Special Operations Intelligence (or just USAF SOF ... sorry, Special Operations forces). Maybe also USSOCOM Intelligence (or, again, just USSOCOM). Then Navy Seals, Army Rangers, Marine Corps Recon, and so on. Then on to more southwestern themes.

But I keep going back to this utter failure to get google shopping stuff working. I need that. I can't afford to even think about advertising up front, but having a percentage taken out of an order is perfect for me, as I don't have to be able to afford it, and the way I see it, if I get more than one order that way, it's paid for itself. And that's what I'm hoping for---lots of orders, preferably lots per day. When Jinx (my already HUGE Maine Coone kitten---for the next week and a half or so, until 6Aug, then he's an adult cat) gets a few years older, he's going to be eating a LOT more high-quality cat food. I need to be able to pay for that. Smile
pickychicky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal for you to sometimes get that error message when you enter the attribute identifier_exists (the only acceptable format) and enter false for its value. Since Google requires the GTIN for all but a few categories (like handmade), it can take the system a bit of time to realize that one is not required. So just ignore that message as it should clear itself out within the next week or so.
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 26 Jul 2019 21:57, purpleiris wrote:

Quote:
It's normal for you to sometimes get that error message when you enter the attribute identifier_exists (the only acceptable format) and enter false for its value. Since Google requires the GTIN for all but a few categories (like handmade), it can take the system a bit of time to realize that one is not required. So just ignore that message as it should clear itself out within the next week or so.

Now that even my damaged brain (cancer #1, 2nd met, 3 brain tumors, 3 very severe brain surgeries, then whole-brain/max-dose radiation therapy) can understand. Thanks! Getting that into all of my product files now.

And just FWIW, my new Don't Tread On Me bolo's stuff just left Pensacola on its way here, Fort Walton Beach (NW FL). It'll be on a truck out for delivery in around an hour. Smile

Thanks to everyone here---you've all been a great help. Now I'm confident that my products will be picked up in the next couple of google feed runs (support said it could take a couple of those for everything to get sorted out at google, or something to that effect). I'll post here after the next one (not sure if that'll be Monday or Tuesday morning, when I'll know how it went) with an update).

Side note: the damage from the two tumors that were on the left side of my brain sometimes causes errors for both typing and writing (printing, not cursive...haven't used cursive except for my squiggly-line signature since high school). I've been constantly correcting words with letters reversed, spelled backwards, etc., throughout this post, so if I missed any, please excuse it. I usually feel them before I see them, but....

[/b]
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, one final reply ... the official word (gee, it sounds familiar, too.

From questions@ecrater.com: "The red text in the admin tool is an eCRATER tool to show you the required attributes for your products. The identifier_exists tells Google Shopping that your items do not have these. Please just ignore the red text."

So there it is. The official answer.

Later,
--jim
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know (from personal experience or reading it somewhere in the labyrinth that is Google) whether we're supposed to actually use "gtin" over "upc" in the attributes? Does the G favor one over the other? Can it go so far as cause a disapproval? Gtin encompasses a few attribute options, so...

And as long as we're talking Attributes, I've recently put 2 and 2 together that the product type can be of our own choosing. So in the interest of cross marketing, can we have more than one, or will G only read the first and you have to make a choice?
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
Does anyone know (from personal experience or reading it somewhere in the labyrinth that is Google) whether we're supposed to actually use "gtin" over "upc" in the attributes? Does the G favor one over the other? Can it go so far as cause a disapproval? Gtin encompasses a few attribute options, so...

From prior discussions here and readings on Google Shopping help, you should use the type of GTIN (upc, ean, jan, or isbn) as the attribute title. The information GS provides is confusing, but I believe PurpleIris went through this several months ago and came away with the info that you should not use GTIN.

dccollectibles wrote:
And as long as we're talking Attributes, I've recently put 2 and 2 together that the product type can be of our own choosing. So in the interest of cross marketing, can we have more than one, or will G only read the first and you have to make a choice?
You can add the product type if you want to, but eCRATER is not going to submit it to GS. At one time (a long time ago in the early days of attributes) we could use product type AND we could add more than one. I was one of those who loved this attribute and saw it as a way to show one item that fit in two categories. The final answer from ecrater on the forum was this was an attribute that was submitted based on the global category / subcategory in which we listed the item. If we used the product type attribute, it would be ignored by the feed. Crying or Very sad I can look up the discussion if you wish, but I don't have time right now.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HandmadeJewelryByJim wrote:
That's one reason why I used my Etsy product pages, changing only the titles (not doing keyword stuffing in the titles ... see which works better). I spent a lot of time on each getting good SEO. What didn't go into the title and tags went into the text of the description. That's fine, but you should remove the line "Etsy description" from your eCRATER listings.

I do have an email out to customer support about the google shopping feed data. I also found some google docs about that, but the eCrater forms don't support the values found in the google documentation, leading me to believe that one is older than the other (great, as if it wasn't confusing enough, right?).... According to the google docs, for UPC (etc.), identifier_exists is a valid attribute name in itself, and its values are either yes or no (eCrater requres either true or false (which they list as all uppercase). Which we had already told you. Also, I told you Google Shopping accepts the value false or no with any capitalization. Originally, GS only accepted false, but added the acceptance of no within the last couple of years. AND eCRATER does not "require" true or false, they merely gave FALSE as an example.

So now, looking at the official google documentation leads me down yet another road that doesn't work.

Has ANYONE who sells handmade items (and hasn't spent tons of money on actual UPCs for them) ever gotten the google shopping feed to work? Because if they have, they're not answering here. I NEED this to work. I have medical bills upon medical bills that need to be paid off. And even before those are paid off, more come along. Just how it is. I also would love to get back to having a life, as opposed to just staying alive. But Social "Security" Disability doesn't really give you that option, or rather, the money to let you have that option. YES, I've sold handmade items and YES the Google Shopping Feed works. AND I volunteer my time to try to help newcomers to the site get their attributes accepted. I even took the time to tell you of the other attributes you need to add to get your items accepted and with good placement, but I guess you think a postcard seller has no clue about handmade items.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila - Are we absolutely sure the product_type isn't submitted to Google? Ecrater may use their own system--I remember this discussion too--but I've recently found some information that suggests that even though it doesn't affect the item's placement directly, it may help with search categorizing. Perhaps there was a miscommunication by eCrater? The confusion stems from there being a "category" and "type". The former being required by Google, and the latter based on user preference or store layout. I should probably email eCrater CS for confirmation. Still, I'm not sure if more than one value is acceptable.

Nevermind. Decided to take it to ecrater CS. Will post a separate thread if there's anything new to report. Sorry for the hijack. Thought it might help the overall problem but no big deal. Back to the thread.

Last edited by dccollectibles on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, DC why don't you copy this info over to a new topic on the eCRATER Sellers Only forum. This could get several answers and we've hijacked Jim's thread where he needs help with his store.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

self-deleted as I combined this into my next response since both answers were for DC.

Last edited by pickychicky on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: