eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

SEO tags for individual listings - where?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: SEO tags for individual listings - where? Reply with quote

I put a lot of time into SEO for my listings, in the title, description, and what's left in the tags.
But where do the tags go in eCrater product listings? There isn't a space to add tags, so do I just add something like:

Tags: blah, blah2, blah3, blah4, etc

at the end of my description, and if so, would that be before or after the google shopping feed stuff? I'm assuming before, but just to be sure, I'm also asking....

If not, where DO they go?

Thanks,
Jim
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, generally we can not do meta tags per item. On your administrator page you will see a box that says text and colors. Under it is an edit text button that when you click on it you can see all the places where you can have text independent of a listing. It does give you a spot for title tag, meta description tag, and meta keywords tag. That is the only place that you will find them. I filled them out as they pertain to my whole store. In general, eCRATER doesn't have anything hidden on us that we can us to insert info. So in this case you can do tags for your whole store, you can't do it per item.
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll just expand one of the ways I added them before:

Details

* Unisex bolo
* Gift for him
* Gift for her
* Western and Southwestern style

etc., as long as it can look natural, as opposed to looking like deliberate tag stuffing, which would probably turn off any would-be potential customer.

Thanks, I'm working on SEO for everything now (re-working all but my new "A Handmade Bolo Tie For American Patriots, United We Stand Don't Tread On Me Western Tie" ... I'm not finished, but I started that one yesterday. If somone is merely searching for "patriotic bolos", well, I've still got work to do on that one, as the competition is steep on Google Shopping. But if they are more certain of what they want, and search for "don't tread on me bolos" the one I finally decided to go ahead and put on Etsy is #5 on Google shopping. If they use "bolo tie" instead of just "bolos", the one from Etsy is still #5, and the one from my Bonanza (where I'm at 13% for marketing) listing appears at the bottom of page one, except apparently, "New without tags" means used. I just saw plain "New" at the bottom of the "condition" list and am fixing that..... As for the one from here, it doesn't show up at all (but I'm limited to the 2.9% rate here). If there was a page two, it'd probably be there, but.....

Funny thing is, I'm not paying Etsy for a Google shopping feed, but it shows up there (I'm assuming that the "Shopping" tag on Google search is Google shopping) anyways. Strange.

Either way, working on SEO, which I used to think was so complex (having listened to far too many youtube "tutorials" telling me to stay far awy from the high-volume (say, 500,000 hits/month) keywords, and to go for the low-volume ones (say, 20 hits/month). Then I saw one that said exactly the opposite, and now, as long as I keep it current (which I must admit, I didn't), I rank pretty well (somewhere on the first page for most).

So thanks again for the answer on this one. Now I know how best to proceed with the keywords that don't make it into the title or the description, that would be in tags, but will now be (again, as long as I can make it seem natural) in my Details section of the description.

And remember, never use SEO keywords with over 20 hits/month or you won't rank. Just kidding. Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your keywords naturally into your listing description and/or titles is the way to do it, plus with attributes, although since I know nothing about jewelry attributes I can't give advice on that one Very Happy

Back quite a few years I read a book to review and it said that you generally don't get the SEOs attention until you have had your website/store for 6 months. They don't like the hopping around that some do. They want to see somewhat stable sites. I shared this with my son who has two businesses and his one website wasn't getting much in the way of hits until the 6-month mark and then boom! Right on the 6-month mark, that business took off (he also sells online both patterns and other neat stuff he finds. He is my competition!).
HandmadeJewelryByJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw mention of that six month thing on a youtube (updating for 2019) SEO video. That absolutely does not match my experience. I just set my Bonanza shop up less than a week ago, and, as mentioned before, my Gadsen flag bolo is already on page one of Google shopping, just a bit below the one from Etsy, where I don't even have a GS feed (but has been around for a couple of years, with older, more beginner-level junk earlier on). But the six month thing does not seem to apply at all, if it even exists. It is curious why people say it does, though.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a book, then-current, about it and it seems in many ways to hold up to the theory of at least not hopping around. We get sellers here that don't get any sales in a couple of weeks and rather than problem solve, they pull up stacks and move on to most likely the same situation.

While the 6-month SEO thing may be no more, I find it interesting how many want to complain of their lack of sales on any venue, and rather than seeing what they might be doing wrong, they blame Google or the venue, never thinking that they have too short titles, fuzzy photos, and a truly poor description. All fixable things if someone is willing to take the time to fix them. Instead, they go somewhere else and repeat the bad habits.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Tags is a feature unique to Etsy as a way to group your keywords. Some Blog templates also feature a tags section which again is a place to group your keywords. On eCrater, you include your keywords in your title and/or your description.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: