eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Moving items into sub-categories -- (imported Ebay listings)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Moving items into sub-categories -- (imported Ebay listings) Reply with quote

I am still trying to set up my eCrater store. I have brought in all my listings that I have from my largest Ebay store. I have created a few sub-categories but can not figure out how to move or link items to those new categories. I would like to break it up so it is easier for people to see what popstars I have for sale. Any help is appreciated.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Moving items into sub-categories -- (imported Ebay listi Reply with quote

24-hour-mall wrote:
I have created a few sub-categories but can not figure out how to move or link items to those new categories.

Not 100% sure I understand the question, so forgive me if the reply doesn't help. But....

In your admin, for each product listing, there is a pull-down menu labeled "Local Category." That menu should have listed the categories and sub-categories you have specified under Categories in the Basic SetUp of the admin. So you just select the appropriate cat/subcat that pertains to that product.
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Moving items into sub-categories -- (imported Ebay listings) Reply with quote

FoxAndFish - let me try and explain it better.

I imported 1159 listings from my eBay store. They are found in a folder titled my ebay. I would like to break up that folder into sub-categories to show what I have in my store. So I then created the 4 sub-categories but they don't have anything in them. I want to be able to click on Teen Magazines and just see the Magazines and not posters, pinups, and clippings that are in the my ebay folder. Right now I don't see anything as it shows (0) zero.

My eBay: (1159)
Teen Magazines (0)
Rolling Stone / Entertainment Weekly (0)
Popstars guys (0)
Popstars girls (0)

https://24-hour-mall.ecrater.com/category.php
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you want to do...I don't have another way to explain what I believe is the process. Tho, I've never imported from eBay, so I don't know if that changes the process that I've followed since 2009.

I'll make another attempt.

As an example, here's a Tiger Beat magazine in your store:

https://24-hour-mall.ecrater.com/p/34832734/tiger-beat-magazine-may-2000-christina

In your admin, for that product listing, what have you selected for "Local Category"?

If you've slected "my eBay," that product will show up in the my eBay category in your store. Which is how it does appear.

If you've selected "Teen Magazines," that product will show up in the Teen Magazines category in your store.

It appears you've started to create some cats/subcats. You "link" the product to the cat/subcat with that pull-down menu called "Local Category."
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Moving items into sub-categories -- (imported Ebay listings) Reply with quote

What you are saying makes sense ... I just don't see anything that says "Local Category" Maybe I am in the wrong place.

I see it now. I was where it says manage products "Choose Category"... not inside an individual listing in admin.

It usually takes me a while to figure out how things operate. Simple once you see it. Got it - Thanks for your help!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to the categories, you can drill down and make sub-categories as well as sub-sub-categories. However you will have to go through every item in your ebay folder and assign it to the correct category. When you are done, you will have nothing left in the ebay folder.

You can look at my categories at my store. For the last few months I have been, as time allows, moving items from the main categories into the sub category for each item. Currently working on my costumes categories so if someone is looking for girls Halloween costumes, they only have to look in that one category, at least when I get done with their main categories to sub categories to help customers find what they are looking for. Or if they are looking for Cosplay costumes those will be altogether.

In case you didn't realize it yet, under each persons post you will see some buttons, one with www in it. Click on that it will take you to the posters store. Not saying mine is perfect, but might give you ideas.
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip moonwishesStore.

I did notice the "www" and wondered what its function was - now I know.
I like how you have your images for the categories - I will be doing that also.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. I know that some are 'visual' learners so it helps to see how something they want to do can be done. I have seen some really weird categories for stores in my niche. It makes me think the person doesn't really understand their product.

Any time you need help, just ask.
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely a visual learner so I appreciated seeing your store. Made everything click for me on how I will be setting up my categories.

Thanks again!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can see why I wished I had done this from day one! I still have thousands of listings to sub-categorize but I think it should help shoppers a great deal to find what they are looking for. Say they have a little boy that they need to buy him a costume pattern. All they will have to do is click on costumes>boys and will see all we have and perhaps the boys and girls subcategory as well, but no longer have to slog through 1000's of listings because they can't figure out how to do a search.

An interesting tidbit about Halloween costumes. !0-06-2016 I added in a boys and girls costume that is in my mind very cute. It didn't sell, until Friday night I sold one and yesterday the other sold (just 24-hours apart after 3 years of being listed). Just because things may not sell right away doesn't mean that they won't sell. Very Happy
24-hour-mall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe after all these years they don't have a bulk editor or global system for changes. One by one is very tedious and I'm only dealing with 1158 listings.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a lot of us old foggy's came on board we didn't even have the eBay up-loader. Or is it a down-loader? We had no option but to list one by one and at that point we were on dial up!Now we have satellite internet. Then I realized that eCRATER was the easiest place to list on of all the venues I had ever used. So much could be copied and pasted and then the second page for photos #2-10. But we didn't have to do attributes at that point which was and is a pain in the neck! We downloaded Turbo Lister and compared that to current stock and found so many errors, but for the most part we could copy paste from there. I did discover that one of the boxes of patterns that were in a stack I never got into to pull anything from a sale. As we went through, we discovered why. Just about everything in the box, and our database showed that we had listed it, had disappeared from eBay in all their dinking around with the site. One of my pattern boxes hold about 200 patterns, so eBay had somehow deleted almost 200 of our patterns and then as we continued, we found more of that nonsense but not such a large amount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: