eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Five Sales And Three Return Requests?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centralavenue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Five Sales And Three Return Requests? Reply with quote

I am baffled here. I have been selling on Ebay for several years, and begin to actually sell on Ecrater this past summer, despite my account being set up some time ago. I've made only five sales so far, and three people requested returns on new items in excellent condition (two audio cables and some dress socks). Most of my items I do not accept returns on unless the items are more costly to the buyer. I am way too small of a seller, but even so, I will generally always try to accommodate a customer.

Has any else experience such a lousy batting average?

The first return the guy appeared to work for Google, as he shipped the return from a company address associated with Google. I speculated I was being tested--but not sure if this was the actual case. Sigh. Three out of five gone wrong seems awfully high. Not one of the customers ever complained about any of the products either--just did not want them. Sad
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall hearing this happening before. I rarely get refund requests from my store here. It could be that the big venues have people conditioned to return any and everything. I average maybe 1-2 a year and it is usually because people don't read the descriptions and think they will get a completed garment instead of a sewing pattern.

Just a note if you don't mind. To sell on eCRATER, I believe that you have to sell to all 50 states including HI and AK. I don't know about the territories.
centralavenue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for writing MoonwhishesStore. I absolutely agree about buyers being conditioned to return anything, especially through venues like Ebay which constantly encourages it. Despite Ebay's behavior, I only got a few returns last year out of 190+ sales. But my intention is to leave Ebay in the upcoming year, as "management" has become way too intrusive and dysfunctional.

I did not know about the rules regarding shipping to Hawaii or Alaska. I will have to look further into this and adjust my settings.

I hope my odds improves. Usually when I get a return, the item is not in as good condition upon return. I also have yet to establish feedback; unfortunately some people target new sellers for "freebies".

Thank you so much for your advice--I do appreciate it!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nicest things about eCRATER is the ability to run our stores with our own rules. As long as we follow the eCRATER has set, we have the ability to function in our own way. If you look at eCRATER's rules compared to the pages and pages of rules that go along with Amazon & eBay and I assume many of the larger venues, we have the freedom here to still function in the way we used to back in the days I started selling online, almost 18 years ago. Things have changed so much in the world of online selling as each of the venues went public and at that moment, the venues all have to pay way to much attention to stock holders so that share values increase. And in the desire to have increased and higher profits, more and more rules that increase the bottom line. For example, on top of the 15% final value for when selling a book, Amazon arbitrarily charges an extra fee of $1.80 per each media item sold! No reason. It isn't charged with any other category other than media.

I haven't sold on eBay in many years now, but they seem to be the worst about charging fees and then giving nothing in service, such as many sellers complain that their items don't even show when they look for them! Or the horrible things you see when you do find a listing that you want to checkout. You can see the photo and then you are faced with many ads for similar products or products that have nothing to do with what you searched for. You have to go to a second page before you can even find the description of what is for sale. I was looking for some card-making magazines last year as in greeting cards. when I would do the search, I would get results for men's wrestling magazines, Sports Illustrated, etc. Now after the first or second time of bypassing those completely, you would think that whatever controls what is shown would have figured that out and started presenting items of the type I was searching for. But no, more SI and wrestling.

As you want to leave eBay, I'm sure you understand the disaster eBay has become, but one great place gone down the tubes. I don't even think it could be saved as who would trust the place again. But this isn't the sort of thing you will find here. We are treated as valuable parts of the eCRATER 'family'.

I hope your next sales go better.
centralavenue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have mentioned some of the best things about Ecrater, including being in control of our own ships! I also feel Ecrater is very fair with their fees. It makes Ecrater sustainable and it give sellers a chance to make a decent profit.

Ebay has created a terrible environment for sellers. As you alluded to, not only do they suppress my listings; they put competitor ads beneath the description! Ebafia trys to "coerce" sellers to purchase stores--doing so will increase visibility of your listings-- BUT they decrease visibility to get sellers onboard. Just rancid, unethical, greedy.... They do not care about sellers no more than they do about buyers.

I also feel looking through listings has become a hassle on Ebay! Big box retailers and sellers who purchase big stores packages have one item plastered several times on one page! I have a limited wireless plan, and not much gig to waste waddling in redundant Ebay listings. Many sellers cannot afford to sell there anymore. When they switch to Adyen to Paypal I will be gone. Ebay linked into my financial account--NO WAY! Shocked

I do feel people view newbies as vulnerable; and will try to intimidate us, quietly dangling the possibility of negative feedback. Ebay in fact, with its contorted philiosphies have made many buyers into "entitled" beasts. These beasts have made their way to my new abode! Regarding the refund requests, two out of the three listings specifically stated no refunds. I do require the items be sent back in original condition, with tags, unopened, as stated in my terms.

Still I am looking forward to getting established here on Ecrater and being a part of the Ecrater family! Attributes are difficult, so I have been slowly chipping away at my Google rejected listings. Hopefully, prayfully, things will get better. Thank you MoonwishesStore for your kind words! Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son is in town for the weekend which meant I got to see my little princess again. So far, I have seen her during the three trips they made here and she will be 13 months on Tuesday. But he sells on both Amazon and eBay and when I was telling him about something that I want to sell online he was telling me to go to eBay as he has pretty good success there. I asked him what he was doing about the new payment nonsense and he said he saw the email but didn't pay much attention to it. My DIL perked right up though as she hasn't heard word one about it. I don't like eBay. At one point when Meg was at her worst (I hadn't realized just how long she was CEO as I hadn't heard about her or cared) but they decided to put stores in the regular search. We store sellers on a different forum than the eBay one were loving it, making money hand over fist. It was like I was minting it in my basement. After 6 weeks it all came to a screeching halt with the LIE that buyers didn't like it. Of course, in eBay's usual style they didn't feel the need to PROVE it. During those 6 weeks, I made more money then than anytime before or since. At that point, my hate of eBay began.

Now, why would I want to pay, or even if I got a free listing, would I want to have buyers exposed to everyone else's products before my description? No way. I will list them here and wait for the 'slow dime/quarter'. I was doing some research n the products the other day, and I think I have to put them off until after the holidays. I was hoping to have them listed as it is something that some might need over the holidays, but I have so much that I need to get listed I can't spend hours on something when those same hours can return $100's from the listings.

I hope all goes well for you here.

edited to correct spelling errors.

Last edited by MoonwishesStore on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Central Avenue, sorry you've had such a run of bad luck. I've only had one return request total since I've been on eCRATER from 4 stores. The customer thought the canister was too small for their needs and wanted to return it for an exchange for a larger size. I explained it was a retro item of which he had bought the last one. I offered a full refund of the purchase price once he returned the item in the original condition in which it had been shipped. I also pointed him to my return policy that states the buyer must pay for return shipping. I got a nice email back that he was going to use it for Christmas Treats and continue looking for a larger canister.

I've heard the return rate is much higher for clothing. I haven't sold clothing in years, but I recently bought a few items that were "just too good to pass by". I remember from the past the importance of adding as many measurements as possible to give the buyer max info (and to protect me).

The great thing about eCRATER is you are allowed to have your own return policy without somebody else bending over backwards to enable scammers like some sites. Just make sure you have a well stated return policy in your terms. It wouldn't hurt to also have your return policy mentioned in your FAQs. If you ever plan to have an item that may differ from your basic return policies, be sure to state in your policy that some items may have special return requirements. Even though we have more freedom on eCrater, we still have to be aware that customers can still file chargebacks with their credit card companies, or file a complaint with PayPal. If you've covered everything in your description, terms, and FAQs, AND you haven't deleted the original listing you have some ammo to fight the chargeback. Remember, some credit card companies accept chargebacks up to 6 months.
centralavenue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SheilaDeesPostcards, It has been unusual to have this many returns--I do believe it's just bad luck or possibly the "newbie" effect. You brought up some excellent points. I must be more specific on my terms and faqs page. I am actually considering restocking fees on higher priced items to protect from scammers (items over $40 or more). I may do it to all listings just to curb the return rate for now-- at least buyers will give careful consideration to their purchases.

You are right about clothing. Some of the stuff I cannot add measurements on because of how its pre-packaged, but I will try to on tops and bottoms. I have been adding a few items per week. As you wisely mentioned, the more details, the less likely there will be returns on clothing.

I bought shoes last week online, and do not like them. I would lose almost $22 just to return them (for original shipping and to ship them back). But it is this online store's policy regarding purchases-- I must respect their terms and must abide it. It is important for buyers to read each store's policy regarding returns and purchases. I plan to sell the shoes! Wink

I just hope I will not get someone riled up because they did not get their way, and give me a black eye on my feedback. That will give me a bad start on Ecrater as I currently have zero. I have been indoctrinated by fear on Ebay, which offers no seller protection. I have had some many thieving people throughout the past several years on Ebay. One guy demanded a refund because he claimed a new item had a piece of tape seal lifted up in one area on a box (he flat lied anyway). It was preposterous! Mad

I made a mistake on my first return on Ecrater by deleting the original listing, just as you pointed out NOT to do. I did not know it would totally disappear if you delete the listing--I just assumed it would stay under "Orders". I learned through that mistake!

I do believe as a seller, there are just times you simply have to lose money. It is the cost of doing business. I am old school--I believe in trying to please customers, making sure the items are described adequately; but I am going to have to get tough about listings stating no returns. I cannot afford this at the rate it is occurring. I just hope I don't get some hateful person who might retaliate through feedback.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the buyers said why they wanted to return your items Central avenue? I took a quick look at your store and didn't think your inventory was such that I would return items.

I have had 2 returns and have been here almost since the site began. One was so obviously because the buyer wanted an evening bag for an occasion and returned it several weeks later saying it was too small. She didn't ask to return it. I've had other people attempt to return evening jewelry or evening bags same way and I've refused.

I did have a man in Australia who ordered some buttons, decided they were the wrong size so returned them and ordered same button different size. It was a lot of 5 buttons so he returned one button because he only needed 4. I hope he didn't lose one of the 4 because they were vintage buttons. Unlikely he would have found another replacement.
centralavenue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi theartsandlettersofmaggietheca,

Only one buyer said why for the return; she stated she order the wrong item. It was an audio cable so she probably did not check for compatibility. It was the same item returned by another guy--unopened and new. I stopped listing it after that! What are the mathematical odds of my first two sales out of nearly 600 items being the same identical item and the same two buyers requesting returns? Lightning indeed strikes twice, so I took the bloody thing down, so it would not strike three times. Shocked

The buyer this past week bought two sets of crew socks of all things! Who returns crew socks? Confused I told her if the tags are not missing, and the commercial packaging in tact, I would refund her.

I going to add to my spill, By purchasing this item you agree to our terms of service. My hand and arm has been ailing me, so I have been working very slowly on my Ecrater store. I have to update a lot of things, nor did I realize certain things about shipping. I need to make some critical adjustments.

I feel like you do--most of my items are new, not overly expensive, and diverse--why would these items even warrant returning? I have yet to put up vintage items at this point but I will in the future.

Thank you so much for sharing your insight!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@centralavenue, again welcome to the joys of selling on eCRATER where you create your own store policies. If your customer leaves unjustified feedback or feedback that has nothing to do with you, you can submit a request to the eCRATER team for feedback removal. You must be able to provide good information as to why the feedback is unjustified. They look at each request and they do remove feedback or change it to a neutral. For example, a customer leaves bad feedback that your shipping was terribly slow, but you have records from the USPS that you shipped the same day they ordered and the Priority package took the scenic route with 2 cross country trips before being delivered 2 weeks later. Another one I've seen is where the item is being sold for parts only AND they added parts only to the title & description. The description states the item does not work or the item has not been tested and the sale is for parts only. Then the buyer leaves a negative feedback that the item didn't work. Rolling Eyes Plus, we have the option of adding a comment to our feedback. Very Happy

Speaking of the headache of "delayed" clothing and accessory sales (ie. renting) there was a seller on eCrater who sold formal dresses. Returns were NOT accepted if tags were removed and this was clearly posted. They used their own store tag that was attached to a seam as a hang tag (one of those guns like retail stores use). If the dress had a center back seam, the tag was attached center back lower hip level. If someone wore it with the tag, it would look like a tail. I've laughed at the thought of the reaction of the potential renter when they received their order. Laughing Laughing

Another thing you can do is require a Return Authorization number for all returns. Returns without a RA# will not be eligible for a refund. I would think that would have to be included in both the item description and mentioned in your terms and FAQs.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One rule I have had in my TOS that others might not agree with is this:

Quote:
Items returned to us without contacting us first will not be acknowledged or refunded.

More than once without ever hearing from the buyer, I have gotten packages back with all items in it. NEVER has the buyer ever written to ask if I got it where is their refund. I try to have everything completely described, including the fact that over 7600 items that I have up for sale and I still occasionally get buyers upset because they thought they were getting a real garment. How about reading what you are buying. And then an actual clothing designer buys a pattern from me and insists that it was to be up to size 50 and that he had compared my two sets of sizes and the one went to size 50 for mean. Vogue doesn't make those sizes for men! I sent him every bit of proof and he STILL insisted I had sent him the wrong size. Then at the end of one email claiming he was right, he said something to the effect that he knew what to do. So far it hasn't been returned nor did he leave me a negative - which would be okay as it would be removed. Some folks will never admit that they are wrong and insist that the sun is green, and you can't convince them that it isn't.

I try to avoid refunds, but the big venues, Amazon and eBay love to give our money away!
centralavenue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have given me hope that things will get better! Very Happy

SheilaDeesPostcards, I had no idea we could add comments to our feedback! I love this!! When I see sellers get negative feedback on Ebay, and they respond back to the buyer's neg, it gives them more credibility in my opinion. It is great to hear that Ecrater will assess to see if a feedback is unjustified. Ebay simply could care less on such matters. Buyer and seller are expendable pawns in their game.

That is hilarious about the tag on the formal dresses! Laughing Surprise, dear buyer! I do fear renters when it comes to clothing, and I will be expressively stating "No Returns" on such items.

I will have to look into the possibility of doing RA#s. I got so much on my plate now and I will have to figure out how to go about it. For higher price items, I will allow returns so the buyer feels more secure with their purchase, however, I think I will impose a stocking fee. So far I have not put such items up, nor do I have many items that are pricey. Primarily it will be the vintage items, or possibly electronics.
centralavenue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore, I like your rule!! That sounds excellent to me. I need to commit plagiarism on that sentence!Smile

I got a small number sewing patterns--I am thinking I should specify this is only for a pattern in my listings. But you are so right, there are way too many buyers who simply do not read. It is truly frustrating. I once had a vintage, but new in packaging tassel making tool up for sale, and a lady asked me to make a how to use it video before she purchased it. I think that was my goofiest request of all time (yes, I would like to bust open the package to show you how to use a tool I have no clue about...).Rolling Eyes

I do not sell on Amazon, but I know on Ebay, it has been noted that some of the descriptions do not even show on certain listings--I think primarily because of apps but not sure why. Ebay as you stated certainly loves giving sellers money away. This is why I am leaving their swamp fields next year. When Ayden comes in 100% as processor, they will be yanking money out of sellers accounts left and right because of refunds and buyers making false claims. It is bad enough already.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are a sewer and understand sewing patterns (put me on ignore for a moment then) When you go to list, try to have a good clear, photo of the front and back of the envelope as well as the inside instructions of the line/technical drawings of the front and back of the garments. Take those photos on a scanner or something so you can get the details. Nothing I hate worse than seeing a pattern thrown down on the floor on the dirty carpet with the household clutter and a dog's snout showing in the background! I've seen this - NOT at all professional!!!

If cut, say so, and if only one or two pieces, name them. I got a not so good FB because someone said that only 3 pieces out of I think it was 19 were in the package. I would NEVER sell a pattern like that so I had to give a refund as I hadn't noted which pattern pieces were cut and missing. I generally never sell a cut sewing pattern, but in this instance, it was a rare high-value pattern, so the buyer ended up with the pattern as well as the money. Sad

Always make sure you tell what size you are selling. If it is a pre-cut pattern with all pieces there, say what size it is cut too. Some patterns, Vogue in particular at times have tow or three different garments in one envelope so that you have distinct pieces for each garment (no overlapping or needing to use pieces from the other garments pieces) I say that they are getting three patterns in one and if one is cut and not the others, explain that.

Many of the last 20 years Simplicity patterns do not have description, so you have to make one up. List the suggested fabrics.

Lots of stuff to think about and yet I ran into a pattern listing the other day that said Mccalls XXXX paper, white, blah blah. In the bullet is had a size range, and other than that, no photo, no description, no anything. I changed everything including the title. I have seen one seller spend a large amount of time mentioning each and every tiny flaw in the envelope and then not bother to say if it was cut or not and never mentioned the size. Obviously he was a bookseller that was used to telling about the dust jacket. But most sewers could care less about the envelope (although you should tell if it has problems) they want the details about what is inside.

Hope that was of help to you or any other pattern seller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: