eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Unusual transaction request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nothingnew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Unusual transaction request Reply with quote

So I received an email for an item I'm selling. The buyer requested if available. I said yes. It's a very pricey item so I am being extra cautious. I add pics and explain the socket issue should be replaced.. The buyer asks why am I selling it? so cheap? Can I take any less? I explain that's what I do. Then I request their zip code to get shipping to their destination to see if I can do better on the price. Their next email is this
Okay I will buy from you and I am making your payment by check, I pay and buy most items on here and make all payment by check without a problem.

I will take care of the shipping and the item won't be moved until you have the check cleared in your account, sounds good?
get back to me with detail regards to mail the payment to you

Full name:

Address:

Phone number:

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you actually take checks, don't go there. I don't know what the fee is these days, but depositing a check and waiting to clear it, you may find that you now owe the bank $30-40 for a check with insufficient funds.

People buy from me and pay only in the methods that I have predetermined.

You can either respond or not to this request, but I certainly wouldn't be giving out that info. Plus his statement that he will handle shipping. Is this item so big that you need it to be 'handled' by them?

This to me smacks of scam.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be completely ok, but it sure raises questions. The first thing I would do is talk to my bank to completely understand what could go wrong with a check. Some people think that once you deposit the check, it good. However, I would want to know from my bank how long it will take them to process the check to confirm there could be NO stop payment order issued by the buyer. I know "back in the day" banks could confirm with the other bank the availability of funds. And your bank should be able to tell you when the check has completely cleared the system so there is no problem with a NSF check.

Second point, who is responsible for packing the lamp for shipping? How do they plan on shipping? I would make sure they understand that your responsibility for the item ends when you turn the item over to the 3rd party for shipping.

It's still a judgement call. If the bank assures you the money is good and can not be taken back by the other bank, it may be safer than PayPal or credit card where they could have up to 6 months to come back on you.

Let us know how it turns out. I hope it goes well for you, the sale of a "very pricey item" in Dec. would be nice!
nothingnew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is a scam. New wording to old scam. This was their reply when I asked what they were talking about?

I will take care of the shipping, i have my shiper with another items
Quote:
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a scam. Slightly reworded since it started years ago. I don't know anyone who has followed through with it. They used to get quite nasty when you hedged. I wouldn't even respond.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: