eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

I just bought more of this, capocollo.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: I just bought more of this, capocollo. Reply with quote

We have a close-to-expired food store here and they had this

https://www.supermarketitaly.com/daniele-capocollo-hot-natural-casing-2-3-lbs/

It was cut and wrapped into roughly 1.8 pound halves at $1.99 per pound. !!! The first one was $2.69 and the ones I went back for were $3.54 and $3.79. I would never buy this stuff or even know where to buy it or afford it.

It's chewy and the hot part is mostly on the outside, not hot in the meat very much at all.
We have a meat slicer and I cut one up sort of thin slices, but it must be shaved very thin for my next two I just bought.

But I got to thinking, what if I cooked it, let me tell you it smells so good and cooks like bacon. The sell-by date is this month, last night I used our power air fryer oven elite, I put a slice of this under the skin on chicken thighs.

I used salt and pepper, very light poultry seasoning, and very light cajun and garlic and pepper on the bottom. I am telling you that chicken was so good, it wasn't over spiced at all and it cooks perfectly in that air fryer, crisp but not dry and the flavor was excellent.

They always have bacon wrapped chicken and other things, so I thought I would try this, and it worked out !!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Capocollo (Italian pronunciation: [kapoˈkɔllo]), coppa ([ˈkɔppa]), or capicola is a traditional Italian and Corsican pork cold cut (salume) made from the dry-cured muscle running from the neck to the fourth or fifth rib of the pork shoulder or neck.

I had this for the first time when I was married into an Italian family. I like it but only in small doses. You could probably freeze it to extend the 'shelf life'.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you need to learn/remember about some of those deli sausages is that they are fermented. and not cooked. I used to have access to a variety of those, and they were good, until I burned out, and moved on to something a little less annoying to my digestive system.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't all that cured stuff give you good bacteria, like sauerkraut and yogurt ?

When I slice the next one it will be as thin as I can get it, then go to Aldi's and get a cheese pizza and top it with this stuff.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it is always sliced very thinly at the deli. I can't imagine the fire in my belly trying to eat a thick slice of it! Since I have been on so many medications, spicy foods which I always loved I can hardly tolerate such as regular pepperoni and even taco sauce. I used to use the HOT sauce, now even the mild has gotten to be too much. Partly it is age I am sure, but also the meds. The only thing I can still eat and enjoy as normal is chocolate Very Happy Thankfully I have a nice stock of that for awhile.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This here is not hot, just the outer layer, it says it's hot but it's not.
After cutting it I took a bite off the end piece, and that stuff on the outside is very hot, but it didn't work it's way in at all.

Another use for chocolate is a chilly cook-off winner put a little bit in her chilly. I did it a couple of times but it didn't really do much, call it an additional spice not an ingredient, a slight change but not so much as to make it taste like chocolate LoL
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut thin this stuff is the most AWESOME bacon known to man as-in human, it's just so good.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: