eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Mysterious Seeds Arriving In The Mail From China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Mysterious Seeds Arriving In The Mail From China Reply with quote

This morning our local newpaper carried the below quoted article regarding mysterious seed packages arriving in the mail from China. I've copied the article without photos as a warning to my fellow eCRATERians.
I've found this newspaper to be factual and a believer in old-fashion journalism.

Quote:
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) is warning Floridians about unsolicited packages of seeds received through the mail.

The seed packets, which may arrive unexpectedly in packages bearing Chinese characters, may bear the name China Post, and may be labeled as jewelry, have been reported in multiple states including Alabama, Virginia, Kansas, Washington, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Utah.

As of Monday, FDACS has received at least 160 reports from Florida residents reporting having received suspicious seed packages. The content of the seed packages is unknown at this time.

“Plant seeds from unknown sources may introduce dangerous pathogens, diseases, or invasive species into Florida, putting agriculture and our state’s plant, animal, and human health at risk,” said Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried. “Anyone receiving these suspicious seed packets should not open them, should not plant them, should limit contact with them, and should report them immediately to both our department and USDA officials.”

Anyone receiving unsolicited seed packages from other countries should follow these directions:
- Do not open the seed packet and avoid opening outer packaging or mailing materials, if possible
- Do not plant the seeds or discard them in trash that will be landfilled
- Limit contact with the seed package until further guidance on handling, disposal, or collection is available from the USDA
- Report the seed package to the FDACS Division of Plant Industry at 1-888-397-1517 or DPIhelpline@FDACS.gov
- Report the seed package to the USDA APHIS Anti-Smuggling Hotline at 1-800-877-3835 or SITC.Mail@aphis.usda.gov

When reporting the seed package to FDACS and USDA/APHIS, please be prepared to provide one’s name, physical address, phone number, and email address for contact purposes.

The introduction of plant seeds into the United States is tightly regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Seeds of unknown origin may constitute agricultural smuggling, may be invasive, may introduce pathogens, toxins, or plant and animal diseases, may pose a risk of foodborne illness, and may pose a threat to plant, animal, and human health. FDACS is working closely to receive guidance from the USDA and its Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), the lead regulatory body on this issue, in consultation with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Chakracord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an article about unknown packages from China.
They mentioned about seeds and could be invasive.

That's all we need here is more invasive species.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my concerns was people simply throwing them in the trash so they wind up in the landfield and start growing.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a notice in my email this morning from USDA about this.

I am reminded of a scam a couple of years ago, having to do with mysterious packages arriving from Amazon, which were being (apparently) sent as gifts, in order to inflate someone's metrics on Amazon. A person I was close to at that time received such a package. The contents were junque and did not agree with what the shipping notice said.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never open a package that I was not expecting that came from China. I think even if you call the wrong department, they would be happy to help you out with communicating to the right one, but I would let someone else open the package. Like they already gave us COVID-19 now they want to destroy our food sources. Where is the shaking my head emoji?
pickychicky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to say they haven't been using those seed packages as a way to infect us with COVID?
flowerseeds

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story has been running wild on FB and I see a lot of people that decided to plant them anyway, since thus far only "harmless species" were identified.

The seeds may be coming from genetically modified plants (I.e Vegetable seeds) and maybe causing environmental or crop damage, which could be devastating for small farmers like us and in return your food supply. There are also issues with a chemical coating of the seeds that have yet to be analyzed.

The folks in china are doing some weird stuff lately
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese are too smart to be so obvious. More like a non Chinese person shipping from China. Too many things are being blamed on China recently.
flowerseeds

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are not. The worker bees are told what to do. That is how China works (at this time). There has been a US/China trade conflict going on, and it's a fact. It's possible that the workers there feel the income pressure, but considering the massive effort COUNTRY wide, I think is a targeted effort. Don't be naive.
Makes one wonder, what is in the next package?

But maybe you know more than a farmer.

- edited for grammar and some more that came to mind
centerofthewebb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right. I would not want to have some international stranger mailing stuff to my home gifting me free stuff. It's STUPID to just accept it.

Next package may be fentanyl/coated which makes you are an accessory second time around or it may be fatal.

Burn it. Send it back.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: terraform Reply with quote

botanical reterraforming could wipe out american plants. Do not plant the seeds, until you are certain what they are.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next package may be fentanyl/coated

Now that would be very expensive, especially as they could sell it to druggies here in the US so that they make money and also set people's brains on fire or be dead. I use Fentanyl and I know what it costs! We are talking in the 3 digits. I have heard of someone that wanted to get high and got dead instead by chewing on them and ended with too much in them. Personally I never get so much as a buzz from them, while I do get funky feeling if I forget to change my patch when I am supposed to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: