eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Attributes - Description Truncated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old-friends-media

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Google Attributes - Description Truncated Reply with quote

I didn't realize the product description was an "attribute" Google cared about, but two of my products received dings because my descriptions were too long. They have the "Truncation" issue, but fortunately, their status was unaffected.

Google advises "To avoid truncation, shorten the value to the maximum character amount".

Does anyone know what the character limit is for product Descriptions?
I never realized there was one.

Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
old-friends-media

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I found the answer in another topic:

For general information:
The current Product Data specification states that for the field of description, there is a max of 5000 characters.

Thanks ShielaDeesPostcards
pickychicky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. I've had a few come up with that, too, but I didn't bother messing with them since the listings weren't affected. The few that did were all DVDs that had multiple movies or shows on them that I included synopses for and I didn't want to remove that info. I've sold at least two of them already, so everything seems to be just fine. =)
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know what the character limit is for product Descriptions?
I never realized there was one.

This one of those areas where I mentally would tell Google to go fly a kite. They do not own our products, eCRATER is not their venue and until eCRATER tells me that a description is too long, I'm not going to change a listing just because Google wants it shorter. I've never had this happen to me as far as I know, but if I need that much space to have a proper description for a buyer to get all the info that they need I will. I get really tired of Google trying to tell us what to do with our stores and businesses. I never signed up to sell through them.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
This one of those areas where I mentally would tell Google to go fly a kite.

Hahaha! Knowing myself, it would come out of my mouth. LOL Do they limit their crawling to 5,000 characters for just stores or is this a Google-wide thing? If not, that's another no-no. You can't treat sites differently when it comes to content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: