eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Being harassed nonstop by non-paying buyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MustBeJewel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Being harassed nonstop by non-paying buyer Reply with quote

I had a buyer tonight who placed an order for a $4 item three separate times. So, three orders for the same thing. They did not send a payment.

I tried to explain through email that they need to pay in order to buy an item.

Since then, they have used the "message seller" option on eCRATER to completely blow up my inbox. It's been an hour of constant messages that are complete nonsense. They even sent ME a Paypal invoice!

Are there any protections out there for us sellers? I really need to block this person from being able to see my store at all at this point.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MrsDsHandKnits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I know no way of blocking a buyer/potential buyer on this site, I would report the user id to eCrater support and inquire as to how to block/suspend the user.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MustBeJewel, the only I can think of would be to use your email program to block messages from the person. You could check to see if your email program will block messages with a matching "reply to" address. All the messages are going to be from "noreply" which will also be the address for ALL "message seller" and orders.

I would let the eCRATER team know what is happening because this person may be doing the same thing to other sellers also. As far as eCrater blocking this buyer, it's a possibility that it isn't possible since buyer's don't have accounts on eCrater and don't have "user ID". Users are identified by name and email address, both of which could be changed by someone who wants to harass you.
MustBeJewel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the kind replies Smile

I did create a filter in my email program to block out both direct emails and emails containing the email address, and had some friends test the eCRATER message system for me to make sure I hadn't blocked ALL eCRATER messages. So far today, things seem quiet.

I also reported their invoice attempt to Paypal.

That's a really good point about buyers not having eCRATER accounts, I hadn't thought of that since I really only sell. I did just submit a help request though with the relevant info to let them know what's happening. I've been selling online for many, many years, I'd hate to be someone new at this and have to deal with the nonsense I did yesterday.

Thanks for all the advice! Wink
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your PP account set to PayPal Express Checkout? If so you shouldn't get any order notifications unless the item is paid for. Back when we would get a notice for every attempt to 'pay' and in the end, the customer never did manage to pay, I would send them an email explaining that the payment didn't go through (after double-checking that you didn't get a payment) and I also at the same time sent a PP invoice. If they paid, good, if they didn't, no need for further conversations.

This person sounds off their rocker, unfortunately.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new issue that seems to have arisen sometime this year, as it's happened to me twice, is when someone orders multiple items from multiple shops and they go to checkout, only the first seller gets paid while the rest just get unpaid orders. I've tried following up with those customers to no avail. It's a shame your customer actually wanted what wasn't paid for, but had to act like a loony tune. That's why I never make first contact with a customer until I've done everything I can to figure out what the issue is. That way, I have a solid answer for them, hopefully giving them less cause to react badly.

Unfortunately, those with existing mental health issues are having an especially difficult time coping these days and there are so many others developing such issues as a result of this year's chaos. So, even the littlest thing can set them off and it's really sad to witness. Having had to take so many calls from irate tenants when working as an office manager at a property management company, I have learned that it often helps taking into consideration that a person is just having a bad day and adjusting your approach to hopefully brighten it again. Making it about them rather than about yourself tends to grab their attention better. Of course, that's easier to do with my "secretary's voice" where the other person can hear genuine tone; something we don't have the luxury of in the written word, but it's not impossible. =)
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago eCRATER blocked a buyer who was sending me threatening and lewd messages. Ruby Lane also blocked a buyer who was buying tons and never paying. She did this to many people. Years later she did the same thing here and even made up the same story. I recognized her immediately but she paid with a cc via PP and they passed her so I mailed the order to her. It was a large order and it didn't come back.

You have to accept that the internet is available to everyone including crazies, children, and the senile. Don't take it personally and of course don't ever ship an unpaid order. I don't take anything for payment except PP and Stripe.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Moon. Set up PPX (Paypal Express) and you'll filter out 95% of the problems and weirdos like obvious idiot payments and "can you hold til next Tuesday 'til I get paid?" You'll never hear from them again. You're a business not a layaway. eCrater doesn't allow that anyway. Don't hold for customers, or if you do, just 24 hours (or maybe a weekend if you're nice). If someone harrasses you, report them to your email provider and eCrater.

Case in point, just got one attempt. Sent the customary reply and got back a failed email attempt. Not even. Guess maybe somebody read my post and got their widdle feewings hurt. Aw. Loser.
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. Set up the PayPal Express. The issue drops to people testing the site or multiple orders when there is a glitch.

eCrater Math 101
Formulas to remember:

1) Only an Order = Only an Order = Not to worry = Contact/Send Invoice

2) Payment = Receive Money

3) Successful/complete sale = Order + Payment
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Being harassed nonstop by non-paying buyer Reply with quote

MustBeJewel wrote:
I really need to block this person from being able to see my store at all at this point.

If your email is provided by gmail, you can set up a filter that will route all message from this buyer directly to the Trash. Take much care in the parameters, else it route unintended stuff as well.

Do you require payment with order ? If not, that is one sure way to make them go away. However, even if you do require payment, you can still receive a non-paid order because of an issue I have mentioned for several months now, that being a multi-seller order, where they do not pay all the sellers.

Good luck.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MustBeJewel, was the attempt at purchase from PayPal or Stripe? Although, it really does not matter. Contact the funds processor and file the buyer as - attempting possible fraud.

THIS NEW YEAR IS GONNA BE BETTER
PaperbackPunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was a way to block being bunched up into a buyer's multiple purchases from different stores into 1 combined paypal invoice here, but I searched admin. payment settings and also checked on paypal ...
I realized that was a feature from another site.

If that site can implement it, so can ecrater.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: