eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Using the custom domain option. I need someone to help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndroidRetailWorld

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Using the custom domain option. I need someone to help. Reply with quote

I own my domain but would like to make sure that I do everything by the book. I have GoDaddy as my domain registrar and previously never had a problem getting a domain, then setting up a store on a marketplace (any marketplace) and using domain forwarding with masking. But this time around my domain is on a server that has an invalid certificate and many people have told me they can't get to my domain unless the full URL secured (https://) is typed. I have asked three times and they say they will honor my request to be moved over to another server and IP address, but the only thing they did was switch to a different nameserver, which isn't the same. I asked them if they could simply update to a valid certificate and they have yet to do so and my web monitoring service says my domain has been down 47 times while eCrater has only been down twice and this is since June. I want to make sure ALL my entries on the DNS management dashboard over at GoDaddy are technically correct so I can have my domain name finally as it should be...
AndroidRetailWorld.com. Is there anyone out there who can give me a hand? I just paid the fees yesterday and am anxious to get it going. Thanks in advance...
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know at one time you couldn't use masking. This FAQ might help.
eCRATER.com Forum Index -> FAQs and Solutions > Solutions to Common Questions - Domain Name Mask or Forward
https://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=9051
I wasn't sure from your question whom you were asking, eCrater or GoDaddy. When you say you "paid the fees yesterday", do you mean you paid eCrater to use your custom domain? As far as the "invalid certificate", the last I checked all custom domains on eCrater are reported as "Connection is not secure". At the point a buyer goes to checkout, the system switches to https://yourstorename.ecrater.com for checkout which is a secure system. Unless there has been a change very recently, the only way you get SSL protection for your entire store (all links to individual pages) is to use the www.yourstorename.ecrater.com url for your store.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila is correct in that your domain will not be secure. According to an IONOS rep (formerly 1&1), you can't use an individually owned SSL certificate for a domain that's being attached to a server outside of your domain provider's. So, eCrater would have to extend their SSL certificate to cover our custom domains.

Without having secured pages, visitors will get the security warning page when visiting your custom domain. So, I have quit linking to mine and plan to stop using it here or just use it as a redirect, but you can't track a redirect. So, the G code for the custom domain is useless to me at this point.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: