eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Packing & Presentation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Packing & Presentation Reply with quote

Fellow sellers:

It is very important to understand the concepts of Packing & Presentation. Both can gave you extra points with the buyers, protect items during shipping, and save money. For Packing the idea is protect the items showing the idea that something can happen during the travel. It is not needed to go extreme or just throw packing supplies in the box. For Presentation is important how item look and show the care during packing.

Last December, I bought some items in eBay. One of the items was a mat controller for PS2. I bought from 2 different sellers to have two mats. Also each mat have a different video games from Dance Dance Revolution.

The 1rst case to items arrived very well package in the box. But the mat and the game box were dirty. More dirty that I saw in the photos. It just took me like 5 minutes to clean.
Packing: Ok
Presentation: Bad

The 2nd case, the items took longer to arrive because it was in a big box. So you know the issue with USPS and the pandemic. The box got a lot of damage during shipping. I opened the box to find the items (mat & game) to the bottom of the box with a lot of packing paper over it, 2 folded USPS Flat Rate Boxes, and 1 folded eBay box. So you get the idea. The items were not protected in the center, neither box in a box. But the items were clean.
Packing: Bad
Presentation: Bad
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so correct. I switched over to plastic envelopes several years back and reduced my packing supplies storage by a great deal. I get PINK envelopes and put a thankyou note sticker on the flap. Because I am sending to crafty folks this would appeal to them, instead of just another kraft envelope. One of my feedbacks was a glowing one about how pretty the package was! I have found that MIA packages seem to be found quickly especially since I suspect that the pink envelope grabs the mail carrier's eye and they remember it. I've only had one that got destroyed in transit that I know of, and I think the pattern itself was okay. I also use printed postage labels so they have their address as well as mine. I still remember buying some patterns on eBay years ago. One came without a packing slip and a hand-scrawled address but no return address. I had to figure out who sent it to me. A 100% FB seller sent me patterns with a lot of water damage and MOLD on them. When I complained She said she had sent me the wrong patterns. I told her to please check the order to be sure that they didn't have water damage or mold and she claimed she never had sent anything like that out. So she sends me the 'right' batch -- including water damaged patterns and those with black MOLD. Both times with the moldy ones, we sent them immediately to the trash in my husband's workshop as I didn't want that mold to affect the other paper in the office. The lady did not get a 5-star from me!
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore, the pink envelopes are a good idea. In special with communications with the buyers.

I have a lot of family members buying online. They do not care too much of the items until the day to give it is near. Last example, my sister in law was searching for days for an envelope. She did not remember it in specific. So imagine when she call if you see the envelope. Rolling Eyes
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really helps and someone on the Amazon forum does the same thing only I think that she uses blue or aqua ones. I had never thought of using plastic envelopes till I had to go to the PO and saw them taking in a plastic bag as a package and I remembered the plastic bag packages I have gotten. So it was an easy switch. MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the bubble mailers and I can keep just about ALL by packing envelopes in an ottoman under my desk. Prior to using them, The whole downstairs shower was filled with boxes of envelopes and one box was 100 envelopes. This past year I have been going over 200 orders a month so I would have had to have so many more packing supplies. Of the regular envelopes that I normally use, the package of them is 12" long (including the flap) and about an inch thick. Smile I haven't had trouble with them except once or twice and even the bubble envelopes could get damaged.
pickychicky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to pose a question to my fellow sellers, if I may? It's something I've been pondering since I started using bubble envelopes for DVD's and CD's. Of course, I always use a box if there's more than one item (or a box-set) to ship, but I just use bubble envelopes for singles. Since I ship them First-Class rather than Media Mail, they are definitely more economical, but I have had a couple of customers request sturdier packaging. Although, both of those items were double CD sets, so I would have sent them in boxes even if they hadn't requested them. (I use book boxes with Kraft paper for padding, which keeps it at FC rates, at least for CDs.)

So, as a customer, how would you feel about receiving a single CD or DVD in a bubble envelope? Do you feel a CD or DVD-box would provide more protection than a bubble envelope?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have no trouble with a single in their jewel case. Although the jewel case can get broken. I finally got to the point that I ignore customers that want to specify to me how to package something. I have had them tell me to do this, then this, then this, and on they would go. Both of us want the item to arrive safe and sound and I don't think in all these years, I've ever had someone claim their item had been damaged. But I have received enough packages that were damaged to know the types of sellers that they were fighting against. If you told them that something barely got to you, they would say no one else complains and then ignore your complaint instead of at least apologizing. I might try saving up boxes and cutting the cardboard down to sandwich it on both sides of the CD for extra protection.
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As buyer, it depends. If I buy a CD or DVD with a classic transparent plastic case or jewel case. I prefer to see a box and CD/DVD wrap in bubbles.

If the CD/DVD is in this plastic black cases. The bubble envelope is enough.

Either method. CD/DVD can broke if during transit they get out of the hold fixture.
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tip3py1 sells CDs/DVDs. It will be nice to know how 2tip3py1 package those items.
PaperbackPunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickychicky wrote:
I'd like to pose a question to my fellow sellers, if I may? It's something I've been pondering since I started using bubble envelopes for DVD's and CD's. Of course, I always use a box if there's more than one item (or a box-set) to ship, but I just use bubble envelopes for singles. Since I ship them First-Class rather than Media Mail, they are definitely more economical, but I have had a couple of customers request sturdier packaging. Although, both of those items were double CD sets, so I would have sent them in boxes even if they hadn't requested them. (I use book boxes with Kraft paper for padding, which keeps it at FC rates, at least for CDs.)

So, as a customer, how would you feel about receiving a single CD or DVD in a bubble envelope? Do you feel a CD or DVD-box would provide more protection than a bubble envelope?

A single oversized piece of cardboard taped against just the front side of the cd case will do wonders to protect it in the bubble mailer. I have received many broken cd cases, and it is always a broken hinge or cracked front of the case with nothing more than bubbles to protect it, or Amazon's ridiculous method of putting a cd in a big box with one inflated pouch. Ruined case every time.. ugh.

Many years ago we did experiments with packaging items, then throwing the boxes around for a few days to see what transpired. It was not pretty.

The sellers who package carefully get our repeat business. Others do not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: