eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Considering closing store-ideas to sell bulk inventory?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lepetitmarche

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Considering closing store-ideas to sell bulk inventory? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As much fun as it's been I think I want to close my store. I want my condo back! I have between 400 - 500 items (not all are listed on the store) plus tons of boxes and packing materials. I have tried craigslist awhile back and ran into a mess of a scam but got out of it unscathed, so I'm leary of trying that again. I've also considered the 'nextdoor' neighborhood venue. If I need to sell in small chunks that is fine. I'd just like to have my condo cleaned out by end of July. This is my store: lepetitmarche.ecrater.com. If anyone has any ideas where I can maybe sell in chunks or bulk I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks for your input!
Le Petit Marche
-Nadine
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are web sites that will auction everything off for you. Don't know if you'll make anything, or what's involved, but they're out there. Just have to google them and make a choice.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Considering closing store-ideas to sell bulk inventory? Reply with quote

lepetitmarche wrote:
tried craigslist awhile back and ran into a mess of a scam

Might be worthwhile trying CL again. I've been selling on that platform since 2005...everythingfrom earrings to vintage cars. Always meet at a public place in dayight...accept only cash. Have never had any problem. Met lotsa people who became good customers

lepetitmarche wrote:
If anyone has any ideas where I can maybe sell in chunks or bulk I'd be most appreciative!

Depending on where you're located, there may be smaller local auction houses with a reasonable commission (that is, not a Sotheby's type place). We've used 2 different houses in my area to sell large furnishings. Worked out very well. Do you have nything like that near you? Also, are there any regular flea markets or collectibles malls where you can rent a table per day or work with a dealer who will split the proceeds with you?

As for packing material, I got rid of garbage bags full of foam peanuts and bubble wrap scraps at a local packaging store...and at a local thrift store.As for excess boxes, all went to recycling
lepetitmarche

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input! We have a year round flea market not really near me but it may be worth checking out for a summer sale. And I may try CL again, I've just recently sold a lot of books that way. In the end if I really want to be cleaned out (or mostly) by July I'll just make large donations to goodwill and salvation army and take the tax credit, at least I get a little something off my taxes. Thanks again for the ideas!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did an internet search for your city, state antique malls and got lots of hits. In my area, that's a booming business and the term "antique" is used very loosely. You might want to check out a few of them and make contact with the owner or manager. Have a card with your phone number so they could have individual dealers contact you, or check out the individual dealers who you think might be interested in your items and leave a message for them.

Around here, you would get lots of activity from that approach. Just realize you are going to be selling wholesale and remember it's more money in hand than a donation for a tax deduction.

Also, you might want to consider a booth yourself for a short time. Price everything at your retail then put it on sale for a lower price. Other dealers are going to cherry pick really quickly. After a month, you can lower your price until you are tired of the idea and donate the balance.

I had a booth locally for years. When I got tired of the booth, I brought home everything I wanted to keep for online and dropped the price of everything else every two weeks for about 2 months. I had several dealers approach me and created a "lot" for one money which I loved.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying for 2 years to liquidate about 5000 items spread over 5 stores here on eCRATER. I marked everything down 50% and the only things that sell are the under $5 items. My most successful has been advertising by category on Craigslist. That came to a screeching halt a year ago with the advent of Covid. I also listed a lot of individual items and they don't move unless they are technical or appliance etc. If you are desperate to clear out to the point of giving it away, CL is great. People will come pick up stuff within a couple of days.

I have looked into Max Sells. At the time you had to have Apple technology which I didn't have and still don't or else they would come in and do it for you but now that we have a pandemic they won't come inside so it is all seller controlled. That is actually best because the auctions they create don't do very well because they lump a lot of junk in with one or two good things so you get rid of the junk and give away the good stuff.

I did sell a ton of scarves to a couple of buyers but they don't take up much space. I really want to move the breakables and handbags.

My options are limited due to physical mobility problems. I can't pack up and carry boxes of stuff around. You can't ask people to help due to Covid.

I'm actually thinking of raising my prices a bit. people might think my stuff is crap because the prices are so low.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make 40 or 50 - 10 item bundles, take 10 0r 12 pictures of each, post them on auction now with eBay. Be sure to charge enough freight to cover shipping. Start the minimum bidding (whatever you want). If nothing happens lower the starting bid, until you get a bite.

I have sold tons of stuff on ((auction now no reserve)). I always lose on that site, but the stuff is gone, I've sold cars, boats, boxes of old cloths, you name it - all kinds of stuff. It works at moving stuff from my garage to someone else's garage.

I just hate recommending eBay, but it works - fast

Last edited by 2tip3py1 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
lepetitmarche

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great ideas! And I hadn't thought of ebay in quite awhile. I used to sell there (I wonder if I still have an account? I'll need to check). Like you "live andlovesofmaggie the cat", I can't cart stuff around a lot. It's bad enough I live on a 2nd floor condo, 16 stairs up and down... garage is detached, have to walk across the parking lot to get to it. That's why I kept everything in my condo, so it would be easier to get at whatever it was I sold.

I also like the booth idea. I may try that. Lots of ideas floating in my head now from everyone's input.

Thanks again!
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lived closer I'd have been interested in the packing material. I've been "hoarding" boxes since the pandemic hit, using up what's here before braving going out on a search. Plus, there's gonna be a time pretty soon I'll need them mostly to be gone and return things to a "clean house" state. I've enjoyed the solitude, but the clock is ticking.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I ordered a bunch of smallish boxes thinking positively that I might sell something breakable that required a box. No sales of anything until yesterday when I sold 2 little cat figurines. At least I have a box for them. I've never tried to sell on FB. There is a link to my ecrater stores but to my knowledge I've never had a sale because of it although according to FB I get a lot of likes and looks.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in a community with quite a bit of traffic, you can try just putting it out right before or after (depending how fast you want gone) trash pickup day. You could post a "free" sign to make it perfectly clear, but where I used to live it didn't matter. Like a pack of wild buzzards they would pick the bones clean by end of the day, especially near end of week (garage sale shoppers). Leaving at the end of a driveway is kind of the international call sign for "come get me I'm yours" anyway lol.

Oh and yeah if you do get to that point of just giving it away to make room (been there) you can post an add at.CL or Freecycle to widen your audience. Buzzards migrate for free stuff. Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: