eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Returning seller, hello to all!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you solved that mystery! Computers can do whacky things as can whatever internet things you use such as Chrome, Explorer, and the rest. And while some of those makes things goofy for a while, they can then turn around and stop blocking whatever they had been blocking. It is weird. Back in the days when we used typewriters, it didn't matter which brand we used the results all were the same! Very Happy Although something typed on an IBM Selectric looked so much better than something typed on my Tiny Smith Corona manual typewriter which as bad as it was helped me earn my way through college where all papers had to be typed and none of the guys knew how to type!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
Glad you solved that mystery! Computers can do whacky things as can whatever internet things you use such as Chrome, Explorer, and the rest. And while some of those makes things goofy for a while, they can then turn around and stop blocking whatever they had been blocking. It is weird. Back in the days when we used typewriters, it didn't matter which brand we used the results all were the same! Very Happy Although something typed on an IBM Selectric looked so much better than something typed on my Tiny Smith Corona manual typewriter which as bad as it was helped me earn my way through college where all papers had to be typed and none of the guys knew how to type!

LOL, I remember the days of the Selectrics, they were the height of typewriter technology for sure. Do you still have the Smith Corona manual? I think you can get some pretty good money for those if they're in working condition. I haven't checked lately, but I used to see some awesome prices for older manual typewriters on ebay.

Anyway, I alerted the e-crater team to ignore my email regarding the matrix, as the problem was on my end. Got a nice response back thanking me for letting them know. I saw your response in the other thread, very smart of you to lock the thread and leave it there, because you're right, you never know if it will help someone else. So far I've filled out the matrix for US Mainland and Alaska, still have to do Hawaii, Canada and UK, but for now that should handle the danger in case someone buys something. I was starting to get nervous that someone might make a purchase and I'd get stuck with shipping costs on a heavier item. First time in my life I hoped I WOULDN'T get a sale. Smile
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PastLane and welcome back to eCRATER. I followed the conversation both here and your topic in the Help section regarding your problem with the matrix. Glad you discovered the problem with the monitor & your laptop.

I wanted to comment on a statement you made in the other topic. You said, "Depending on the item, I have shipping set to free, flat rate and calculated." You may have some unexpected results. When you turn on Calculated shipping, it is primary for ALL items. The checkout sees Calculated and proceeds with that shipping. There is a work-around that can be used to force Free Shipping or flat rate shipping for a single item. If you enter the weight as 0.00 the system will try the calculated shipping, see the 0.00 weight, then check the item page for free shipping or a flat rate. To the customer, it will still say Calculated shipping with the link to check. When they click the link, they will see the shipping is $0.00 (for free shipping) or the amount you entered for a flat rate. This would work well for your Walnut Library Table. Currently a buyer could purchase the table and select USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat-Rate Box for $15.50. I don't think that is the result you wanted.

This brings up another point about shipping, your selected Calculated shipping options will be shown for every item EXCEPT First Class. First Class will only be offered when the total weight is 13 ozs or less. If the item weighs 14 ozs, the customer will not be offered First Class because the customer is charged at the retail rate and there is no retail rate over 13oz. . (if you have an item that weights 14 ozs and you want to offer First Class, simply enter the weight as 13oz. The USPS Commercial rate for 13oz is the same for 13 - 15.99 oz.) I would not recommend offering Priority Flat Rate unless EVERY item in your store can be shipped in the Flat Rate Box. Otherwise, only offer Priority Mail; you can still ship using any of the Priority Mail Flat Rates or Regional Priority Mail boxes because they are all Priority Mail.

One final point I noticed while browsing your store. You state your prices are for continental United States and buyers from HI and AK must email for shipping. When you use Calculated shipping, the amounts are provided for all 50 states. Sadly, the checkout system does not include the US protectorates or US territories unless you enter them as foreign countries. The Terms of Service for eCrater says, "Shipping must be set-up in the store to all locations that are selected in the shipping zones. It is not allowed to request shipping or additional costs after an order has been placed. The buyer should have the full cost upon checkout."

Hope some of this will be helpful. If you have any other questions about the shipping, I'll be happy to try and answer.

By the way, there is still a market for IBM Selectric Typewriters in good condition. They are selling in the $500 to $600 range. Somebody is still typing. Laughing
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDee! I remember you, great to hear from you. It's getting to be like old home week around here, lol. I swear, you folks really keep these forums alive. I hope to be able to help others, too, once I'm grooved back in.

Really appreciate the information and will get back to you at greater length, hopefully after I've corrected the listings according to the information you've given. The shipping on the library table is driving me buggy, since I'm using calculated shipping for that one with a weight of 18 pounds entered. I don't have flat rate shipping checked or entered. So that's another nice little mystery for me to solve, but maybe I just need to complete the matrix, we'll see. However, all your info is going to help me put the final touches on everything.

LOL on the Selectric typewriters. They really were the bomb back in the day. I remember having to learn to use them when I had a summer job as an administrative assistant (that's when they started phasing out the word "secretary", and the term "personnel" became "human resources", geez.) Just wait until the hard core AI comes online. I wonder if it will reduce my social credit score if I make rude comments to AIs. Laughing

Is El Pereles still around?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took typing in high school on a Selectric. I loved those babies. I never had a manual for for my manual S/C typewriter. I don't know where we even got it from as it was old and used when I started using it. One of those Turquoise ones. In mid 1970s dollars it made me a lot of money. Most new college students I suspect would look at a person with a strange expression on their face if they wanted you to type something for them. Like they don't know how to use their own computer? I think I got $1/page.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I took typing in high school on a Selectric. I loved those babies. I never had a manual for for my manual S/C typewriter. I don't know where we even got it from as it was old and used when I started using it. One of those Turquoise ones. In mid 1970s dollars it made me a lot of money. Most new college students I suspect would look at a person with a strange expression on their face if they wanted you to type something for them. Like they don't know how to use their own computer? I think I got $1/page.

OMG, Moonwishes, one of the Turquoise ones? I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Now, did it have one key that wouldn't make an impression? No self-respecting vintage manual Smith Corona typewriter would be complete without that ONE KEY that didn't function. Laughing

Are we allowed to post videos here? If not, you can scold me later, because I've GOT to post this one, it's two young men trying to figure out how to dial a rotary phone. Have you seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the video and had a good laugh over this comment, "Hilarious now ask them to memorize their entire contact list." Laughing

Regarding shipping, here's a link to a How To article I wrote to help explain the eCRATER shipping system. I went over it earlier today to update a little of the information. Maybe it will make the system a little clearer.

http://SheilaDeesTreasures.com/Understanding_eCRATER_Shipping.pdf%20

edited to correct link -- having a problem with the link. Will continue working.

Last edited by SheilaDeesPostcards on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:15 am; edited 5 times in total
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila D, The link has failed. Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my mistake! link is now corrected.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Loved the video and had a good laugh over this comment, "Hilarious now ask them to memorize their entire contact list." Laughing

Regarding shipping, here's a link to a How To article I wrote to help explain the eCRATER shipping system. I went over it earlier today to update a little of the information. Maybe it will make the system a little clearer.

http://SheilaDeesTreasures.com/Understanding_eCRATER_Shipping.pdf

edited to correct link

Reminded me of myself trying to figure out the shipping matrix. And I'll bet they do know their entire contact list. When I was little, learning to make a phone call was job #1, and believe me, I caught on fast!! (Hmm, I think rotary phones with bakelite casing are another good seller, if you can find one in decent condition)

Sheila, thanks for providing the update. I won't be able to get around to it until tomorrow because of a project I have to complete today, but I am grateful for any help I can get. I have a feeling I'll be able to get this straightened out over the next couple of days. I really appreciate the help.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've reached my maximum level of frustration. It seems I've forgotten how to add a PDF file to a web page. If anyone would like a copy of the PDF file on shipping, just send me a pm with your email address and I'll send it as an email attachment.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys were such idiots. The one was pressing down so hard on the 'buttons' that it just about made my fingers hurt. Then they tried to move the silver thing. I've seen a video like this before but I think 4 kids including some girls and of course the boys kept pushing them aside saying they had figured it out! One of the big reasons that gender-neutral will never work as boys will be boys and girls will be girls. LOL

When I was a teenager we were limited to ten minutes on the phone at a time. So either my boyfriend or my sister's boyfriend would call, and the guys caught on pretty quickly as to how soon to call to get through. We could keep that phone busy just about all night long (until bedtime of course)! We were obeying the rule but not the spirit of the rule which was not to hog the phone so that others could get through.

It is hard to believe all the advances over my lifetime. One of my favorite authors was Robert Heinlein. He foretold the microwave, the waterbed, the cellphone ( kid had one in his backpack while horse-riding on a break from learning how to pilot rockets). Credit cards were a huge thing and Mastercard must have just come out as he called them that and the machines sure knew what to do if they got a bad one. Oh and the passion for lottery tickets and then California was a totally liberal state and all new babies had a high school diploma conferred on them at birth to make things fair.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it!
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I went silent, moonwishes, I had some minor surgery and am just now finally getting over it, lol. I liked Heinlein, too, what a writer!

Lol about the phone. I'll never forget when they came out with call waiting, that was like a miracle at the time.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry I went silent, " No need to apologize. Life happens and the older we are the more it affects us. Right before I went online it dawned on me that I have two doctor appointments this week - an injection in my back and then my long IV infusion, I realized that most of next week will be lost to recuperating. I have a friend that since I started getting the IV infusions has been taking me, every 6 weeks for years! This will be her 3rd-4th time having to bow out and she was so apologetic. After those infusion I have this great urge while driving done the interstate home to close my eyes and take a micro nap while driving 65 miles an hour. Embarassed I am so glad for the times she has taken me as her husband is terminally ill. She is the epitome of, if you need something done, ask a busy person. For both of us, it is a day out with lunch and sometimes shopping. Girl stuff! Anyways, I will most likely be a bit silent myself this week.

"By the way, there is still a market for IBM Selectric Typewriters in good condition. They are selling in the $500 to $600 range. Somebody is still typing. Laughing"

I wish I had a typewriter (actually we do have very vintage non-working ones as decoration) for one reason only. Every year since I pay my cleaning lady over $600/year I have to give her a 1099 MISC which has of this past tax season is now a 1099 NEC. You can't fill it out online. So I have to write all the info on it, going through 6? copies. I can barely do it. This year I didn't know about the form change, so I ended up between buying the forms and shipping, paying Staples about $50 so I could make one and send the IRS their copies. Every year I order they ahead of time and then by the next year, I can't remember where I put them so they wouldn't get lost! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Of course, they are always lost. ARGH!

Yippee my son just showed up! A new face to see.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So great to have a friend like that, Moonwishes. I am sorry that her husband is terminally ill. Please be careful if you are planning on driving yourself. And you have my best wishes for a speedy recuperation.

I think I saw an old Selectric at the junk shop that I'm addicted to. I saw it in passing on my way out the door, will go back and see if it is still there. It looked as if it was missing a couple of lever casings. They wanted $10.00 for it, but I'll bet someone snapped it up already.

Good luck with your appointments! Please stay safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: