eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Is there anything I can do about a non payer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJCOLLECTIBLES

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Is there anything I can do about a non payer Reply with quote

Hi I am new here at Ecrater. So far I love it. I have one question though. I had guy place order on 31st invoice said was going to pay by personal check. I emailed him thanking him for order and that I saw that he was paying with personal check and that I would process his order as soon payment was recieved. Didnt here anything back I waited 5 days and emailed him back nofiy him I never got his check. Is there anything else I can do he never responded.

Lisa A
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buyer is not a buyer until payment is received. You made the contact, the ball is in his court, so to speak. If 14 days after the sale, you have no contact or check.
We would consider it them a non-paying buyer and put the item up for sale again and the whole issue behind us.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's frustrating getting those kinds, but not much you can do. Shoot, I give 'em 48 hours to contact me, after that, it's a nonsale and I just delete the order.

Always keep the email address, though, saved in a folder for future newsletters. Sometimes things happen, like hospital visits and other stuff, the nonbuyer may become a true buyer in the future.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-paying bidders are just part of selling on line. The worst thing they do is waste your time. I have 2 right now but they are the first in several months.

I always look at it like this--it's better than having a brick and mortar store and having to deal with theives and shop lifters.
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: ON LINE SHOPPERS NON PAYMENT AGENCY Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had a non payer who decided to pay after receiving a very nice email from me which outlined the possible results, that in future even if offering a genuine credit card on line sellers may refuse to accept his orders and possible problems with future credit applications, if I reported him to the,

'ON LINE SHOPPERS NON PAYMENT AGENCY'

It worked for me Twisted Evil
ALikelyStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but unless the buyer purchased the item from you on eBay, they are under no obligation to complete the transaction legally, or otherwise.

If you are buying something in a brick and mortar store, you are free to cancel the purchase even after it has been rung up. This happens all the time when customers find that the total is more than they anticipated, or they thought an item was on sale and it isn't. When asked to, the cashier will void the sale, or cancel some of the items without a peep.

Additionally, online stores like Amazon and Barnes and Noble will cancel a sale when requested (if it hasn't shipped).

To email the the buyers and try to insist they follow through on a sale when they've changed their mind is unprofessional.
ALikelyStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further clarify, the only reason eBay has this policy is that they started out as an auction only site. Auctions are indeed legally binding. But during the course of making a standard purchase in a store, internet or otherwise, until the customer has paid, it's just a potential sale and nothing more.

Even a store that has a no return policy would not be able to apply it until the customer has paid for the merchandise.

Edited for spelling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Time Wasters Reply with quote

Our time as sellers is valuable.

Those who are not genuine buyers who do not even reply to you after they have placed an order show no consideration or value of your time.

If I had a bricks and mortar shop and a buyer came in and wasted my time with not even a polite word or any consideration I would not let them visit my shop again. Not sure about the law in the US but in the Ukraine a shop owner has the right to refuse to sell to anyone he does not wish too.
ALikelyStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have whatever policy you want about who can shop in your store. What you should not do is email them and imply that you can file a complaint when you cannot. They are free to abandon their shopping cart and there is no penalty to their credit rating or otherwise.

It is the stated goal of some ecrater sellers to have ecrater become a marketplace, much as eBay is, not just a site to host their stores. To come and have customers browse ecrater, as opposed to finding their way to individual stores through internet searches.

If that should happen, then sellers will find themselves lumped together very much as we are on eBay. I bought something on eBay, and the seller was rude you hear people say, not I bought something at such-and-such a store on eBay but on eBay.

So, what each seller does could reflect on us all and I am concerned when I hear that sellers are being rude to customers. And I'm very troubled by sellers who don't know what they can legally hold the buyers to. You cannot legally force payment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: THIS IS NOT EBAY Reply with quote

THIS IS NOT EBAY.

I do not know where you get the idea that ecrater members want ecrater to become like an ebay marketplace

Quote:
It is the stated goal of some ecrater sellers to have ecrater become a marketplace, much as eBay is

You will find the majority of ecrater store owners want nothing to do with efee and those that still use efee are trying to get away from it.

If ecrater becomes an ebay paypal clone marketplace, my six stores and the future stores I already plan to open will all close.

As for time waster buyers who show no consideration for our time, I happy to name and shame them. Just as we have an official place here at ecrater to name and shame those who spam and those who open rogue stores.

Haven forbid ecrater becomes like efee and sidekick paypal where sellers have to pay to be treated badly Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ALikelyStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: ON LINE SHOPPERS NON PAYMENT AGENCY Reply with quote

I didn't say that anyone wants this site to become eBay, I said that some sellers want this to become a shopping destination the way eBay is. If it makes you fell better, substitute "Amazon" for "eBay".

But you are sidestepping the main issue. you said:

my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine wrote:
Hi,

I have had a non payer who decided to pay after receiving a very nice email from me which outlined the possible results, that in future even if offering a genuine credit card on line sellers may refuse to accept his orders and possible problems with future credit applications, if I reported him to the,

'ON LINE SHOPPERS NON PAYMENT AGENCY'

It worked for me Twisted Evil

There is no such agency. You cannot report someone for not following through on a sale, as they are within their rights. You should not be doing this or recommending that other sellers do this. Frankly, it's a very eBay thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Nothing more to say Reply with quote

As I see it, you and I have very different ideas on selling.

You see efee as a good example marketplace and that buyers are well within their rights to waste the time of sellers, without showing consideration or good manners.

I believe that genuine buyers who make a mistake write and tell sellers who understand and thank them for their time. Or at least I do. Time wasters should be named and shamed in my opinion and I happy to report them and their actions anywhere that I can.

I will not enter any further comment in this thread as an attack of 'English Good Manners' has set in and I have no interest in a long debate on the virtues of the 'ebay marketplace' I much prefer to spend my time promoting my stores and finding genuine buyers.
ALikelyStory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nothing more to say Reply with quote

my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine wrote:
As I see it, you and I have very different ideas on selling.

You see efee as a good example marketplace and that buyers are well within their rights to waste the time of sellers, without showing consideration or good manners.

I haven't said anything even approaching that.

I said that lying to your customers by threatening them with bogus agencies, and implying that they have entered a contract when they haven't, is unethical. We have consumer protection laws in this country and you cannot send people collection notices threatening legal action unless they actually owe you money. Since "checkout", for lack of a better term, is not a binding contract, you may very well be violating our consumer protection laws when you send out such a notice.

You can keep choosing to twist what I am saying by changing the subject back to eBay all you like but what I am talking about has nothing to do with eBay. I'm talking about your behavior on eCrater.

Your 'English Good Manners' appear to be keeping you from explaining why such behavior is acceptable.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to side with ALikelyStory here. Threatening a nonpaying buyer with action you cannot take is unprofessional and could come back to bite your hiney. What if the buyer researches the non-existent organization on the internet? If it existed it would surely be there since it's about non-paying on-line buyers.

If someone was in my store and changed their mind, I don't want to alienate them. They know my store. They can tell their friends about the experience--good or bad. They might have seen other things they want in the future. Being a sore loser doesn't help you as seller at all.

As for the ecraterites who want ecrater to be more like eBay, there are quite a few who start threads in the community....if only we did this like eBay. You have to research the threads. They aren't entitled why can't we be more like eBay but that's the gist of their suggestion.

The fact is that most of us who came here from eBay did so when the fees became untenable. We put up with the system malfunctions, the constant threat of negative feedback, and the somewhat shady business practices of the "boss".

Threatening to report someone for non-payment reeks of eBay buyers threatening negative feedback if we don't reduce the price after the fact or give them a total refund for no reason, etc. It is unprofessional and frankly surprises me that it came from Ukraine.

Yes a note from the buyer would be nice (I certainly appreciate it when it happens) but our job is not to teach manners, it's to stock and maintain a shop, and if you've ever worked in a shop you know that much of an employee's time is taken up with time wasters. It goes with the territory. It's how people make up their minds to buy or not.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the lazyman's approach to things like this. If they are not going to pay, then why should I let them waste more of my time? If I write them a 20 second email, then I have wasted 20 seconds of my valuable time on a customer who is not spending money with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: