eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help, Need to get organized !!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debmode

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Help, Need to get organized !!!!!!! Reply with quote

Any tips on getting organized? I put up a shelf and that helped a little but was wondering if anybody had some more tips. I have a small area for stuff and my computer. I try to keep it out of the rest of the house and would love to be able to have some space where my computer is. Confused
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
yellowrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: help! Need to get Organized!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same problem. My son-in-law put up several shelves for me and I have some boxes on them that are labeled telling me what they are. Still, I am not organized enough. Embarassed

You may find this link helpful by Big Tall http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2866&highlight=organized
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh at your request. Help getting organized? I think BigTall and I have lots of ideas of how not to get organized.

I don't know how large your home is. For sure if your house is large enough devote a room or the attic or basement(if it is dry) to your business. If like me you live in a small apartment you make use of the space under the bed, behind the tapered back of your sofa, stack boxes and use them as end tables with a tablecloth hiding them. (I've got an awful lot of end tables.)

What's really important is to keep your piles clearly separate.
For vintage I keep
A pile of things that need doctoring--polished, laundered, ironed.
A pile of things waiting to be photographed.
A pile of things that have been photographed and are waiting to be listed.
Once they are listed, they go into a box, drawer or shelf that is labeled as in pillowcases, tablecloths etc,
When I sold on eBay and had piles of sold items waiting for my once a week trek to the post office I also had a pile of sold items waiting for packing. Then they got put in my PO boxes till mail day.
That's the ideal but every once in a while I find something in the listed box that I don't recall ever seeing before and when I check it isn't online.

I notice you have a number of items listed as having stains that if cleaned up are worth much more than you are asking. It can definitely be worth the effort to do some spot removal if you have the time.

I sell a lot of vintage scarves and two things people search for are fabric content and designer name. Especially if the scarf is silk mention it in the title but always state what it is made of in the description.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organization ???? What is that?????

Joyce
yellowrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Help, Need to get organized !!!!!!! Reply with quote

Maggie the Cat - you have some excellent ideas! Hoping to hear from tips! Glad I am in good company.
debmode

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The covering of boxes with a tablecloth is a great idea !!! Would look alot better then a pile of boxes ! I have tried to get stains out without much luck. I have considered doing a cutter lot with them but if I could get the stains out it would be worth it. Is there anything that works?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debmode wrote:
The covering of boxes with a tablecloth is a great idea !!! Would look alot better then a pile of boxes ! I have tried to get stains out without much luck. I have considered doing a cutter lot with them but if I could get the stains out it would be worth it. Is there anything that works?

Since I'm allergic to bleach I use Oxy-clean in fairly strong concentrations for spots. Never on silk or leather. I use an old toothbrush and rub the spot with the solution and leave it in the sun. The Oxy starts the process and the sun finishes it. I use my patio table. I've heard letting the treated item dry on the grassy lawn works but I've never tried that. For sure the Oxy will lessen the stains. People who collect Wilendur linens will overlook light stains. The other piece that caught my attention immediately was the vintage fruit tea towel. The spots didn't show on my computer so they might be treatable.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned for small spaces Is LOOK UP..... how much wasted space is on the upper half of the walls. Stack shelves higher & use a step stool Or hanging nets.... or over the door shelving type things. Hanging shoe shelves are GREAT for lighter items. Look in the "laundry" or bath area at Walmart... they have great little things for organizing.
Just look UP Wink
ChisumTrailMercantile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of my things organzied by category, similar to Maggie, I have a craft pantry that I use - this way I can see the things that are there, if I don't see them I tend to forget I have them.

When I list my vinyl albums or postcards I put them face down in a separate pile, that way I know which ones have been scanned, same with the albums (even those require a picture).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjscreations wrote:
One thing I learned for small spaces Is LOOK UP..... how much wasted space is on the upper half of the walls. Stack shelves higher & use a step stool Or hanging nets.... or over the door shelving type things. Just look UP Wink

Looking up is something I am learning. I watch This Small Space on HGTV and I am always amazed at the ideas I get from that program. Also magazines that deal with storage issues tend to get kept and revisited.

Something I learned long time ago is to make use of long hallways, particularly if you are an apartment dweller. Book cases are much deeper than books need so I use wall standards and brackets. Buy shelving just deep enough for the books and line the hallways floor to ceiling with shelves. It's not necessary to leave a lot of space at the tops of the books. It just attracts more dust. Store your books by height and place your shelves accordingly.

I have this really huge executive antique desk I'm trying desperately to get rid of. Meanwhile I store boxes of stuff at the back of the knee hole. One decorative storage idea I like but don't have is stacked vintage suitcases as end tables--full of course. They have that world weary look.

Once long ago I was house-sharing with a guy who collected girly magazines I took offense to. While he was away on a business trip I boxed them in same size boxes from the liquor store, wrapped the boxes in fancy adhesive-backed shelf liner paper and topped them with decorator cushions to create a long window seat. You can do that with boxes of stuff you want to sell too as long as you don't seal them shut as you want to get into them--frequently you hope. You just have to keep the boxes full to the brim or they will squash when people sit on them. And this works only for books and magazines or paper.
candybarwrappers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw this idea on some HGTV show....
Used kitchen cabinates as storage / window seats. get a piece of cheap plywood cut to size of top... use spray glue to put on a foam padding ... cover with fabric (staple under edges)... set on top of cabinate. Storage underneath & more sitting space.
We have a few "used housing stuff" warehouses. habitat for humanity has one here too.
bookboutique

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{looking up "organize" in Webster's}

Laughing lol Embarassed
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Help, Need to get organized !!!!!!! Reply with quote

These are all great tips! Thanks for sharing! If anyone has more ideas, please post. Keep em coming.
rudeatroves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and once you do get "organized", hehe !!! , spend the few extra minutes at the end of every day that you work in the room, to keep it that way...because sooner or later those "i'll do it later" piles tend to pile up and clutter up and pretty soon you are a couple of months of clutter behind Smile . Embarassed
I think i'm the queen of organized misorganization! seems like a year or so back on the feebay message boards someone started a thread and showed pictures of their "feebay" rooms... Most of them made me feel pretty good with my organized misorganization, but some....sure made me envious Smile now.....where is my tape measure......
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organization is a challenge. We have a small 2 bedroom house with a full basement and an attached room. The attached room has a washer, dryer, freezer and wall- to- wall, ceiling-to-floor bookcases. The books all stay there in alphabetical order. In the basement there are 2 walls of shelfs that house everything that is not paper.
Our dilemna and mess usually is the sorting area. The spare bedroom usually is the area that suffers there. (Good thing it has a door).

We also have stacks of interlocking trays, the plastic sort used in offices for in and out baskets. These are for small items that can be put in plastic baggies. We can mark each tray with a paper label with what the contents are.
So far we have not "lost anything". That would be a major panic attack.

We have purchased all our shelving, trays, labels, even the storage baggies at local household and business auctions.
It takes time and patience, but saves lots of $$$$.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: