eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Accepting Money Orders as a Form of payment Q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlannasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Accepting Money Orders as a Form of payment Q? Reply with quote

If you have this as a form of payment at your store, do you think it has increased sales at all?

I only accept paypal in my store, with a premier account so credit cards are also accepted. Just curious if I was to an MO as a payment type if it would help get any sales (that and advertising lol).

TIA
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer money order sales and have only had a couple of buyers use that method. Most use PayPal or Google Checkout.

Joyce

http://periwinkles.ecrater.com
http://oldtimevalues.ecrater.com
http://musicalnotes.ecrater.com
IlannasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Joyce
smilin-eyestreasures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had 5 sales here so far, but everyone has used Paypal. When I sold at the "other" place I had several people opt for money orders. I also know a family member of mine wants nothing to do with Paypal and only wants to pay with personal check or money order, so I personally feel it just opens up your range of prospective buyers to offer those methods of payment.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't hurt-as long as you don't ship until you know the money is good. I always offer it as some folks won't use online payment services.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer them too since I don't accept checks. It certainly doesn't hurt you. I only accept USPS or Canada Post MOs as they can be verified as authentic. Some that I used to accept looked like copy paper however I never had one returned.

Actually what hurts more than MOs is not accepting checks. A lot of people who won't use credit cards/PP/GC don't want to drive to the post office and stand in line to buy a $10 or $20 MO. They want to write a check, plunk a stamp on it and drop it in the letter box. I've lost sales because I don't accept them.
clothingbay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one sale via PAYPAL and 4 with money orders...it all depends on the customer. I also accept personal checks, only if the customer has purchased from me before via my auctions. Wink
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get many money orders across the board but most of the (legitimate-looking) orders I've gotten at eCrater with "money order" selected never go through for whatever reason.

I like to keep the option open though for those who don't use PayPal, don't like to give out their credit card info, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason I offer money orders is that for people who are buying multiple items, I advise them to chose MO at checkout and then I will send them a combined invoice for them to pay via PP or GC. On eBay almost all my sales were multiples. I think the reason that isn't true here is due to the difficulty of getting from a search engine find to my stores.

Even though I always combine shipping and send a partial refund when people overpay, I think people feel more confident when they can be invoiced for the correct amount in advance of paying.
lakesidefashion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie the cat: I have yet to sell ONE thing since I opened my store a few days ago, but I have asked buyers to choose the money order option (even if they wish to pay w/ paypal) and then I can invoice them THRU paypal with the adjusted shipping. and yes, people always seem to pay w/out combined shipping and then need a refund, but oh well. It certainly will be harder to combine than ebay, but I can get used to it.
I also accept money orders. I have had quite a few pay that way on ebay, and it really isn't a big deal for me as saves me paypal fees:)
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 50% of my sales here have been by money order and the customer has always followed through.

When I get a notification that the customer is paying by M.O. I send them an email explaining that their order won't be processed until funds have cleared the bank. I also let them know that there is no delay with a Postal M.O. bec the post office can cash it. Even though they already got the info I still tell them who to make it out to and what address to send it to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakesidefashion wrote:
maggie the cat: I have yet to sell ONE thing since I opened my store a few days ago, but I have asked buyers to choose the money order option (even if they wish to pay w/ paypal) and then I can invoice them THRU paypal with the adjusted shipping.

That has one drawback. Only people paying instantly with PP can leave feedback. If feedback is important to you, that isn't the way to go.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakesidefashion wrote:
maggie the cat: I have yet to sell ONE thing since I opened my store a few days ago, but I have asked buyers to choose the money order option (even if they wish to pay w/ paypal) and then I can invoice them THRU paypal with the adjusted shipping. and yes, people always seem to pay w/out combined shipping and then need a refund, but oh well. It certainly will be harder to combine than ebay, but I can get used to it.
I also accept money orders. I have had quite a few pay that way on ebay, and it really isn't a big deal for me as saves me paypal fees:)

Not sure WHERE you ask them that because I looked at a bunch of your items and don't see it anywhere. IF you put it on the terms page or anywhere else buyers won't ever see it!
koolstuffguyscomics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We accept them on eBay and it does help. Many people are anti-Paypal and giving them another avenue of payment always helps get the sale. We also accept them here but no sales as of yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: