eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Can't charge fixed rate for international countries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Can't charge fixed rate for international countries Reply with quote

I just tried to buy one of my items as a test, and it said "heartofjapan does not ship to Japan."

So I added Japan, and now the order goes through, but it charges 0 for shipping. I am charging $2 for shipping, but it only shows the shipping charge for US, Alaska, Hawaii and Canada.

I read "Flat rate can used only for US-Mainland, Canada, Alaska & Hawaii." This seems like a big problem.

If anyone in any other countries they will get free shipping.

I guess I will have to go back to selling only to US-Mainland, Canada, Alaska & Hawaii, since most of my sales are to the US, but I have had sales to other countries (on eBay), and I don't want to lose those sales.

Does anyone have any ideas?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW --- I thought for sure you were doing something wrong.

So I tested it on my items.

You are 100% correct as to ecrater.com showing ZERO for shipping. In my case this can be very costly.

I have filled out the contact us form at www.ecrater.com and asked what we as sellers can do to prevent this ZERO from happening. Even if it said the seller will contact you with shipping charges soon - I would be happier!

Thanks for making me and other sellers aware of this issue.

For now - I have removed all countries except Canada from my ship to list.
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:

I have filled out the contact us form at www.ecrater.com and asked what we as sellers can do to prevent this ZERO from happening. Even if it said the seller will contact you with shipping charges soon - I would be happier!

That would still involve an extra step for the customer, so they might decide it's too much trouble. If they are willing to pay the flate-rate shipping charge, why can't they do it at check out -- just like US customers can?

The problem is that eCrater only allows flat-rate shipping for the US and Canada. This is quote from the question-mark next to the shipping area of listing a product:

"Flat rate can used only for US-Mainland, Canada, Alaska & Hawaii."

I must admit I have no idea why eCrater sets up the shipping this way. If I want to charge $2 for shipping anywhere in the world, why can't customers pay it (except US customers). I state it in the description, and the customer agrees, but they can't complete the transaction.

ECrater could allow the seller to enter flat rate shipping for other countries as well. Or even better, they could have a worldwide option where you could enter the amount just one time -- instead of for each country.

I still don't understand why eCrater can't do that. If there's a good reason, it eludes me.

But thanks, Big Tall Man. Hopefully eCrater will resolve the problem. There are so many things I like about eCrater. But this shipping system is not one of them!
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That would still involve an extra step for the customer, so they might decide it's too much trouble.

NO extra step fpr the buyer -- just the seller. The seller would have to send an invoice JUST LIKE they do if a buyer buyes from multiple sellers.

My BIG concern is that it tells them shipping charges is ZERO.
That can easily cost me $20 or more for one item! NO WAY can I allow that to happen. No way!

[/quote]
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO extra step fpr the buyer -- just the seller. The seller would have to send an invoice JUST LIKE they do if a buyer buyes from multiple sellers.
[/quote]

Hi Big and Tall,

Please be patient because I am new to eCrater and don't understand at all.

Are you saying when an international customer tries to buy an item he will get a message that "seller will contact you with shipping charges soon." Then he have to wait for me to send a PayPal invoice with the shipping charge entered. Is that right?

In other words customer was ready to buy, but then have to wait. Maybe they will change their mind. Why do they have to wait? The shipping fee ($2) is aware of to me and to the customer. Why can't eCrater figure a way for the customer to pay this $2 fee?

I still don't understand why eCrater don't allow fixed-rate shipping for international customers. In my case I'm a seller in Japan, and I have no choice but fixed-rate shipping because the matrix won't work for me.
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[My BIG concern is that it tells them shipping charges is ZERO.
That can easily cost me $20 or more for one item! NO WAY can I allow that to happen. No way!

I agree with you that is a big problem. I don't want that to happen either. Most of my items (hair accessories) have $2 shipping, which is low number, so I think customer should pay at the time of checkout.

Cut I am also starting to list Hakata dolls which will have shipping charges of $30 or $40, which is similar to your situation.

Sorry to be upset. I think I'm working too hard Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying when an international customer tries to buy an item he will get a message that "seller will contact you with shipping charges soon." Then he have to wait for me to send a PayPal invoice with the shipping charge entered. Is that right?

YES, that's what you have to do if they buy from 2 different sellers on ecraters. So it's not any different. If they buy somethng from me and something from you --- they have to wait to get each of our invoices before they can pay anything.
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Big and Tall.

I see you are experienced guy, and I am just learning.

What do you think of this idea? It's original or maybe not: Since I want to offer a fixed price for shipping for each of my items, I could add the shipping to my list price and give free shipping? Then I won't have the problem of customers in countries other than the US and Canada receiving 0 shipping charge.

It is true that 90% of my business it to the US, but I don't feel it fair to lose the other 10%.

I realize that won't work for you because you are in the US (or Canada) so your shipping charges vary depending on country. But it may work in my situation.

If there is a problem with this idea please let me know.

I still think the best solution is for eCrater to allow flat-rate shipping to all countries.

Thanks again,

Haruko
busylizziecrafts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Shocked this could be a problem.

I'm using the matrix for shipping to USA, Canada, Austrial, New Zealand & Japan at the moment - will I be OK please Question
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartofjapan, one thing you can do is to fill out the shipping matrix for Japan and make the cost weight-based. If you do this it will still show like the flat-rate does so the customer doesn't know how it's calculated.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Are we talking about ALL shipping? Or flat-rate only? Or flat-rate international only?

It shows on the listing page but changes to zero at checkout?

Sorry to be so dense.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busylizziecrafts wrote:
Gosh Shocked this could be a problem.

I'm using the matrix for shipping to USA, Canada, Austrial, New Zealand & Japan at the moment - will I be OK please Question

I think the problem only accures when you use the Fixed Shipping.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are we talking about ALL shipping? Or flat-rate only? Or flat-rate international only?

The problem is that if you use FIXED RATE shipping all countries except - US Mainland, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada - show zero for the shipping charges on the order.
If it said the seller will contact you with the shipping charges I could except that. BUT telling them shipping is free is not going to work.

Quote:
It shows on the listing page but changes to zero at checkout?

ONLY US Mainland, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada show on the listing page.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BT.
heartofjapan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Big and Tall and Poopshoot,
To be honest this is a big problem for me, because I don't why eCrater don't allow to enter flat-rate shipping charge for other countries. Possibly they will solve the problem with a message that the seller will send them an invoice. Or I can use the shipping matrix, but I have to learn how to use it because so far I don't understand at all.
fancyflappers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could add the shipping to my list price and give free shipping?

I set my entire matric up by 1,2,3, and 4 pounds. For 1lb, it's actually free shipping in the US and a fee for International. I don't use the fixed ship option.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: