eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

When you make a sale...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tressables

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: When you make a sale... Reply with quote

...do you personally send an email to the customer, letting them know you got the order?

I have bought items from quite a few ecrater sellers. And for the most part, I get an email thanking me for my order, telling me it's on the way, etc. Which I LIKE! To me, communicating with the customer is important.

But for a couple of my purchases, I don't hear a peep from the seller personally...and that irritates me to no end! Especially if a couple of days go by and still no item.

Which do you do? And do you think your customers like or dislike it?

Gale
GreatCouponDiscounts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here and to online retailing, but I think you can only help your case by sending an email. In fact, I generally send two - one to let them know their order was received, then another letting them know it has been shipped. With the shipped item, I include a handwritten couple of lines saying something like "I hope you enjoy your _______. Thanks for your business, and please visit my store again." Then I sign in ink with my first name and store initials. In this day and age of Corporate big-wigs who have lost the desire to provide good Customer Service, I think that adds a personal touch that can never hurt, only help.

David
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Buytime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a standard email template that goes out for every order.
All we do is plug in the item info and send it out.
usalicenseplates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually thanks the buyer for his/her quick payment, let him/her know when the item will be shipped OR when I'll plan to ship it.
Once shipped I e-mail my customer back giving the website and tracking number for the parcel, thank him/her again, promote a few (new) items in my store and give tips to buy several at a time to save them money on the shipping costs on a potential future purchase.
I also promote another store and a few items there too.
To end, I have my store address in each e-mail signature describing what I sell.

Always be nice with a customer and he/she'll come back. I got the proof last week: I reminded a previous buyer that christmas was coming and a license plate would be a great gift. She bought me another one! Smile

Another example: on another site I sell on, someone bought some items from someone else in another store and saw my items after. I missed a sale but promoted some similar items he could be interested in.
Result: he bought 5 of them and if he likes he'll come back!

Communication is the key.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always send a thank you and an estimated time of mailing. If I'm mailing immediately I include the tracking info. If not and the item is pricey I send a second with the DC.

To me it is no different than buying in a brick and mortar store. If the clerk rings up the purchase while talking on the phone and doesn't even acknowledge you, do you think of them first when you need more? If someone chats as you check out, offers to call you when something comes in, and says thank you sincerely...

Not long ago I was in an antique store and the owner and his friend were chatting. I waited and waited since there was something I wanted. The man didn't even look up or say I'll be with you in a minute. By the time his friend said he had to go, I was so furious I said I was just looking and left. We are talking a half hour here.
smilin-eyestreasures

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always send a thank you for your order email. If they have paid right away I include the date it will be shipped and the DC number. If I have to wait for payment to clear I tell them I will email them again when payment has cleared and at that time give them the date of shipment and DC number. I also include a note with each shipment again thanking them, and with every correspondence I always say if you have any questions or problems, please let know. Some customers will answer you, and I've met some really nice people this way. That's what made me realize I like online selling.

I personally hate it when you purchase something and pay for it and never hear anything. It's like you just sent your money out into the black void and are left wondering if you will really get your item.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It totally depends on a few things
#1 - how busy I am
#2 - does the item need contact.

My promotional store is alot of contact, proofs, etc.
My clothing stores, an automatic email goes out from me when I use my postage service so they get that.
I normally send priority mail and mail out within 48 hours - so there is little to know waiting - except for the mail service.

If I took the time to personally email every buyer (other then the shipping notice) that's costing me alot of time. MY time is money.

I NEVER send the DC# - if for some reason it's not scanned, they can look it up and see that and claim they never got it. Which by sending them the number it's right there on their pc and easy to check. If I don't send the number that means if they go look they had to have it. So when they tell me they looked it up and it has not been delivered I know immediately that they are scamming me - since I never give them the number. As soon as I point that fact out to them - I never hear from them again!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always send an e-mail, especially for eCrater sales. I think a lot of people don't really know or understand this venue and would appreciate knowing their order got to somebody and is being processed.
BellaRain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I NEVER send the DC# - if for some reason it's not scanned, they can look it up and see that and claim they never got it. Which by sending them the number it's right there on their pc and easy to check. If I don't send the number that means if they go look they had to have it. So when they tell me they looked it up and it has not been delivered I know immediately that they are scamming me - since I never give them the number. As soon as I point that fact out to them - I never hear from them again!

I can completely agree with this! I use paypal for my shipping, is there a way to turn off the Check shipping so that they can not see the DC# or personally track it.
I have had too many DCs not scanned and feared a buyer might use that to their advantage.
I also noticed, Google Checkout wants the DC# sent to the buyer to protect us as a seller.
smilin-eyestreasures

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand for bigger sellers who use Paypal to print shipping labels to not give DC because that doesn't always get scanned at the PO when it goes out. I don't sell on that large a scale and use the green DC labels and take my items to the PO and wait in line and see it being scanned when I leave it, so I know my buyers can see online exactly what date and time their item was shipped. If I ever get fortunate enough to sell on a larger scale, I will probably rethink that part.
markhack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: When you make a sale... Reply with quote

Yes they like it! makes them feel more safe knowing it's been taken care of.

with my new site i cut retail WAY down and let buyers talk right to me with email or messagers ! when people can talk right to you they know right where there money is and feel safe with shipping time !

http://markhack.ecrater.com/

Tressables wrote:
...do you personally send an email to the customer, letting them know you got the order?

I have bought items from quite a few ecrater sellers. And for the most part, I get an email thanking me for my order, telling me it's on the way, etc. Which I LIKE! To me, communicating with the customer is important.

But for a couple of my purchases, I don't hear a peep from the seller personally...and that irritates me to no end! Especially if a couple of days go by and still no item.

Which do you do? And do you think your customers like or dislike it?

Gale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: