eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Ebay competition
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardsAndReneesGifts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Ebay competition Reply with quote

Ok here is a good question I hope someone can help. I have a lot of suppliers that I deal with and they have some great products that I want to sell but at a retail level, no wholesale. The problem is, when I did a quick peek at Ebay I have noticed the same, similar and/or like products being sold at fraction of what the sellers are buying them for. In other words ABC Widgets suggested retail price is $250.00 but the seller only pays $49.50 for the product. On Ebay they are listing ABC Widgets at $52.50 for only a profit of $3.00. How in the world can a person like me compete against that? Even more frustating is when they have the same product being bidded on and the starting bid is only $1.00. I don't mind competition in fact competition is healthy but how can a retail store compete when everyone is selling the same, similar, and/or like products way cheaper?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your question has to do with selling on eCRATER.com

But I will answer this part -
Quote:
how can a retail store compete when everyone is selling the same, similar, and/or like products way cheaper?

#1 find a product that not everyone else is giving away.
#2 find a supplier that don't charge as much - althought using a drop shipper is going to cost you. $3 is no profit on ebay when you consider the fees to list, sell and get paid. BUT $3 profit sold in a place with no fees might be doable if you are selling 100's of them a day and just having to take time to do a few clicks or have your process set up so it's all done automatically and you do nothing.

Studies show Shoppers that shop ebay expect to pay 50%-80% off retail price. Shoppers that shop the internet are looking for a specific item and will by as long as the price is reasonable IF IT'S what they are looking to buy in the first place - in other words price is not their #1 concern.

eBay is for bargain hunters. It is the world wide garage sale.
A website store is totally different concept then ebay so you really can't compare the 2.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do searches both there and here to see how many people are selling what you want to sell and what their prices are. No sense trying to sell something on ecrater for $250 when the next picture on the page is offering it at $50.

Also remember that if 100 people are selling resin angels on ecrater, the site looks boring to a buyer and they will decide the item is not very unique after all and change their minds about buying any.
joyfulsleep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view ebay as an advertising cost. Part of my strategy is using ebay to build name recognition. All of my packages go out with my own website and contact information. That's the case with all of my promotional activities. I never promote my ebay store, but need ebay at least for now while I build my business slowly from the ground up.

Ann
www.joyfulsleep.com
www.joyfulsleep.blogspot.com
partsanthings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyfulsleep wrote:
I view ebay as an advertising cost. Part of my strategy is using ebay to build name recognition. All of my packages go out with my own website and contact information. That's the case with all of my promotional activities. I never promote my ebay store, but need ebay at least for now while I build my business slowly from the ground up.

Ann
www.joyfulsleep.com
www.joyfulsleep.blogspot.com

I'm doing the same things sell things on e*ay so that i can drive customers to my online store(s) which are here and at another venue. I put a flyer and some business cards in every package. I don't have a store on e*ay but use the auction section. It;s a slow process but it is starting to pay off.

Allen
partsanthings.ecrater.com
Strikefoil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you make profit when ebay's fees are high from the get go. If someone says they are making a profit they are pulling your leg. I know they have a book called selling on ebay for dummies. You would have to raise your price and reserve to make a profit or break even.
keaneprints

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell on ebay under the i.d. of vintagealley. I have a lot of items that I am moving to eCrater. I can feel another fee hike coming and frankly I am sick of the fees. They really do cut into the profits.

www.keaneprints.ecrater.com
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you make profit when ebay's fees are high from the get go. If someone says they are making a profit they are pulling your leg.

That is just not true.
I make alot of money selling on ebay in ALL my stores there.
I sell the same stuff on ecrater.com cheaper then on ebay because I have no fees and I make ALOT of money here too.
ANd I ain't pulling any ones leg!
kimskorner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you make profit when ebay's fees are high from the get go. If someone says they are making a profit they are pulling your leg. I know they have a book called selling on ebay for dummies. You would have to raise your price and reserve to make a profit or break even.

LOL that is just not true!

Companies hire people to work their eBay ID's.....there is money to be made there for sure. I work for such a company.

So not only do they pay the eBay fees for the account they ALSO pay my wages.
bacpro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: ebay Reply with quote

I agree with whats being discussed here.

I have been on ebay since 1998 ! I've
sold stuff off and on. I had a store a couple
of times. But in the entire time I guess I spent
more on fees than anything else. Yes ebay
is the market place of the world, but each year
its getting harder and harder to compete. Most people
now on ebay are big time power sellers with deep pockets.

If your selling stuff on ebay and are successful, I comment you
because its hard to make a buck anymore....

My input!
John (bacpro)

PS: Don't fall for those infomercials selling HOW to become rich on ebay, they are all scams or don't help at all....
Look it up before you jump in. Here:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/default.asp
kimskorner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see for yourself if you put a little time into it how successful some ebay stores are.

Take mine for example: LDBMART

You can see the number of listings.....see the number of feedback for a certain month.

Knowing ebay fees you can figure out approximately what we pay each month in fees and looking at the feedback can get a rough estimate of how much is sold every month. Keep in mind not all buyers leave feedback.

We also have customers that after an ebay order or two then call us directly to place orders.

Now if we just put a few items on every now and then I would assume we wouldn't do well at all.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about HOW MUCH TIME you are willing to put in
same with your store here.

The days of list and they will buy are long gone.

You must have a presence on ebay and a following. Same here.
Strikefoil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Mr Big and tall/kimskorner proove it to me as to what you are saying about ebay. This I have to see to believe it. I am not convinced. I think someone is pulling a fast one on me. I feel another hike coming too. I think of half those infomercials are scams anyway.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know what to sell and how to sell it you will make money. That's obvious and that goes for any venue.
ZanesPlace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to give my input on this topic, I used to make an average of $3,000.00 a month on Ebay back in 1997. If I listed a pair of vintage inlay cowboy boots for $25.00 the bids went up to as high as $350.00. There were maybe 5-10 other pairs. Now, there are 50-1000 other pairs and I'd be lucky to get $25.00. I realize that the economy was far better back then but Ebay was new and truly gaining in popularity and really a safe place to buy. Now, to me, with the shipping charges and to win a bid you need to have either the software to bid at the last minute or be there to bid at the last minute. I find that I can buy most items cheaper in a store than on Ebay. The shipping fees on Ebay set to cover listing fees, delivery confirmation, insurance and PayPal fees has also made it more economical to just buy it at the store. I sell a little on there only to inform buyers of eCrater. I look at it as advertising and not profit.

To me, Ebay is no longer fun and I think a lot of people feel the same way. If eCrater turns into an SMC outlet, I guarantee it won't go far-seriously. Just ask those who started the Overstock Auction site. I was making more on Overstock when they started out than I was on Ebay with lower fees, easier to list set up and better customer service than Ebay-you actually spoke to a person without being put on hold 24/7. Then, the dreaded drop ship SMC flooded the auction site, listing resin statues under antiques and the collectibles category turned into 90% SMC fountains, resin everything. Long time buyers would email me that they no longer enjoyed the site, that they would check back on my listings but were no longer going to bother with Overstock. Eventually Overstock began removing the SMC stuff but it was too late. They lost too many customers. They closed it, revamped and it never came back. The same can be said for Livedeal when they started. At first it was fun and there were sales but it was a free listing forum and soon came the 50 million resin statues of SMC and it wasn't but a few months and buyers quit bothering. I know I am probably getting SMC people annoyed but in all my 13 years of selling online I have found two things, you sell where the people go and they don't go where SMC is the majority of the listings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: