eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Flat Rate Shipping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taosbound

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Flat Rate Shipping Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just getting started here. I am so used to Ebay, so I do have a question about flat rate shipping. By looking at everything, it seems to me, that flat rate shipping is the way to go to keep my sanity. I will be mainly selling candles, which are heavy items, so I am putting all of my large jar candles at 8.95, because that will cover me with the flat rate USPS box, however, what if someone buys from me and they live a closer zone, of course, their shipping would be less.....so......should I put in my listings that shipping may be less depending on the zone they live in? I don't want to overcharge for shipping at all, I want to charge exact shipping, but don't want to have to package everything up before selling it, way too cumbersome. If the customer's shipping is less than 8.95, I could just credit their account back through Paypal right? I truly don't understand the shipping matrix, and really don't want to.......any advice? thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should I put in my listings that shipping may be less depending on the zone they live in?

How many places do you shop online where they make disclaimers like that? Personally, I wouldn't, although I know that some other sellers do make a point of it. It just doesn't sound businesslike to me.

Like many others, I charge shipping and handling for my time and the peanuts and bubble-wrap I have to buy! I guess I could raise the prices on my items to cover it, but I'd rather charge it where it belongs (in my mind anyhow).

I don't think $8.95 sounds high for a heavy jar candle, which will take a lot of padding and packaging; it sounds quite fair. If you start apologizing for high shipping, a prospective buyer might start thinking about it, too. Wink Let all the emphasis be on how well you pack (and maybe insure?) and stress how safely their candle will make the journey to its new home!

My thoughts...you'll get more!
Becky
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
I don't think $8.95 sounds high for a heavy jar candle, which will take a lot of padding and packaging; it sounds quite fair. If you start apologizing for high shipping, a prospective buyer might start thinking about it, too.

The only problem, of course, is that two candles would apparently ship for $17.90, three candles for $26.85. I agree that $8.95 sounds reasonable (and delivery would be quick) but buyers may start to feel it's a bit ridiculous if they want to buy more than one.
taosbound

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: COMBINED SHIPPING Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for all of your imput, keep it coming! About combined shipping, I can ship two jar candles in a flat rate box for 8.95, but will paypal let me combine shipping with Ecrater? I used to do it all the time on Ebay, but just don't know how this system works? Could I go into Paypal and adjust the shipping? Because they have to buy it now with Ecrater, I didn't know if I had that option??????Help!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they go through the transaction normally then they'll pay before you ever know they've placed an order.

Some folks make a note in their listings that says combined shipping will be reduced and that customers can either buy and wait for a partial refund or e-mail their order and wait for an invoice with the proper total.

That's one workaround anyway.

You could also go one better since you'll be selling a lot of candles (assuming they're all roughly the same size/weight) and list the shipping rates in each listing for up to 10 candles or whatever. People will love seeing that they can get two candles shipped for the same shipping price as one.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's flat rate shipping, it will be the same price anywhere in the US. I wouldn't worry about putting in anything about distance.
As for combined shipping, I just put in every listing that I do combine and to contact me before paying, to get the corrected paypal or google invoice. Seems to work, and if the buyer can't or doesn't read, I refund the difference in postage.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to charge only exact shipping you will get a bad headache for sure. Your items are breakable so do you weigh the peanuts and count the inches of bubble wrap used.

Flat rate boxes have no zone breakdowns but I'm not sure where you get $8.95 as the rate for flat rate box. That is solely for the post office and does not include any packaging supplies, delivery confirmation or insurance.

Suggestion for marketing you items. Try listings of 2 jar candles and show shipping for the flat rate price. I'm not a candle user due to fragrance sensitivity but my friends who use candles use them constantly. I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time selling listings of multiples. This might increase your sales and make your buyers visibly aware of the savings in combined shipping.
taosbound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: FLAT RATE SHIPPING Reply with quote

I can ship in the usps flat rate box for 8.95, doesn't matter how much packaging, bubble wrap, newspaper I use, that's why I love those boxes, especially for heavy items!
luckyduck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what she meant is those materials aren't free generally. The post office generally charges for ALL shipping materials you use that comes from them (so it you want to buy packing peanuts, use their tape etc it will cost you...some post offices will give these to you at no cost but most will charge). If you have your own to use great...I know I do. But once it comes to having to buy the peanuts etc...the cost will add up.

Also, the boxes do not come with insurance or delivery confirmation. Unless you buy online through the USPS Click-N-Ship program then it includes the delivery confirmation...but still no insurance. Both will add cost to those boxes if you choose to have them. Just something to keep in mind more than anything.

If charging 8.95 works for you that's great...not like shipping rates are set in stone...you can change them at any time Smile
taosbound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: shipping when using paypal Reply with quote

okay, now using paypal on ecrater, must be the same as using paypal on ebay, right? if i only accept payapal, won't the option of insurance be there when the customer checks out? See, I am used to someone buying something from me, then me sending them an invoice, like i did on ebay, which would include the option of insurance, is it the same on ecrater? If not, then how do I put the option of insurance in? Or can the customer add it to their invoice before they pay? I guess I am confused on paypal when it comes to ecrater, so used to ebay, the habit is hard to break. is there any way I can do a test to see what the customer would see when purchasing something from me? Am i making sense to anyone? Help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal and ecrater is not the same as paypal on ebay.

There is no optional insurance space. You either include it in the shipping or not. If you don't include it and state that is it optional, buyers will more than likely skip it and you will be liable for damaged merchandise. If they want it, it means several emails back and forth and perhaps another paypal invoice which costs you extra fees.

If you add insurance into the cost of shipping, merely state in the listing that shipping includes insurance. Buyers never question having the package insured. In fact it gives them a little extra assurance the package will arrive safely. The heavier fragile items are the more likely they are to shift in transit. Glass jar candles need to be wrapped in something, not just packed in peanuts and I have never heard of a post office offering it free. I always scavange for bubble wrap but so do a lot of people. And when I have to buy a roll it costs about 50cents a 12 inch square.

What I meant in my previous post was that if you didn't take these extras into consideration, your profit margine would be in the negative.
taosbound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THAT INFO, THIS IS SO DIFFERENT THAN FEEBAY, TAKES TIME GETTING USED TO IT! I WILL GO BACK AND CHANGE ALL OF MY LISTINGS TO INCLUDE INSURANCE FOR ALL OF MY GLASS CANDLE ITEMS. MAKES SENSE TO INCLUDE IT WHEN SHIPPING BREAKABLES. I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP. NOW, MY NEXT QUESTION THAT I NEED TO GET CLEAR ON IS COMBINED SHIPPING. I HAVE IN MY LISTINGS THAT I CAN SHIP TWO CANDLES FOR 9.95, WHICH WILL NOW GO UP DUE TO HAVING INSURANCE INCLUDED. HOWEVER, HOW IS COMBINED SHIPPING DONE ON ECRATER? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY HELPFUL. CAN I PUT IN MY LISTING THAT IF BUYING TWO CANDLES, THAT SHIPPING CAN BE COMBINED AND THEN ASK THEM TO WAIT FOR AN INVOICE FROM ME? OR IS THAT NOT AN OPTION? ANY HELP IN THIS AREA WILL GREATLY HELP ME. OF COURSE, I WANT THE CUSTOMER TO BUY MORE FROM ME, SO OFFERING COMBINED SHIPPING DOES MAKES SENSE, BUT I DON'T WANT IT TO BE A HASSLE FOR ME OR MY CUSTOMER. ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED! I STILL DON'T HAVE A SALE YET, GETTING A BIT DISCOURAGED, I THINK IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY FEEDBACK YET, DON'T YOU? LET ME KNOW!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckyduck wrote:
I think what she meant is those materials aren't free generally. The post office generally charges for ALL shipping materials you use that comes from them

Actually, almost all USPS-produced Priority Mail supplies (including the $8.95 flat rate boxes) are supplied free of charge. Sometimes you can get stuff from your local post office but in my experience they often don't have enough supplies for themselves. The best way to get lots of free supplies is to register at usps.com, go to one of the shop/supplies links and place your order (no shipping charges either).
taosbound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: FLAT RATE SHIPPING Reply with quote

YES, I GET ALL OF MY BOXES DELIVERED RIGHT TO MY FRONT DOOR BY ORDERING THEM AT THE USPS.COM WEBSITE! THAT'S WHY I ONLY SHIP USPS! I NEVER HAVE PP BOXES LAYING AROUND, BESIDES SHIPPING CANDLES THE FLAT RATE BOX IS A MUST! I USE BUBBLE WRAP TO WRAP MY CANDLES AND THEN INSULATE THE BOX WITH NEWSPAPER, A GREAT WAY TO RECYCLE OLD NEWSPAPERS AND NOT HAVE TO BUY THOSE DREADED PEANUTS, GEEZ, I HATE PEANUTS! STILL NEED ADVICE ON COMBINED SHIPPING WITH PAYPAL. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

Suggestion for marketing you items. Try listings of 2 jar candles and show shipping for the flat rate price. I'm not a candle user due to fragrance sensitivity but my friends who use candles use them constantly. I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time selling listings of multiples. This might increase your sales and make your buyers visibly aware of the savings in combined shipping.

Otherwise there is a way you can change your options with Paypal to add X number of $ for each additional item. I've never used it as it would make no sense for me. A second hanky would add nothing but a second tablecloth could add several dollars. Generally I just adjust the final charge on Google or issue a refund on Paypal.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: