eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

2 questions from a Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: 2 questions from a Newbie Reply with quote

Trying to find out if I'll get in trouble for saying either of these things in my ads:

1. Can I add my own quantity in the description text, like "10 available" or something like that?

2. Can I also indicate in the description that I will offer a shipping discount for multiple purchases? $xx for the first item, plus $xx for each additional item or something like that?

I've browsed around some other people's stores, but so far haven't hit any with these statements in them, so thought it might be taboo. I know BigTall and others use qty numbers in their inventory codes, but I don't need that--want to actually spell it out for the buyer's information.

I'm preparing my first bulk listing and would hate to make 200 screw-ups in one email!! Laughing

Thanks,
Becky
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
plussizelingerie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but I would say that is okay Wink
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it should be OK, but the idea of the bulk listing gave me pause. It's one thing to do a boo-boo on 2 or 3 ads, but uploading 100 at a time, all of which would have to be edited...mercy!!
Thanks for the opinion!
Becky
THEFlagCompany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that here at EC it is assumed that you carry inventory therefore have more that one. The question has been how to handle the single item. See elsewhere on this form for that discussion.

For the combined shipping, I lowered my per piece cost to equal what I do in my other on-line stores or with some items just included the shipping in the cost of the item.
plussizelingerie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with some items just included the shipping in the cost of the item.

The reason this is not a good idea, is because your items are listed on Froogle by price and if a buyer is scanning down the list they are gunna pass you up because your item is higher. The customer can not see the free shipping from Froogle.

I was doing the same thing myself, offering FREE shipping until it was pointed out to me what was happening in the search engines Wink
THEFlagCompany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plussizelingerie

Good point!
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I do carry inventory, but in most cases it's limited to what I have in stock--can't get any more for most of them. So I might have 25 of one thing and only 5 of something else. Maybe I'll just add something like "while supplies last" or "only a few left" on the ones I only have a few of.

Can't really avoid the combined shipping issue--it's pretty much expected in my field, so I'll include the info in the description and hope they read!

The best way to learn is to step into the fire, I guess, so I'm going to submit my first bulk 100, cross my fingers, and see how many mistakes I make! Very Happy
Thanks again so much for your help!
Becky
THEFlagCompany

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTDiecastCars
Quote:
So I might have 25 of one thing and only 5 of something else.

I have the same problem plus I have two other on-line stores plus my local sales. I plan on hiding the items or removing them depending on the item. It makes inventory control really important!
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTDiecastCars wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I do carry inventory, but in most cases it's limited to what I have in stock--can't get any more for most of them. So I might have 25 of one thing and only 5 of something else. Maybe I'll just add something like "while supplies last" or "only a few left" on the ones I only have a few of.

Can't really avoid the combined shipping issue--it's pretty much expected in my field, so I'll include the info in the description and hope they read!

The best way to learn is to step into the fire, I guess, so I'm going to submit my first bulk 100, cross my fingers, and see how many mistakes I make! Very Happy
Thanks again so much for your help!
Becky

I use a stock number at the end of my title. The last digit tells me how many I have. When I sell one, I go to the item and edit it. When I sell the last one I upload a SOLD image to that item and make that image the default image until I know the customer has received it then I delete or hide the ad.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Big Tall!

In case I haven't said thank you enough for all your work in explaining and encouraging people to come here, THANK YOU now!

Your stock number idea is great, but I need to let the buyers know about the quantities and I'm not sure that they would realize what that number means. I have quite a few multiple-item buyers so I'm just going to spell out the quantity info in the listing, at least for the things that are very limited. (like fewer than 10)

Flag Co., boy, you're right about inventory control! With eBay, Amazon, craft supplies inventory, finished crafts inventory, and now ecrater, I feel like my whole life is a giant stack of spreadsheets!! Laughing

Thanks for all the ideas and help!
Becky
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case I haven't said thank you enough for all your work in explaining and encouraging people to come here, THANK YOU now!

YOU are very welcome.

I look at it this way -
I am INVESTING my time and energy into making my ecrater.com stores WORK for me. The more I know, the more I share, the better the market place will be as a whole and WE ALL WIN!
Compass-Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful attitude, BigTall. Thanks for all you do!
LaVieEnRoseGardens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember is that eCrater is NOT an auction site!! All Dimitri has done, at no charge for now, is allowed you a small boutique inside his huge shopping center! Froogle is his HUGE billboard letting passers-by know what is INSIDE his mall BUT .... YOU have to maintain your own boutique! It's your job to keep your own stock level. It's also your responsibility to advertise your wares, drag your own customers in AND run your own cash register.

I know that for some people, keeping inventory by way of stock #'s and stock levels is hard but a simple Excel spreadsheet would do the trick perfectly.

Once you make this simple spreadsheet , the TITLE of the item in your eCrater store becomes the Description of the item. If you sell similar items but in different sizes or colors, by changing the TITLE slighly will give you a different Description, hence a different Stock#.

EXAMPLE:

Make sense? Inventory control is a LOT of work, but the hard work at the beginning makes it easy at the end!

Hope this helps anyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: