eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Puzzle this out with me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somewhereinmymemories

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Puzzle this out with me Reply with quote

As it occurred to me - I know the reason that a buyer found one of my items. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I changed my titles, if I might get more buyers from Google searches.

Here is what happened. I had an item for sale. I decided to reduce the price, so I did and stated right in the title as a change "SALE!" and stated the new price in the title.

It occured to me that I suddenly started getting a LOT of hits on this item, and finally a buyer found it through Google!

Now this may not apply to everyone depending on what you sell. But let's say you sell Nintendo DS's. If a buyer googles "Nintendo DS' what do they pull up? they pull up Walmart, Ebay., etc., etc. AND they pull up HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of articles, reviews, posts, discussions, etc., ABOUT Nintendo DS. But that doesn't help them because they are looking to BUY one and now your Ecrater listing is buried!

If you have one in your ecrater store, it's going to get buried under all that other stuff.
BUT if you put in the title "For Sale -Nintendo DS Lite $110" then you have the price and the word "sale" in the Google search.

Is this right? It seems redundant to keep putting the word "sale" in your title, but if that will pull it to the top of a potential buyer's Google search (who doesn't give a darn about the 1000 blogs mentioning nintendo DS that might pull up with it) THEN your item has a better chance of being found.

Am I right here? I know this won't work for all kinds of items, but I deal in one of a kind antiques and collectibles. I may experiment and try it!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
noadi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, putting "sale" in the title will help bring it up in the searches if someone puts sale in the search (and lots do). So will having "sale" in the description. Doing this makes "sale" a keyword for the listing. If you don't have the word in the listing somewhere it's not going to come up as a keyword in searches.
thenostalgicnugget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I would like to know more about what google intends to do...Bigs said something about google not reading descriptions in the future...just tags...
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tags and ATTRIBUTES
titles are an attribute that is automatically submitted by ecrater.com
Descriptions are too. But I think it's something like the first 200-250 characters or something that actually get read.
thenostalgicnugget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the trick is getting everything into 250 ..I dunno...if I can do that. Shocked
noadi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would only apply to google products I would assume. Regular google search should still read everything on the page. So stick the most important stuff in the first 250 characters but don't limit yourself to 250.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

way I understand it is PRODUCTS are not going to appear in a google website
they are there now
but once the whole thing makes the change they are not suppose to be there. That will be for website that are not stores.

BUT keep in mind Google might be the #1 search engine but it is NOT the only one.
ALSO, google often lets rumors out about things they have no plan of actually doing as they are working on something completely different. They like to be secretive.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
way I understand it is PRODUCTS are not going to appear in a google website
they are there now
but once the whole thing makes the change they are not suppose to be there. That will be for website that are not stores.

BUT keep in mind Google might be the #1 search engine but it is NOT the only one.
ALSO, google often lets rumors out about things they have no plan of actually doing as they are working on something completely different. They like to be secretive.

Do you want to expand on this for me? Do you mean the Products function is going to cease or that there will be no items for sale in a regular google search?

Babesntoyland
"Here is what happened. I had an item for sale. I decided to reduce the price, so I did and stated right in the title as a change "SALE!" and stated the new price in the title."

I'm not sure SALE attracts all that many people. On another site where it was easy to change info to show price reductions and sales per item or storewide, it just didn't work. I too sell OOAK vintage/antique and the strange thing is that sometimes upping the price significantly will sell an item that has been languishing for months or even years.

A friend of mine who sell 18th/19th century English antiques on line claims people don't want to feel that they are getting a cheap item even when it is.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read -- obviously could be 100% WRONG - google only lets out rumors and don't like folks know what they are really up to until it's launched.

BUT the rumor world says - once google gets the new search thingy working products will be under shopping - that's where the feeds go and there won't be products for sale appearing when you do a web site search.
Products for sale in shopping only
web sites that don't sell stuff will be in the web site search

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
BUT the rumor world says - once google gets the new search thingy working products will be under shopping - that's where the feeds go and there won't be products for sale appearing when you do a web site search.
Products for sale in shopping only
web sites that don't sell stuff will be in the web site search

That's a good thing to my mind. I hate having to wade thru a million eBay dead links or links to a category when I am lookiing for information about something. Also without the pictures, if I am shopping, I hate having to click on each link to see what it is.
somewhereinmymemories

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too sell OOAK vintage/antique and the strange thing is that sometimes upping the price significantly will sell an item that has been languishing for months or even years.

I must say, I've never been fortunate enough to have this happen in my 11 years of online sell and 15 years of show/shop selling! But I've also never had an item languish for years - if that is the case, then there is something wrong, and my inclination would be to slash it until it moves or throw it into a garage sale, local auction or Ebay. As a buyer, I do know that I meander through the Ruby Lane listings and have to laugh at some of the crazy inflated prices over there!

Of course, Ebay is a different story - one day something can sell for $300, the next day the same item in better condition can go for $75. Go figure.
noadi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google has worked so hard the last few years to make their general search inclusive across everything, image, video, sites, products, etc. that it doesn't seem to make sense for them to start separating products out now. Google however loves to be mysterious about what they are doing so who knows what their plans are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babesntoyland wrote:
I too sell OOAK vintage/antique and the strange thing is that sometimes upping the price significantly will sell an item that has been languishing for months or even years.

I must say, I've never been fortunate enough to have this happen in my 11 years of online sell and 15 years of show/shop selling! But I've also never had an item languish for years - if that is the case, then there is something wrong, and my inclination would be to slash it until it moves or throw it into a garage sale, local auction or Ebay. As a buyer, I do know that I meander through the Ruby Lane listings and have to laugh at some of the crazy inflated prices over there!

Of course, Ebay is a different story - one day something can sell for $300, the next day the same item in better condition can go for $75. Go figure.

I think what happens is that changing the price and sometimes freshening the title or description a bit or putting a different pic in default, elevates it in search engines. It has happened too often to me not to take it seriously. Just to give you an example, I had a vintage handbag listed on Ruby Lane for about $35. Another seller bought it and immediately relisted it on Ruby Lane for $75. It sold within a few days. Why? She was selling many of the same kinds of bags that I was but her prices were 4 or 5 times what mine were. She sold ten times as many bags in a month as I did.

On many occasions I have doubled my prices and had them sell. This is how I think buyers see it. I could be wrong but I do have some of these same thoughts when I am buying.

I see an antique or vintage dish that is for sale for $10 but shipping is also $10. My thinking is do I really want to pay $10 s/h for a $10 dish? Probably not. But if that same dish is $25 with $10 s/h, then I do not dismiss it quite so readily as not worth it. Of course my bank balance dictates how much I will pay to an extent, but I will look at that $25 plate as more desirable and must have than a $10 plate.

As for not keeping items languishing for years, I never mark down a really good piece of vintage/antique. The ho-hum stuff sells more quickly and the rest only increases in value. I don't sell large items so as long as I don't outgrow my closets, they can stay.
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for not keeping items languishing for years, I never mark down a really good piece of vintage/antique. The ho-hum stuff sells more quickly and the rest only increases in value. I don't sell large items so as long as I don't outgrow my closets, they can stay.

Completely agree on the value..certain items do become an investment...

During the last week of every month we go through the items that have had only a few hits and revise them to bring them back to life on the searches.
That is why we like the hit count refresh at the beginning of the month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: