eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Solutions to Common Questions - Google Attributes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> FAQs and Solutions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Solutions to Common Questions - Google Attributes Reply with quote

These first few posts were posted in 2011. Some things have changed and may not be up to date. Please see the last post on this topic for some good information about what kind of attributes are needed the most in order for your products to be successfully indexed to Google Shopping.

eCRATER collects and submits automatically your products to Google Base and they appear on Google Products a bit later.

Support for additional attributes has been added to ecrater.com. Prior to this ecrater.com submitted only the "standard" attributes that can be applied on any product like product's name and description, price, image url, etc.

eCRATER requires these attributes to be entered in a special format: [!attr-name:attr-value!] NOTICE - no spaces

You can include Google Base attributes in your product's description. Just place them at the end. The more attributes you include in your product's description the greater the chances to receive better placement in Google Products. eCRATER requires these attributes to be entered in a special format: [!attr-name:attr-value!]. Please note that eCRATER does not support some Google Base attributes. Supported attributes with sample values assigned are shown below:

I. Unique Product Identifiers Attributes (required for all products but custom made and apparel)
[!brand:Acme!]
[!isbn:0451524233!]
[!mpn:HSC0424PP!]
[!upc:834721479305!]
[!gtin:001234567891!]
[!ean:1001234567891!]
[!jan:12345678!] or [!jan:1234567890123!]

II. Important Attributes (required for apparel)
[!color:red!]
[!size:medium!]
[!material:leather!]
[!pattern:striped!]
[!gender:male!]
[!age_group:adult!]

III. Other attributes
[!age_range:2-5!]
[!capacity:128MB!]
[!focus_type:manual!]
[!format:DVD!]
[!genre:Rock and Roll!]
[!megapixels:5.2 MP!]
[!platform:Nintendo Wii!]
[!rating:PG-13!]
[!style:casual!]
[!featured_product:y!]

Please note that e eCRATER does not support some Google Base attributes.

Last edited by zickit on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:52 am; edited 3 times in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
movinon wrote:
So . . . how do you use the information gathered at Google Analytics? I'm definitely facinated at where the hits are coming from and the time of day, but what does everyone else actually DO with all the information provided?

There are lots of way to use the info you gather. I look at it like this. If my "bounce rate" is high, it may mean that my home page isn't capturing my visitors attention so I may consider some rewording, adding, removing text or changing images or other elements. If my changes result in lower bounce rate then I assume it's having a positive influence.

I look at where visitors are coming from an for me this helps determine if my promotion (s) are effective. If I spend lots of time on a particular forum for instance and I'm not getting any visitors then perhaps my time could be better spent elsewhere. If I'm getting lots of referral traffic from a site, I may see what I can do to increase it.

Search engine traffic is important and if I'm not getting good SE referrals then I may look into what I can do to increase it. Perhaps I need to work on building more back links, better meta tags, keyword etc to try and improve my SERP position.

I use some paid advertising and promotion so it's important to now if it's sending any traffic. I haven't use paid advertising on my ecrater store yet but I do on my other sites so it's vital to know how things are performing so I can make an informed decision to continue a certain method or not.

I could go on but I think you get the idea of the value of the info analytics provide. Wink
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you put them side by side (do they need to have a space between)? or stack them up one above the other? Does it even matter?

see http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8885
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a bounce rate?

Bounce rate refers to people landing on your site and then immediately clicking away from your site.

direct from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Rate
Bounce Rate (often confused with Exit Rate) is a term used in website traffic analysis. A Bounce occurs when a website visitor leaves a page or a site without visiting any other pages before a certain session timeout elapses

Ways A Visitor May Cause A Bounce
1. Close the open window or tab or simply type in a new URL
2. Click Back Button, which would take them away from the website
3. Time-out, where no other action is taken after set time period

Bounce rates can be used to help determine the effectiveness or performance of an entry page. An entry page with a low bounce rate means that the page effectively causes visitors to view more pages and continue on deeper into the website
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassTrainsAndMore wrote:
For those who are challenged,like me, I get this information off a Google page.

MPN or Manufacturer Part Number, is the unique part number or code for an item determined by the manufacturer for the product.

UPC or Universal Product Code, is a unique numerical identifier for commerical products, usually associated with a bar-code printed on retail merchandise.

ISBN or International Standard Book Number, is a unique numerical identifer for all commerical books. You can find your book's ISBN on the back of the book along with a barcode.

Hope that helps someone besides me and I hope I posted this in the right place.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering Google Attributes Using the "G" Button:

The "G" button is added to simplify the addition of Google Attributes into your eCrater listings. The easy-fill table allows you to enter the Attribute Names and Values without worrying about the correct format. It also will not let you enter Attribute names that are not in the list of Google Attribute Names that are allowed at eCrater (for complete list of Attribute Names allowed please see the list above or simply click on the question mark next to the Attribute table).

To enter the Google Attributes after listing the product, simply click on the button with the letter G on it next to the listings name in "Products" section of your stores admin page.

In the table you will see two columns of boxes. One titled "Attribute Name" the other "Attribute Value". In each row enter only one attribute name in the same exact form as it is indicated in the list given (click on question mark to see).

In the box next to the Attribute Name enter the Attribute Value (may be a number, a word or a phrase). You can enter multiple Attribute values by putting a comma then a single space between them.

In the table you do not use squate brackets [], exclamation marks !, or colon : .

If you enter the same attribute name more than once eCrater will only take the first and discard the second one.

When you are done completing the table simply click on "update&exit" button. eCrater will put them in the correct format (seen in the first post above) and place them at the last line of your product description.

For more info see:
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5912
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11291
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?p=113152

Last edited by acread on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to see what your competitors use for attriburts?

Get the name of your competitor then go to http://dev.tomthedeveloper.com/googlebase/ca/

Google Base Competitor Analysis
An application that Google Base providers can use to determine how their prices compare to the prices of similar objects in Google Base. It also shows some in depth details on competitors items not normally seen on Google Base Search.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
Posted: 31 Mar 2011 19:33
Check out this suggested attribute list- if you click on the + it will show how many attributes are allowed.
Of course the list and suggestions could change in a heartbeat... it's Google!! Laughing

http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=188494
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please read
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=28712
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some updated information from Sheila Dee's Postcards. If you do not have a UPC/EAN/GTIN number please follow the directions in the last paragraph of this post.

First, remember there is a difference in Google Organic and Google Shopping. It does take time for Google Organic (and other search engines) to index your items. Only they know the factors that go into getting good placement in a search engine.

The attributes that eCRATER allows us to enter are added to the feed eCrater submits to Google shopping. It's usually a very short time until your items are shown in Google Shopping. Google Shopping considers brand and GTIN as required for all items if the condition is new and recommends them for used items. A GTIN is a Global Trade Item Number such as upc, ean, jan, ISBN. According to Google Shopping:
Quote:
brand -
Required (For all new products, except movies, books, and musical recording brands)
Optional for all other products

gtin -
Required (For all new products with a GTIN assigned by the manufacturer)
Optional (strongly recommended) for all other products

identifier_exists -
Optional
Use to indicate whether or not the unique product identifiers (UPIs) GTIN, MPN, and brand are available for your product.

At one time Google Shopping required brand & gtin for all items. Then they realized not evey item has a brand or a gtin or a mpn (manufacture's product number). They also realized not all books printed after 1976 have ISBNs. They introduced identifier_exists with a value of no or false for those items that didn't have brands or gtins. If you do not have a brand, gtin, or mpn then use identifier_exists with a value of no or false. DO NOT enter upc unless you have the upc number or brand unless you have a brand. Google Shopping uses this information to group like items. Now they only require this info for new items, but recommend for used items.

The message you received as a red warning, "Missing required attributes for this product. Please include:brand and upc/ean/jan." is from eCrater as a reminder to make sure you address this issue of brand, upc/ean/jan. If you don't enter brand and a gtin, you'll get the reminder until after several feeds to Google shopping and they see the item accepted. If your item doesn't have brand and gtin, enter identifier_exists with a value of no or false and ignore the notice in red. It will go away after a while which may be several weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> FAQs and Solutions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: