eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Silly question on attributes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Silly question on attributes Reply with quote

OK I know this is probably a very silly question and it might be mentioned somewhere. I just couldn't find it.

Is there a specific way to add the attributes on the descriptions. I know they need to go to the end (would it create any problems if they are not?). Do you put them side by side (do they need to have a space between)? or stack them up one above the other? Does it even matter?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimitri said put them at the end. The reason I THINK is because where they are leaves a big white empty looking space in your description. At the end no one notices that.

Quote:
Do you put them side by side (do they need to have a space between)? or stack them up one above the other? Does it even matter?

It doesn't matter. Personally, I stack mine only because it's easy for me to see that are all typed correctly. Stacking them puts a bigger empty space.
Here's one I just did -
http://bigtallmensclothing.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2163637
see that big empty space at the bottom of the description - that's where my attributes are.
Putting them side by side with a empty space works too and it won't leave such a big empty space but I don't mind the space, lol
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response BigTall Exclamation

I was putting them at the ends of the lines where my item descriptions are, so they weren't noticible. Maybe that's a bit redundant. (But if Google is not going to read content anymore, soon it might not be so.)

Now I have no excuse left not to list that boxful of books. I better get to it.
Smile
acread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question about attributes. What do I do with books that also have an ISBN13? Do I list two ISBNs?
Confused
ChisumTrailMercantile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewforum.php?f=13

The above thread gives some help on the attributes and what you can list - Dawn
acread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
silktraveler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: confused about what the buyer sees when attributes are used Reply with quote

I'm reading through the help about including Google attributes.
I have clicked the G button, clicked the ? for how to type them and entered some and then clicked Update and Exit.

But when I view my own listing this is what I'm seeing at bottom of listing and I think it looks tacky.

http://silktraveler.ecrater.com
- - or - -
www.silktraveler.com[!product_type:potpourri!][!brand:crabtree evelyn!]

www.silktraveler.com[!brand:Thymes!][!product_type:Limon!][!feature:rare!]

In this help section several times a link to a listing is included with a note that we can " see what they look like " and it's noted " see where the large white space is...that's where they are ".
But it's blank space; I mean I don't see the brackets words like I am on my listing.

It sounds like you are saying the actual typed attributes and values should be viewable but that doesn't seem right. What am I missing?

Thanks
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attributes should only show in your admin descriptions. They should not be visible to shoppers.

If you click on the G
on the left column write product_type (leave no space before the p)
on the right column write jewelry or whatever it is (again leave no space before the j)

After you enter all your attributes and specifics, click update and then look on the basic to see if they are in brackets. You do not type in the brackets. The system does that for you.

If you see any attributes in the preview, you did something wrong.

***Not all Google attributes are supported by Ecrater. Check the list Ecrater published when attributes began. I don't think brand is as that should be in your title.
silktraveler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: aha Reply with quote

oh, Admin descriptions, I didn't know the term. Yes, when I pulled up my store with the url like a shopper might they didn't show up in the descrip. Thanks - I'm learning so much. Only 7 sales since opening last month but slow and steady is okay too! Marie
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Yes, "brand" is an accepted Google Attribute, and I use it a lot. It is on the eCRATER list under "General Attributes", along with "isbn", "mpn", and "upc".

Product Type is also on the list, but is assigned by eCRATER automatically based on the global category you choose, so you do not need to do "product type". That is why it is important to choose the correct global category on your item.

What I have been doing on something like the "isbn" when there is more than one answer to the attribute is to put them both in one attribute, separated by a comma. This is the same thing I have been doing on another one like "color", where the appropriate response might be "red, white, blue", and another one "material" where I might say "porcelain, china, ceramic", and another one "department", where I might say "toys, games", or "occasion" where I might say "seasonal, holiday, Christmas, gift". If this is not correct, I hope someone will tell us.

My interpretation of this mysterious animal - the Google Attribute - is that these are like "key words" and that they should be relevant to your product. To me, "relevant" means that you have used them in your item description and maybe even in the title, and the more times you use them in your description, the more "relevant" they are. I just kind of made this interpretation up in my own mind from reading about attributes, so if it is wrong, this would be a great place for an expert to correct me.

A complete list of accepted eCRATER attributes is found in Admin. under "promote".

Have a wonderful night!

VintageMoonbeams

Last edited by vintagemoonbeams on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:

Product Type is also on the list, but is assigned by eCRATER automatically based on the global category you choose, so you do not need to do "product type". That is why it is important to choose the correct global category on your item.

VintageMoonbeams
Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you were a moderator you would know how funny that is. A lot of sellers can't get their items in the right root category, least of all the right sub-cat.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Maggie the Cat, I believe this is true that some folks miss the mark on choosing a global category, for whatever reason. Maybe they will read this discussion, and come to understand the importance of choosing the correct global category.

However, I struggle with getting the correct global category, and a lot of my struggle is that there is sometimes not a clearly appropriate category, and/or not any appropriate subcategory for the variety of antique, collectible, and vintage items that I sell. So I just do the best I can.

According to the information in our Admin "promote" about Google Attributes, this global category is what is automatically submitted to Google for "product type". So I guess we must take our best shot, and try to come as close as we can.

Have a great night!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:
What I have been doing on something like the "isbn" when there is more than one answer to the attribute is to put them both in one attribute, separated by a comma. This is the same thing I have been doing on another one like "color", where the appropriate response might be "red, white, blue", and another one "material" where I might say "porcelain, china, ceramic", and another one "department", where I might say "toys, games", or "occasion" where I might say "seasonal, holiday, Christmas, gift". If this is not correct, I hope someone will tell us.

Thanks for the answer Vintage, but this topic is quite old (before the G button was added). In fact it was before you asked that same question of me. I already have all the attributes covered. Smile
PamperedSenses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Attributes section clarification Reply with quote

Is there a tutorial on how to add the attributes and values. I am selling candles and they dont have upc's etc
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think there are, but you might want to start your own new thread as this one is 11 years old. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: