eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to create a good title?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Creekers-This-And-That

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: How to create a good title? Reply with quote

I have looked around and although I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this forum, I haven't seen this mentioned.
On most of my items, I write the title without comma's. Like this-
"Genuine Disney Mickey Mouse Ladies Watch Yellow Base Metal with Blue Face Free Shipping"
But, I think it would look much better and be easier to read if it looked like this-
"Genuine Disney Mickey Mouse Ladies Watch, Yellow Base Metal with Blue Face, Free Shipping"

At the "auction" site, a comma would sometimes negate a keyword like in the case above, "Watch" would no longer be searchable, but "Watch," would. I know people don't search the whole ecrater site like the other site, but will the commas throw off search engines when they are searching my text for keywords? I hope I have posed my question clearly....
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
henhousegiftsandcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this page
http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/blog/2003/10/punctuation_at_google_and_mino.shtml
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one searches a search engine using a comma they are wasted space and no needed same with dashes.

Quote:
will the commas throw off search engines when they are searching my text for keywords

no
noadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to disagree with Big Tall. While commas are useless when it comes to search engines since they ignore them, they are useful breaks for human readers. I would never eliminate a keyword to make space for punctuation but if you have the space and you think the title would read better with a comma you should use it.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not FULL the space with keywords??
eBay had trained sellers to fit things into a small amount of space
you have alot a character space here - I am suggesting you use it for words and not waste it with punctuation that's all. 99% of the sellers on here don't use half the keywords they could be using
Creekers-This-And-That

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to create a good title? Reply with quote

[quote="Creekers-This-And-That"]"Genuine Disney Mickey Mouse Ladies Watch, Yellow Base Metal with Blue Face, Free Shipping"[quote]

I only used 2 commas in this example. I can't think of any good 2 letter keywords add.. It just seems alot easier to read with a seperater or 2 added. My main concern was that it would ruin whatever keyword was next to the comma.
Thanks for all your guys help!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free shipping is also a waste of space in a title and is also not true since you have included shipping in the price. I'd fill that space with condition words instead. You also could use the word Disneyana at the end since that is your specialty and people who want your watch are probably collectors who would be interested in other Disney items. When they come across your watch via a search engine, that would clue them in that you are a Disney site and not a watch or miscellaneous site.

I don't think punctuation serves any real purpose except to our literary sensibilities.
noadi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Why not FULL the space with keywords??
eBay had trained sellers to fit things into a small amount of space
you have alot a character space here - I am suggesting you use it for words and not waste it with punctuation that's all. 99% of the sellers on here don't use half the keywords they could be using

A single comma only takes one character space, I can't think of many one character keywords. If you've got only one or two character spaces left and the title would read better with a comma I'd put it in. Only if the space is available though, I'd never eliminate a keyword to add punctuation.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Genuine Disney Mickey Mouse Ladies Watch, Yellow Base Metal with Blue Face, Free Shipping

is only 89 characters -- 87 without the commas
11-13 characters is certainly enough for another keyword

As stated do away with Free Shipping in the title - isn't that on googles STOP list anyways? Like the words Travel, Epson and so many other words.
Creekers-This-And-That

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Shipping is not on Googles Stop list.
It's not my intent to have it googled anyway.
I can understand the differences in opinion here, because different people shop differently. I comparison shop frequently, and shipping is a hassle! I do not add shipping into the price of my items. I pay it. If the customer comparison shops for my items, they will see that clearly. Rolling Eyes
My first goal is to get the customer to my listing, 2nd goal is to get the customer into my listing. After researching keywords for my items, I believe I have all the relevant ones in my titles, and still have room to add free shipping. That is just my opinion, some would agree, and some would disagree....
I will take all the advice into consideration though, and if I can find relevant and effective keywords to replace Free Shipping, You bet I will!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: