eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Free shipping question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keechauctions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Free shipping question Reply with quote

Hi, something was brought to my attention by someone I know that sells on another site, and I didn't quite know how to answer them....If you sell something and put free shipping in, and they return the item, should you take out the cost for shipping, or should you return the complete amount they paid...? I'm kind of thinking you should return the full amount, but then if I think about it the other way, it seems only fair that you should take out for shipping...I don't know....What do you think?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly why I never say free shipping. You can't honestly take anything out of the refund if shipping was free.
keechauctions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggiecat, right that's what I thought too.....Or a disclaimer could probably be put in like "for any items returned on this sale, a 3.50 fee will be deducted for shipping) What are your thoughts on that?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keechauctions wrote:
Hi Maggiecat, right that's what I thought too.....Or a disclaimer could probably be put in like "for any items returned on this sale, a 3.50 fee will be deducted for shipping) What are your thoughts on that?

Then it's not free shipping and you'll get a lot of grief and fewer sales. Why list free shipping?
It if is to make it easier for yourself, just choose a flat shipping rate and use it throughout. If $3.50 will cover your expenses, then use $3.50 as a flat rate. It certainly isn't a fee that would scare people away.
keechauctions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well it's my niece that is sellling, and i guess it happened to her, i thought it a good subject to think about, since I didn't know the answer, I think I have only posted free shipping once or twice, but usually I always put in a shipping cost. And I, like you, have always thought free means free.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like "shipping included" or "including shipping" as opposed to "free shipping". "Free shipping" implies that the seller is going to foot the shipping bill and that the buyer is only paying for the item, which will be delivered by the Tooth Fairy riding on the Easter Bunny. (I mean, how else do you get free shipping????)

"Shipping included" (to me) indicates that the buyer is paying for both item and shipping in one amount. Then you could state that in case of returns, the shipping cost will be deducted from the refund and I would think you'd be OK.

I used the "shipping included" on some hot items I had at an auction site once but I didn't have any returns, so no real experience. But between cost increases and USPS increases, I haven't done it in a long time. Bottom line - There's no such thing as free shipping! Smile
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if shipping is technically quoted as free the customer is still paying for it. If not, then it's a one-way loss under normal circumstances and a two-way loss when a refund is necessary.

If I bought something that legimately needed to be returned there's no way I'd expect to get any less than what I paid for it.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for any items returned on this sale, a 3.50 fee will be deducted for shipping)

Restocking fee instead???
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tell me it's FREE shipping and then expect to charge me shipping if I return it I would NEVER return. Be up front.
Everyone knows shipping is not free. Just charge for shipping.

If I purchase and item that says free shipping and the seller agrees to a return - I expect to get back what I paid unless there is a note on the product listing regarding a return fee of some kind.
castlegifts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Restocking Fee would be good, or you can state that any returns are at the buyers expense.

JMHO
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use FREE SHIPPING in my book store as that was easier than trying to figure out the eCrater matrix. Media Mail postage, the cost of the book, and a small profit is added to each book. Selling books isnt the way to become rich! Smile

Everything sold has a 100% guarantee and can be returned for any reason for a full refund. The buyer does have to pay for the return shipping and this is stated in FAQ. Free shipping has worked for me and so far there havent been any returns or requests for refunds.

My collectible store is still On Hold and will be until I can figure how to use the matrix when shipping to Zones across the USA. Sad

joyce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: