eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Please help with scrapbook its my first time!Read story plea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuyAtJoes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Please help with scrapbook its my first time!Read story plea Reply with quote

Hello everyone I really need some ideas. My sister died last week we we're so close sometimes on the phone 5 or 10 times a day. She suffered for many years but was such a tropper never ever complained. Anyways I need to make a scrap book I'm having the hardest time with her death and I think this would help, only thing is I have never did one I need some ideas also I don't have alot of pictures shes been sick for 7 years so she wouldn't get in front of the camara very often. However I do have abot 15 pictures but I know I sure have a lot to say about her, about how she was more a mother than a sister she raised me.and we did everything together, So I thought I cold fill in alot of space just writing. I really need some help I just don't know where or how to begin. All suggestions welcome! Thanks!!!!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
mswagsandcrafts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my grandma passed I made a scrapbook depicting her life from the most oldest pics to the last. I took a rose from her casket, dried and pressed it, and placed it in the first page. I then gathered pics from other family members and copied them since I did not have many pics of my own, and did alot of journaling. Use trinkets she might have had, a hair ribbon, a bracelet, and write your most favorite moments, and you will see that even though you might not have many pics, it's writing out all of those special moments that no one but you two had, that really makes it special.
BuyAtJoes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thanks I'm in tears I have never went threw something like this. I mean really she was like a mom to me we we're 12years apart. Thank you so much I'm going to start tonight. I did get a carnation from her casket how do I dry it out I just have it laying out, is there a better way?

Ok I'm sorry for going on like this I just miss her so bad and theres no one here to talk to thanks everybody for putting up with me lol ...
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you seem to have a limited number of pictures but a lot of things to say
why not write a book or journal?
The pictures would easily fit on the pages and you would have plenty to room to write
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journaling is a big part of really good scrapbooks. Decorate pages just to journal on, or include journaling on tags or cards on pages with the photos. Go to the bookstore and look for some magazines on scrapbooking to get some ideas. There are some very good ones available. And the writer above is correct-add old birthday cards, wedding announcements, anything where she was present or involved, to give the book more meaning. These things add a lot to the book.
Just take one page at a time, journal about the photo, or memories it brings back. When the photos are all done, the sequence of them will fall together for you. it's not something you can do quickly, but very rewarding and cathartic. My condolences on your loss.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my Aunt died in her nineties, she was the oldest in the family. So her children and grandchildren did a time line to put together a scrap book.

The theme was:
When Aunt Helen was xx years old, this was happening in her life, this was happening in the world. On the page might be a picture from then or a picture/news clipping of what was happening in the world.

For example, no one had pictures from 1940-1945. My Uncle served in the Army and Aunt Helen went to work in a factory (not quite Rosie the Riveter). So they found an old Rosie the Riveter image and used that with the text explaining what was going on in my Aunt's life.
MimiesHandpaintedCraftsVariety

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister passed way when she turned 40, I did a scrapbook with her pages being Black with Gold(her favorite colors). The Gold pens are for sale just about everywhere and makes the page look with the black corners painted in gold with the pen,to me anyway really Nice.

You can also place your pictures with some corners,black, clear and gold are sold, so that you won't have to glue them in.You can remove them to have an enlargement or copies made.

I am so Sorry for your loss. Making the scrapbook will help and even actually make you smile. So many wonderful memories are hard to fit in a book-You carry most of them in your heart everyday. They kind of slip up on you,good and the hard ones.

MimieShelane
mswagsandcrafts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuyAtJoes wrote:
Aww thanks I'm in tears I have never went threw something like this. I mean really she was like a mom to me we we're 12years apart. Thank you so much I'm going to start tonight. I did get a carnation from her casket how do I dry it out I just have it laying out, is there a better way?

Ok I'm sorry for going on like this I just miss her so bad and theres no one here to talk to thanks everybody for putting up with me lol ...

I just laid the rose on a piece of acid free paper (you can use paper towels), and then another on top of the lower (like a sandwich) Lay heavy books on top like phone books, maybe three will do and wait about a week. Check on your flower maybe 3 days after you placed the books on top. After you remove the books, let the flower finish drying out. And please don't apologize for being upset. We all know what it's like to loose someone close in our lives. My mother actually went to visit her mothers grave site for the first time yesturday since she passed 10 years ago. She finally got closure.
BuyAtJoes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow some great idea's I found more pics last night and all I could do was sit on the floor and cry. I know this isn't what she would have wanted she was always happy go lucky if you asked anyone that knew her they always talked about her being happy even threw the toughest times. So scrap booking I think will help me threw this. Its so nice to be able to come on here and share good and bad times. I know I'm wearring my husband out cause I'm having a hard time even getting out of bed and cring all the time. However I can say it helps talking with such beautiful people is helping so much...
colorfultshirts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: I'm sorry! Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss! I have not done any scrapbooking, but I found these sites. I do not know if they will be helpful!

http://www.allscrapbookingideas.com/funeral-scrapbooking-ideas.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Remembrance-Scrapbooks-and-Pages-to-Memorialize-Loved-Ones&id=855585

http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/themes.html

http://www.geocities.com/shadowess_domain2001/Tomorrow.html

http://www.bereavement-poems-articles.com/
stewartsdepot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry for your loss. I havent lost any of my close family yet, and i cant even imagine how it would be.

Some more great sites are:

My Store:
http://stewartsdepot.ecrater.com

Others:

http://happytoscrapbook.myctmh.com

creativememories.com

Good Stores to Shop At are Michael's and Hooby Lobby
mswagsandcrafts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh, another idea to keep a special momento, my mother found a graet photo of grandma, and took it to a jewelry store that makes 14 kt. gold necklaces, that have the photo laysered on a gold pendant (not a locket). The photo is even in color, so it's a perfect picture of grandma that she will always have close to her heart.
goldfashionmine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really sorry about your sister Sad

does she have kids? maybe you may want to cut out images that remind you of her.

a great place to go are magazines that are filled with colors. you can cut out and then paste.

maybe she likes garden? flowers? nature? mountains? cooking?

around the page, you can make a border using these cutout images. and in the middle you can write your thoughts.

if she has kids, you may want to put their pictures in there. since they look like her, then that would very much remind you of her.

it gives me goosebumps just reading your words. i hope you get through your tough times.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: